Re: [Clip] Re: ^!MkDir

  • loro
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 4 4:02 AM
      Axel Berger wrote:
      >loro wrote:
      > > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
      > > command.com and cmd.exe here.
      >
      >Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
      >memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
      >fine.

      Ah, I didn't understand that. Thank you.

      Lotta
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 4 6:39 AM
        This is an interesting thread though getting close to off-topic now. :-)
        (though all of the stuff we're talking about CAN be run from an NTB clip)

        I'm running WinXP and have cygwin and UnxUtils installed. I can't find
        any mkdirhier *BUT* when I check help for cygwin's mkdir I get:
        > sh-3.2$ mkdir --help
        > Usage: mkdir [OPTION] DIRECTORY...
        > Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.
        >
        > Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
        > -m, --mode=MODE set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask
        > -p, --parents no error if existing, make parent directories as
        > needed
        > -v, --verbose print a message for each created directory
        > -Z, --context=CTX set the SELinux security context of each created
        > directory to CTX
        > --help display this help and exit
        > --version output version information and exit
        so the --parents argument appears to be what Lotta originally wanted.
        Note: that (afaict) executing mkdir at cmd prompt uses the (native) DOS
        mkdir while entering 'bash' or 'sh' (ie. one of the unix shells) at
        that command prompt ... then ... mkdir executes the cygwin or UnxUtils
        mkdir.exe

        so that gives us about 100 different ways to skin the cat :-)

        Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

        Al wrote:
        > loro wrote:
        >
        >> Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
        >> command.com and cmd.exe here.
        >>

        > Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
        > instead uses things like /home
        >
        > sh
        >
        > bash
        >
        > (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)
        >
        > mkdir
        >
        > for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
        > Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
        > computer's resources)
        >
        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
        > new1/
        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
        > /home/al/temp/tst
        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
        > /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$

      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 4 11:22 AM
          Hi,

          This looks as an elegant solution, and is not too much OT.

          http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/productivity-tips/creating-multiple-sub-folders-using-mkdir-from-a-command-prompt.html

          Hugo

          ________________________________

          --
          Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@ skype)

        • Al
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 4 9:17 PM
            Alec Burgess wrote:

            <snip has cygwin on Win XP>
            > Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

            Yours didn't (go OT) 'cause I guess you can use Notetab to run your
            Cygwin bash shell. BTW I used to run Cygwin (which has a rather
            powerful bash shell, BTW). But see my "sys" a few paragraphs down, I no
            longer have a need for Cygwin.

            Mine post here speaks not of Notetab but of "program able" and mkdir as
            relative to the bash shell.

            So, as courtesy, I would go to Off Topic list if/with yet any further in
            this "program able" vein that is or falls outside of the realm of
            Notetab and DOS or the program able Notetab editor. Thank you.

            al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
            Slackware 12.2.0
            al@P5Q:~$

            Yep, mkdir -p (So I have at least 2 different ways to do it natively
            already onboard my sys) (ha ha, I got Win beat <grin>) -- my sys is
            Slackware 12.2 with the KDE desktop. On this sys is also the KVM virtual
            machine in which, amongst others, I have a Win XP and a Win 7 (which, at
            my whim) I may run and also I may use in said virtual machine. (I do
            have Notetab on that Win which runs in KVM).

            On my sys mkdir is a binary executable (the Linux equvalent of a Win
            .exe file) (Linux does not use file extensions which is a Win thing)

            al@P5Q:/bin$ lsag mkdir
            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30968 2008-09-20 20:18 mkdir*
            al@P5Q:/bin$ pwd
            /bin
            al@P5Q:/bin$

            note: in next, the 1st ls returned nothing which means tst is an empty dir
            until we run the mkdir -p command and then ls now reveals sub folder(s)

            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdir -p ./test1/test2/test3
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
            test1/
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd test1/test2/test3
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$ pwd
            /home/al/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$

            on my sys, mkdirhier is a sh (shell script). Just as DOS is scriptable,
            as Hugo pointed out, so is the Linux bash shell
            (scriptable/programmable) very much so.

            So, program able Notetab editor, program able DOS, program able bash shell.

            al@P5Q:~$ which mkdirhier
            /usr/bin/mkdirhier

            al@P5Q:~$ cat /usr/bin/mkdirhier
            #!/bin/sh
            # $Xorg: mkdirhier.sh,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:41:53 cpqbld Exp $
            # Courtesy of Paul Eggert

            newline='

            <snip various case scenarios (protections against idiot user or
            keyboarding mistake)>
            <y'all don't want a bunch of new lines as a folder name on your hard
            drive, right?>

            # next, can seen the for loop that does the actual duty
            # It's much like the for loop that Hugo pointed out, DOS script style
            # but this is a bash script, not a DOS batch file

            for filename
            do
            path=$prefix$filename
            prefix=$path/
            shift

            test -d "$path" || {
            paths=$path
            for filename
            do
            if [ -n "$filename" -a "$filename" != "." ]; then
            path=$path/$filename
            paths=$paths$newline$path
            fi
            done

            mkdir $paths || status=$?

            break
            }
            done
            done

            exit $status
            # end

            Alan.
          • Al
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 5 1:18 PM
              FWIW

              Win XP (mkdir /?) command console (cmd.exe I guess) "whether or not
              extensions are installed" makes a difference.

              next (500KB file size) is a screen shot of mkdir help (mkdir /?) from
              Win XP command console

              http://spiffyminer.tripod.com/mkdir_com.htm

              Additionally, said help reports "if extensions are installed"

              My bash mkdirhier and the content of web page Hugo pointed out, each
              could be considered an extension.

              And, how these "extend" is that these are script/batch_file that extends
              the capability of a built in command (via the use of for loop, etc. so
              as to gain even greater functionality).

              My guess is that the "extensions" mentioned on the mkdir help screen may
              be batch files or similar script files by Microsoft.

              Alan.