Re: [Clip] use of notetab to download files off internet

    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 5:26 AM
      Don wrote:
      > They open in notetab as read only files.
      > On my old machine this was not true.

      I think it's the browser. If you tell most browsers to "open with" a
      file instead of "save as" then on closing the browser it will delete the
      file. I presume your new browser retains ownership of the file, while
      the old one did not. The solution I use in every case, where I want to
      do more with a file than just have a quick look into it, is not to open
      it from the browser but save it and open from disk.

      Axel
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 5:29 AM
        Hi
        under "document" drop down to the bottom and un tick read only.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2 5:43 AM
          On 5/2/2010 8:26 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
          > Don wrote:
          >
          >> They open in notetab as read only files.
          >> On my old machine this was not true.
          >>
          > I think it's the browser. If you tell most browsers to "open with" a
          > file instead of "save as" then on closing the browser it will delete the
          > file. I presume your new browser retains ownership of the file, while
          > the old one did not. The solution I use in every case, where I want to
          > do more with a file than just have a quick look into it, is not to open
          > it from the browser but save it and open from disk.
          >
          > Axel

          I am in firefox, I click tools/options and then choose application
          notetab pro.
          I don't see any option there to change how it downloads it.

          Dave, your idea works that is better than having to save it -- but if I
          could figure out how to not have it as read only in the first place.
          Axel may be right -- it may be caused by the browser.
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2 6:18 AM
            Don wrote:
            > I don't see any option there to change how it downloads it.

            I hope I've got this right, I haven't changed anything here in a long
            time. When clicking a link to a file a box pops up letting me choose
            either "open with" <the program that kind of file is connected to in my
            registry> or "save as" with the preselection on the one I have chosen
            last time. There is also an option "do this automatically from now on
            without asking". I think you may have ticked that one some time in the
            past. If so I guess you'll find it included under
            Tools > Options > Download > View & Edit Actions
            and can delete it there.

            N.B: The connection to read-only also is just a guess.

            Axel
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3 11:45 AM
              Don,

              The other posters are correct in that it is a setting in your browser.

              A browser determines a file type by its MIME tag, not by its extension
              (but they should correlate.)
              The MIME type you probably are looking for is text/plain)
              See: http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/mime-types.shtml
              or Google "MIME text/" [http://www.google.com/search?q=MIME+text]
              For the history and general info on the MIME system see:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME
              [which also contains links to the six W3C RFC complete spec docs.]

              For Firefox, go to Tools | Options | Applications
              Scroll down to Text Document
              Click in the right hand column
              You can choose among:
              Always ask
              Save file
              (Open with) selectable/specifiable programs

              For Opera, go to Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Downloads
              You can add or edit the text/plain MIME entry there.

              Now aren't you glad you asked??? ;-)

              Namaste', Art

              f y cn rd ths, y cn wrk s a tchncl wrtr!
              - John McMullen