use of notetab to download files off internet

  • Don
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2010
      I often work in a site where I download text files. They open in
      notetab as read only files. On my old machine this was not true. I
      cannot for the life of me figure out where to adjust this as I need to
      edit the files. Currently I need to then save them (even though I don't
      want/need to) before I can edit them. I've run view/options/tabs and
      I'm not seeing it.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2010
        Don wrote:
        > They open in notetab as read only files.
        > On my old machine this was not true.

        I think it's the browser. If you tell most browsers to "open with" a
        file instead of "save as" then on closing the browser it will delete the
        file. I presume your new browser retains ownership of the file, while
        the old one did not. The solution I use in every case, where I want to
        do more with a file than just have a quick look into it, is not to open
        it from the browser but save it and open from disk.

        Axel
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2010
          Hi
          under "document" drop down to the bottom and un tick read only.
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          >I often work in a site where I download text files. They open in
          > notetab as read only files. On my old machine this was not true. I
          > cannot for the life of me figure out where to adjust this as I need to
          > edit the files. Currently I need to then save them (even though I don't
          > want/need to) before I can edit them. I've run view/options/tabs and
          > I'm not seeing it.

        • Don
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2010
            On 5/2/2010 8:26 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
            > Don wrote:
            >
            >> They open in notetab as read only files.
            >> On my old machine this was not true.
            >>
            > I think it's the browser. If you tell most browsers to "open with" a
            > file instead of "save as" then on closing the browser it will delete the
            > file. I presume your new browser retains ownership of the file, while
            > the old one did not. The solution I use in every case, where I want to
            > do more with a file than just have a quick look into it, is not to open
            > it from the browser but save it and open from disk.
            >
            > Axel

            I am in firefox, I click tools/options and then choose application
            notetab pro.
            I don't see any option there to change how it downloads it.

            Dave, your idea works that is better than having to save it -- but if I
            could figure out how to not have it as read only in the first place.
            Axel may be right -- it may be caused by the browser.
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2010
              Don wrote:
              > I don't see any option there to change how it downloads it.

              I hope I've got this right, I haven't changed anything here in a long
              time. When clicking a link to a file a box pops up letting me choose
              either "open with" <the program that kind of file is connected to in my
              registry> or "save as" with the preselection on the one I have chosen
              last time. There is also an option "do this automatically from now on
              without asking". I think you may have ticked that one some time in the
              past. If so I guess you'll find it included under
              Tools > Options > Download > View & Edit Actions
              and can delete it there.

              N.B: The connection to read-only also is just a guess.

              Axel
            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2010
                Don,

                The other posters are correct in that it is a setting in your browser.

                A browser determines a file type by its MIME tag, not by its extension
                (but they should correlate.)
                The MIME type you probably are looking for is text/plain)
                See: http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/mime-types.shtml
                or Google "MIME text/" [http://www.google.com/search?q=MIME+text]
                For the history and general info on the MIME system see:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME
                [which also contains links to the six W3C RFC complete spec docs.]

                For Firefox, go to Tools | Options | Applications
                Scroll down to Text Document
                Click in the right hand column
                You can choose among:
                Always ask
                Save file
                (Open with) selectable/specifiable programs

                For Opera, go to Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Downloads
                You can add or edit the text/plain MIME entry there.

                Now aren't you glad you asked??? ;-)

                Namaste', Art

                f y cn rd ths, y cn wrk s a tchncl wrtr!
                - John McMullen