Re: Help with clip programming

  • diodeom
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2010
      "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:

      > I've found myself stuck on what should have been a fairly simple task.

      Have you considered ^!Select Paragraphs?
    • diodeom
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2010
        > Have you considered ^!Select Paragraphs?

        An example:

        ^!Select Paragraphs
        ^!IfMatch "^[^\r]++\R" "^$GetSelection$" Next Else Skip
        ^!Select -2
        ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
        ^!InsertText *^$GetClipboard$*
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2010
          Yes, same result as ^!Select Lines. When the parens are involved, it throws a Regex error and fails.

          The selection looks good with both. How do I place parens around the whole selection, not just the
          token?

          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2010
            It looks like ^& refers only to the "original" selection, not the one extended with ^!SelectLines (or -Paragraphs). Have you tried, as in my sample, to explicitly ^$GetSelection$ and store it either in Clipboard or as a variable? (It does the job for me.) Would you post your code?

            "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:

            > Yes, same result as ^!Select Lines. When the parens are involved, it throws a Regex error and fails.
            >
            > The selection looks good with both. How do I place parens around the whole selection, not just the
            > token?
            >
            > Regards,
            > John

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2010
              I got a version to work. One problem is that I was using RS for options on the replace, which means
              the parens in the variable were not escaped. Removing the R fixed that regex error.

              The other problem was that the trailing CR is included in the GetSelection which causes the closing
              paren to be on the next line. Instead of manipulating the variable, I just fixed it post replace.

              Thanks for the assist!

              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2010
                "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:
                > The other problem was that the trailing CR is included
                > in the GetSelection which causes the closing paren to
                > be on the next line. Instead of manipulating the
                > variable, I just fixed it post replace.

                Yes, sir. (To overcome this, I proposed probably overly complex conditional shrinking of the selection from its end by these very two offending CRLF characters, ^!Select -2.)

                And sorry for the following (oopsie!) redundancy:

                > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
                > ^!InsertText (^$GetClipboard$)

                There ain't no need to "store" nothin. It could just read:
                ^!InsertText (^$GetSelection$)
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 8 , May 5, 2010
                  I always learn something. Thanks, I added the:
                  ^!Select -2
                  And now it works better.
                  After rereading the help, I understand how it works, but it never dawned on me during my
                  experimentation.

                  I have a 'My Notes' clip in my main library. I add notes that clarify how to do things there. It is
                  just a NoteTab text file stored in the Documents folder, but it is called up by a clip. I usually
                  have it as one of my open documents so I can add to it when necessary. This deserves to go there.