Re: [Clip] Clip to get the day of the week of a given date yyyymmdd

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2010
      Useful for genealogy, calculating dates referenced as "Last Tuesday"
      as an example. A lot of sources, (newspapers) have a publication date
      and state "20 Inst" which would the the 20th of the current month, or
      Ult. (the last month).

      Also a lot of genealogy sources like grave markers and Death Certs,
      list age in Tears, months and days, but fail to state the actual birth
      date. calculating that would be a good NoteTab clip, although there are
      web-based calculators already out there.

      Jeff

      --

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      Flockmaster,

      http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

      Play AstroEmpires
      http://beta.astroempires.com/?ref=B.115420

      "There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

      AND: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

      Robert Anson Heinlein, 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' 1966

      Politicians invest in "Pork futures", the more PORK, the better their future.
      WE need a "Low Cholesterol Diet."

    • orkgandalf
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2010
        Thanks much, that's wonderful and resolves my problem.
        Is there a way to assign a hotkey to execute it?
        Cheers! Orks.
      • diodeom
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 21, 2010
          "orkgandalf" <orkgandalf@...> wrote:

          > Thanks much, that's wonderful and resolves my problem.
          > Is there a way to assign a hotkey to execute it?
          > Cheers! Orks.

          As far as I know, calling clips by custom keys isn't directly supported in NoteTab (yet?!?); however, there is the built-in alternative of "Esc" key, which brings up the combo box of current library's clips to select from. If you give your clip (its header) a name that starts with some unique letter within a given library (or, I think, if you place this clip ahead of others that start with the same letter), you can activate it by the sequence of three keys. Say, if your clip is named "Day," hitting "Esc," then "D" and then "Enter" should do the trick.

          In this case you could let your clip do the highlighting of the date for you as well -- and activate it when your cursor is placed immediately after any eight-digit date you want to process.

          ^!Select -8
          ^!InsertText ^$GetDateFromInt(^$GetDateToInt(^$GetSelection$;yyyymmdd)$;yyyymmdd-ddd)$

          For some occasions you could also find this two-key shortcut useful: "Ctrl"+"Space" runs the last executed clip.
        • loro
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2010
            diodeom wrote:
            >orkgandalf wrote:
            > > Is there a way to assign a hotkey to execute it?
            > there is the built-in alternative of "Esc" key, which brings up
            > the combo box of current library's clips to select from.

            There's also Auto-replace Mode. You find it on the Tools menu. When
            it's on, you can type the the name of a clip in the open clipbook and
            when you hit spacebar (or another activation key) what you typed will
            be replaced with the text in the clip, alternatively the text is
            deleted and the clip is run. If you want you can make a whole library
            use auto-replace without the need to turn it on manually from the
            menu. As an example you can look at the library called AutoCorrect
            that's provided with Notetab.

            Ironically you don't find it if you search Help for auto-replace, but
            you do if you search of autocorrect. It's in the ordinary help file,
            not Clip
            Help.

            Lotta