Re: [Clip] Assistance needed: CLIP to add functionality to .LOG function.

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2010
      On 3/6/2010 6:06 AM, howstah wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I discovered the .LOG function for NTP files and love the idea to save time and get quick access to a file.
      >
      > Does anyone know if there is a clip which has added fucntionality to this idea? My problem is I need instant immediate access to writing in NTP, my text editor of choice!
      >
      > Here is what's needed : basically a one-click-opening instant diary, which, like a blog, pushes down the content - NOT appends to the end:
      >
      > * when file opens fires a clip which inserts date etc. AT TOP of existing material
      > * moves past that date text& adds 2x lines whitespace (CRLF's?)
      > * cursor sits focussed ready to type
      >
      > I am unable to grasp clip programming at all, tried for years, I have NO math skills, I make films 8-) so invite all to assist if possible.
      >
      > Your help is gratefully accepted. Regards -- Howard

      Math skills are definitely not needed!

      Following will not keep ".LOG" on the top line, it is for use with a
      plain file.

      Change the first line of the clip below so that it points to your file.
      You can spell it out in full e.g., "C:\myfile.txt" or use a folder token
      in it (folder tokens are listed in the main help file, e.g., %MyDocs% is
      short for your My Documents folder which otherwise would need to be
      spelled out in full, "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents"

      The clip will open the file (or try to create it if it doesn't exist)
      and will then create a log entry ready to type.

      The clip panel (shown with F4) should be open, and the clip library
      where you want to add the clip should be loaded. Copy the edited clip
      text to the clipboard, then right click over the clip list and select
      "Add from Clipboard". Give the clip a name when prompted. Right-click
      again and choose "Save Now". In NoteTab Pro, you can put the clip on the
      clip bar by dragging it from the clip listing onto the clip bar.
      Right-click the item and choose Button Properties to change the icon,
      then right-click again on the clip bar and choose Save Clipbar to save
      it. The clipbar is the most convenient place to run it with 1-click access.

      You can play with the date and time format, and/or change the number of
      line breaks and cursor positioning if you want. Right-click the item in
      the clip panel and select Edit Clip. Hopefully that would help acclimate
      you to clip writing.

      ^!Set %mylog%="%MyDocs%\mylog.txt"
      ^!IfFileExist "^%mylog%" Next ELSE Skip_2
      ^!Open "^%mylog%"
      ^!Goto DoEntry
      ^!Toolbar New Document
      ^!Save As "^%mylog%"