RE: [Clip] Re: ^!MkDir

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
      To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows. Simply scroll to the command you want to (re)execute, change it
      if necessary, and hit enter. I started with DOS before there was MS Dos. CPM. I still have my old DOS 5 bible, and one
      for XP also. J (But my 4-floppy Kaypro is long gone. (1983)). We used to have to write our own drivers for modems, etc.
      And we used BBS systems, which were all dial up.THANKS MICROSOFT, for standardizing things!

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
        John Shotsky wrote:
        > To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows.

        Yes and with 4DOS too, but not DOS 7.0 and earlier.

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
          loro wrote:
          > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
          > command.com and cmd.exe here.

          Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
          memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
          fine.

          Axel
        • Al
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
            loro wrote:
            > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
            > command.com and cmd.exe here.

            Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
            instead uses things like /home

            sh

            bash

            (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)

            mkdir

            for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
            Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
            computer's resources)

            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
            new1/
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
            /home/al/temp/tst
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
            /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$
          • loro
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
              Axel Berger wrote:
              >loro wrote:
              > > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
              > > command.com and cmd.exe here.
              >
              >Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
              >memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
              >fine.

              Ah, I didn't understand that. Thank you.

              Lotta
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                This is an interesting thread though getting close to off-topic now. :-)
                (though all of the stuff we're talking about CAN be run from an NTB clip)

                I'm running WinXP and have cygwin and UnxUtils installed. I can't find
                any mkdirhier *BUT* when I check help for cygwin's mkdir I get:
                > sh-3.2$ mkdir --help
                > Usage: mkdir [OPTION] DIRECTORY...
                > Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.
                >
                > Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
                > -m, --mode=MODE set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask
                > -p, --parents no error if existing, make parent directories as
                > needed
                > -v, --verbose print a message for each created directory
                > -Z, --context=CTX set the SELinux security context of each created
                > directory to CTX
                > --help display this help and exit
                > --version output version information and exit
                so the --parents argument appears to be what Lotta originally wanted.
                Note: that (afaict) executing mkdir at cmd prompt uses the (native) DOS
                mkdir while entering 'bash' or 'sh' (ie. one of the unix shells) at
                that command prompt ... then ... mkdir executes the cygwin or UnxUtils
                mkdir.exe

                so that gives us about 100 different ways to skin the cat :-)

                Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                Al wrote:
                > loro wrote:
                >
                >> Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                >> command.com and cmd.exe here.
                >>

                > Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                > instead uses things like /home
                >
                > sh
                >
                > bash
                >
                > (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)
                >
                > mkdir
                >
                > for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                > Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                > computer's resources)
                >
                > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                > new1/
                > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                > /home/al/temp/tst
                > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                > /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$

              • Hugo Paulissen
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                  Hi,

                  This looks as an elegant solution, and is not too much OT.

                  http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/productivity-tips/creating-multiple-sub-folders-using-mkdir-from-a-command-prompt.html

                  Hugo

                  ________________________________

                  --
                  Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@ skype)

                • Al
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                    Alec Burgess wrote:

                    <snip has cygwin on Win XP>
                    > Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                    Yours didn't (go OT) 'cause I guess you can use Notetab to run your
                    Cygwin bash shell. BTW I used to run Cygwin (which has a rather
                    powerful bash shell, BTW). But see my "sys" a few paragraphs down, I no
                    longer have a need for Cygwin.

                    Mine post here speaks not of Notetab but of "program able" and mkdir as
                    relative to the bash shell.

                    So, as courtesy, I would go to Off Topic list if/with yet any further in
                    this "program able" vein that is or falls outside of the realm of
                    Notetab and DOS or the program able Notetab editor. Thank you.

                    al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
                    Slackware 12.2.0
                    al@P5Q:~$

                    Yep, mkdir -p (So I have at least 2 different ways to do it natively
                    already onboard my sys) (ha ha, I got Win beat <grin>) -- my sys is
                    Slackware 12.2 with the KDE desktop. On this sys is also the KVM virtual
                    machine in which, amongst others, I have a Win XP and a Win 7 (which, at
                    my whim) I may run and also I may use in said virtual machine. (I do
                    have Notetab on that Win which runs in KVM).

                    On my sys mkdir is a binary executable (the Linux equvalent of a Win
                    .exe file) (Linux does not use file extensions which is a Win thing)

                    al@P5Q:/bin$ lsag mkdir
                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30968 2008-09-20 20:18 mkdir*
                    al@P5Q:/bin$ pwd
                    /bin
                    al@P5Q:/bin$

                    note: in next, the 1st ls returned nothing which means tst is an empty dir
                    until we run the mkdir -p command and then ls now reveals sub folder(s)

                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdir -p ./test1/test2/test3
                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                    test1/
                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd test1/test2/test3
                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$ pwd
                    /home/al/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3
                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$

                    on my sys, mkdirhier is a sh (shell script). Just as DOS is scriptable,
                    as Hugo pointed out, so is the Linux bash shell
                    (scriptable/programmable) very much so.

                    So, program able Notetab editor, program able DOS, program able bash shell.

                    al@P5Q:~$ which mkdirhier
                    /usr/bin/mkdirhier

                    al@P5Q:~$ cat /usr/bin/mkdirhier
                    #!/bin/sh
                    # $Xorg: mkdirhier.sh,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:41:53 cpqbld Exp $
                    # Courtesy of Paul Eggert

                    newline='

                    <snip various case scenarios (protections against idiot user or
                    keyboarding mistake)>
                    <y'all don't want a bunch of new lines as a folder name on your hard
                    drive, right?>

                    # next, can seen the for loop that does the actual duty
                    # It's much like the for loop that Hugo pointed out, DOS script style
                    # but this is a bash script, not a DOS batch file

                    for filename
                    do
                    path=$prefix$filename
                    prefix=$path/
                    shift

                    test -d "$path" || {
                    paths=$path
                    for filename
                    do
                    if [ -n "$filename" -a "$filename" != "." ]; then
                    path=$path/$filename
                    paths=$paths$newline$path
                    fi
                    done

                    mkdir $paths || status=$?

                    break
                    }
                    done
                    done

                    exit $status
                    # end

                    Alan.
                  • Al
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 5, 2010
                      FWIW

                      Win XP (mkdir /?) command console (cmd.exe I guess) "whether or not
                      extensions are installed" makes a difference.

                      next (500KB file size) is a screen shot of mkdir help (mkdir /?) from
                      Win XP command console

                      http://spiffyminer.tripod.com/mkdir_com.htm

                      Additionally, said help reports "if extensions are installed"

                      My bash mkdirhier and the content of web page Hugo pointed out, each
                      could be considered an extension.

                      And, how these "extend" is that these are script/batch_file that extends
                      the capability of a built in command (via the use of for loop, etc. so
                      as to gain even greater functionality).

                      My guess is that the "extensions" mentioned on the mkdir help screen may
                      be batch files or similar script files by Microsoft.

                      Alan.