[Clip] Re: modifying format of stats tool output & concatenating stats from many files

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010

      > On 3/1/2010 12:18 PM, diodeom wrote:
      > > ^!Set %varnames%="^$GetDocListAll("(?i)(^\^\!Set(Array|Code)?\x20|;\x20?)\K%[\d\pL_]+?%(?=\=)";"^!ClearVariable $0\r\n")$"
      >
      > Could one of you break this line down item by item (on the right
      > side of the = sign anyway) for those of us who are slower ...
      >
      > ?i = case insensitive?
      > ^ means at start of a line?
      > \^ means a carrot actually exists on the text?
      > \! means an ! actually exists in the text?
      > Set either Array or Code? is actually in the text?
      > So this is to update a clip?
      >
      > ? means find first ... non-greedy?
      > \x20 is a space?
      > I'm pretty well lost after that ...
      >
      > I even bottom posted cause I want to know.

      Hi Don, I've missed you!

      Maybe it would help to know that that clip is meant to be run from the clipbar while clipedit is the active document. It shows the names of variables found in clip currently being edited. GetDocListAll gives the opportunity to format the matches, so they are formatted with the ClearVariable command in front of each one. The purpose is just to help make the list of ClearVariable commands needed to clear only the variables actually Set by the clip being written.

      It only finds %xxx% if:
      - it follows a line start followed by ^!Set or ^!SetCode or ^!SetArray and one space, OR if it follows a semicolon (anywhere on a line) plus an optional space
      - it is followed by an equal sign

      "(?=" signifies a lookahead assertion. There is an equal sign inside the look ahead assertion, (?=\=). It may not need that backslash, but it makes it easier to see (at least for me). So, an equal sign must follow (looking ahead) the %xxx% to be a match. The equal sign is not actually part of the matched text.

      The search is case insensitive so that ^!set works as well as ^!Set or any other mixed case that might be found.

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
        > Hi Don, I've missed you!
        Guest appearance ;-) Prodigal son?

        > "(?=" signifies a lookahead assertion. There is an equal sign inside the look ahead assertion, (?=\=). It may not need that backslash, but it makes it easier to see (at least for me). So, an equal sign must follow (looking ahead) the %xxx% to be a match. The equal sign is not actually part of the matched text.

        Look ahead and look back assertions are currently over my head -- I need
        to solve that. It's funny in one way because regex won't search
        backwards, but it will look back ...

        So that bit that kind of looks like a rear end ... (?=\=) ... really is
        just to say "followed by an equals sign." It has three characters (?=
        to say look ahead ... find an equals sign (escaped for good measure) and
        closing parenthesis.

        If we wanted the search pattern followed by a letter R it would be (?=R)
        if I follow correctly ... can it also accept or patterns (?=r|R) and so
        forth?
      • diodeom
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
          "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

          > I wrote:
          > >
          > > And I'd guess ^!Set %varnames%="" may be a leftover from
          > > before :Clear existed?
          >
          > There is this in the docs:
          >
          > "If you assign an empty value to an array variable, or use the
          > ^!Set command to assign a new value to it, the array is
          > automatically removed from memory."
          >
          > ... so out of an abundance of caution, I set the array variable
          > equal to empty string before using ClearVariable on it.

          My overly concise suggestion didn't imply it well: it was because I'm aware of what setting a variable to empty does — and of your high standards — that I assumed you didn't mean to do the same thing twice. I speculated that maybe as you were writing this clip, initially ^!Set %varnames%="" was the last line, and after adding a provision for cases where no variables are captured, which called for a label :Clear, its removal was overlooked (or an alternative of just placing the label right above it). Sorry, Sheri; I'm sure it's not the last time I guessed incorrectly. (I'm also quite certain it won't stop me from trying... :)
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
            On 3/2/2010 8:56 AM, diodeom wrote:
            > "Sheri"<silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I wrote:
            >>
            >>> And I'd guess ^!Set %varnames%="" may be a leftover from
            >>> before :Clear existed?
            >>>
            >> There is this in the docs:
            >>
            >> "If you assign an empty value to an array variable, or use the
            >> ^!Set command to assign a new value to it, the array is
            >> automatically removed from memory."
            >>
            >> ... so out of an abundance of caution, I set the array variable
            >> equal to empty string before using ClearVariable on it.
            >>

            > My overly concise suggestion didn't imply it well: it was because I'm aware of what setting a variable to empty does — and of your high standards — that I assumed you didn't mean to do the same thing twice. I speculated that maybe as you were writing this clip, initially ^!Set %varnames%="" was the last line, and after adding a provision for cases where no variables are captured, which called for a label :Clear, its removal was overlooked (or an alternative of just placing the label right above it). Sorry, Sheri; I'm sure it's not the last time I guessed incorrectly. (I'm also quite certain it won't stop me from trying... :)

            LOL. I'm deleting the line, this clip doesn't even create an array for
            varnames. Probably an earlier version did. Will try to pay better
            attention next time.

          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 5, 2010
              Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2010-03-01 at
              15:41):
              > Maybe it would help to know that that clip is meant to be run from the
              > clipbar while clipedit is the active document. It shows the names of
              > variables found in clip currently being edited. GetDocListAll gives
              > the opportunity to format the matches, so they are formatted with the
              > ClearVariable command in front of each one. The purpose is just to
              > help make the list of ClearVariable commands needed to clear only the
              > variables actually Set by the clip being written.
              >
              > It only finds %xxx% if:
              > - it follows a line start followed by ^!Set or ^!SetCode or ^!SetArray
              > and one space, OR if it follows a semicolon (anywhere on a line) plus
              > an optional space
              > - it is followed by an equal sign
              I was on holiday (got back yesterday) and am just noodling thru the
              large number of posts during the past week.

              I read this thread but didn't test any of the example code.

              > > > ^!Set %varnames%="
              >
              > ^$GetDocListAll("(?i)(^\^\!Set(Array|Code)?\x20|;\x20?)\K%[\d\pL_]+?%(?=\=)";"^!ClearVariable
              > $0\r\n")$"

              Sheri: wrt to your "find variables for clearing" clip. You appear from
              the comments but haven't checked the regex itself, to be expecting a
              variable xxx to be defined as:
              ^!set %xxx%=asdf
              Following works though I use the construct without %...% only
              accidentally :-[ :
              ^!set xxx=asdf
              ^!info ^%xxx%

              Will your clip capture this usage?

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 6, 2010
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

                > Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2010-03-01 at
                > 15:41):
                > >
                > > ^$GetDocListAll("(?i)(^\^\!Set(Array|Code)?\x20|;\x20?)\K%[\d\pL_]+?%(?=\=)";"^!ClearVariable
                > > $0\r\n")$"
                > >

                > Sheri: wrt to your "find variables for clearing" clip. You appear
                > from the comments but haven't checked the regex itself, to be
                > expecting a
                >
                > variable xxx to be defined as:
                > ^!set %xxx%=asdf
                > Following works though I use the construct without %...% only
                > accidentally :-[ :
                > ^!set xxx=asdf
                > ^!info ^%xxx%
                >
                > Will your clip capture this usage?

                No, of course not. :)

                But (sigh) I suppose by failing to capture them, it is remotely possible that some "accidental" variables would fail to get released.

                So perhaps it would be better to modify the capture part as follows:

                ^!Set %varnames%="^$GetDocListAll("(?i)(^\^\!Set(Array|Code)?\x20|;\x20?)\K(%?)([\d\pL_]+?)\3(?=\=)";"^!ClearVariable %$4%\r\n")$"