Move Tabs

  • thefrankwmx
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
      I have been using NTP since v3 days with great satisfaction. After all this time I think I may have found something that would actually improve NoteTab, at least for me.

      I usually have many tabs open at the same time working on collections of files. I am building new files using snippets of code from other files, maintaining variable names across interconnected files, etc.

      When I close a file then reopen it, the reopened file is loaded as a tab at the right of all open tabs. This is fine with me. But if I want to reorder the tabs so I am working on an easy-to-toggle group of tabs at the right I have two options:

      first
      1 reset tab display with [View > Stack Document Tabs]
      2 close the tabs I want to move
      3 reopen each of these, which will load them at the right

      second
      1 scroll left through the tabs to find the one I want to move
      2 click and drag the tab to the right, one pageview at a time
      3 repeat this process for each tab I want to move right

      Either of these options is time-consuming. I suspect I have spent many hours over the last 10 years, maybe days altogether, just moving tabs around to make my next task easier.

      So I though I would build a clip to simply close and reopen the focused tab. But then I got to thinking...If I could do that then how hard would it be to add a button under View, under Stack Document Tabs, that said Move Tab To End, and then, when clicked, did exactly that?

      Fairly impossible for me of course, but probably not for Mr Fookes.

      So this is my contribution. I hope enough NoteTab users will find it has sufficient merit that Eric will build it into the next version.

      Regards,
      tf
    • john041650
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
        > I want to reorder the tabs

        Right click a tab and choose the option to allow reordering.
      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
          Hmmm,

          That only applies to STAKCED tabs. When you do not have the tabs stacked, you can just drag a document tab to the desired location, a' la Windows drag 'n drop (left-click on tab, drag it to destination, then release mouse button).

          Programming a clip to move a document to the END position is easy enough: 1. close the document, 2. reopen it again.
          See Clip code help, "Document Management".

          Programming to move a doc tab elsewhere is NOT so easy. There are no built-in functions for inserting a doc tab between two others.

          Cheers,

          Eb

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "john041650" <john041650@...> wrote:

          > > I want to reorder the tabs
          >

          > Right click a tab and choose the option to allow reordering.

        • loro
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
            thefrankwmx wrote:
            >first
            >1 reset tab display with [View > Stack Document Tabs]
            >2 close the tabs I want to move
            >3 reopen each of these, which will load them at the right

            4. Grab a tab by lclicking and holding down the left mouse button and
            drag it to where you want it. If the tabs are stacked you must check
            Allow Reordering first.

            I have a button on the clipbar that moves the focused document to the
            right end of the tab bar, as you were talking about. The only problem
            with that is that is that the document has to be saved first as it
            need to be closed and reopened and perhaps one doesn't want to save it.

            Lotta
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010

              Ignore the other clips in that library. They were written for NoteTab 4.95, needed Perl and other auxiliary software, and I don't think they would work currently without some changes.

            • tf_ntp
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 13, 2010
                thanks for all replies. yes the tabs may be reordered using a few existing methods. but the existing methods take a certain amount of time to do.

                my point is that it takes time to reorder tabs. if this small task is something done frequently then the time adds up.

                since I end up spending a significant amount of time reordering tabs I was thinking to improve that task efficiency.

                work efficiency is exactly why I will write a clip in the first place: to make a one-click operation out of a series of tasks. its also why I use NTP instead of other offerings.

                for now I think a custom clipbar is a good solution for what I need. I am thinking 2 buttons: one to move the focused tab far right and then set focus on tab next to where it was, the other to move the focused tab far right then set focus on the far right tab.

                of course it would also be nice to have these as presets in the next version...

                regards,
                tf
              • tf_ntp
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
                  well shucks. nobody liked my idea...

                  "A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." -- Julius

                  tf
                • loro
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
                    tf wrote:
                    >well shucks. nobody liked my idea...

                    Don't be sad. That happens to ALL my ideas.

                    Lotta