Re: [Clip] Re: ^!MkDir

  • loro
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
      I wrote:
      >Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands.

      F3 is good too, but I actually meant F7 (ack, my memory isn't too god
      either). Sweet as honey, F7.

      Yeah, now it's OT. Sorry.
      Lotta
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
        To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows. Simply scroll to the command you want to (re)execute, change it
        if necessary, and hit enter. I started with DOS before there was MS Dos. CPM. I still have my old DOS 5 bible, and one
        for XP also. J (But my 4-floppy Kaypro is long gone. (1983)). We used to have to write our own drivers for modems, etc.
        And we used BBS systems, which were all dial up.THANKS MICROSOFT, for standardizing things!

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows.

          Yes and with 4DOS too, but not DOS 7.0 and earlier.

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
            loro wrote:
            > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
            > command.com and cmd.exe here.

            Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
            memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
            fine.

            Axel
          • Al
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
              loro wrote:
              > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
              > command.com and cmd.exe here.

              Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
              instead uses things like /home

              sh

              bash

              (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)

              mkdir

              for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
              Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
              computer's resources)

              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
              new1/
              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
              /home/al/temp/tst
              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
              /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                Axel Berger wrote:
                >loro wrote:
                > > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                > > command.com and cmd.exe here.
                >
                >Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                >memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                >fine.

                Ah, I didn't understand that. Thank you.

                Lotta
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                  This is an interesting thread though getting close to off-topic now. :-)
                  (though all of the stuff we're talking about CAN be run from an NTB clip)

                  I'm running WinXP and have cygwin and UnxUtils installed. I can't find
                  any mkdirhier *BUT* when I check help for cygwin's mkdir I get:
                  > sh-3.2$ mkdir --help
                  > Usage: mkdir [OPTION] DIRECTORY...
                  > Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.
                  >
                  > Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
                  > -m, --mode=MODE set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask
                  > -p, --parents no error if existing, make parent directories as
                  > needed
                  > -v, --verbose print a message for each created directory
                  > -Z, --context=CTX set the SELinux security context of each created
                  > directory to CTX
                  > --help display this help and exit
                  > --version output version information and exit
                  so the --parents argument appears to be what Lotta originally wanted.
                  Note: that (afaict) executing mkdir at cmd prompt uses the (native) DOS
                  mkdir while entering 'bash' or 'sh' (ie. one of the unix shells) at
                  that command prompt ... then ... mkdir executes the cygwin or UnxUtils
                  mkdir.exe

                  so that gives us about 100 different ways to skin the cat :-)

                  Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                  Al wrote:
                  > loro wrote:
                  >
                  >> Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                  >> command.com and cmd.exe here.
                  >>

                  > Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                  > instead uses things like /home
                  >
                  > sh
                  >
                  > bash
                  >
                  > (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)
                  >
                  > mkdir
                  >
                  > for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                  > Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                  > computer's resources)
                  >
                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                  > new1/
                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                  > /home/al/temp/tst
                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                  > /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$

                • Hugo Paulissen
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                    Hi,

                    This looks as an elegant solution, and is not too much OT.

                    http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/productivity-tips/creating-multiple-sub-folders-using-mkdir-from-a-command-prompt.html

                    Hugo

                    ________________________________

                    --
                    Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@ skype)

                  • Al
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                      Alec Burgess wrote:

                      <snip has cygwin on Win XP>
                      > Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                      Yours didn't (go OT) 'cause I guess you can use Notetab to run your
                      Cygwin bash shell. BTW I used to run Cygwin (which has a rather
                      powerful bash shell, BTW). But see my "sys" a few paragraphs down, I no
                      longer have a need for Cygwin.

                      Mine post here speaks not of Notetab but of "program able" and mkdir as
                      relative to the bash shell.

                      So, as courtesy, I would go to Off Topic list if/with yet any further in
                      this "program able" vein that is or falls outside of the realm of
                      Notetab and DOS or the program able Notetab editor. Thank you.

                      al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
                      Slackware 12.2.0
                      al@P5Q:~$

                      Yep, mkdir -p (So I have at least 2 different ways to do it natively
                      already onboard my sys) (ha ha, I got Win beat <grin>) -- my sys is
                      Slackware 12.2 with the KDE desktop. On this sys is also the KVM virtual
                      machine in which, amongst others, I have a Win XP and a Win 7 (which, at
                      my whim) I may run and also I may use in said virtual machine. (I do
                      have Notetab on that Win which runs in KVM).

                      On my sys mkdir is a binary executable (the Linux equvalent of a Win
                      .exe file) (Linux does not use file extensions which is a Win thing)

                      al@P5Q:/bin$ lsag mkdir
                      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30968 2008-09-20 20:18 mkdir*
                      al@P5Q:/bin$ pwd
                      /bin
                      al@P5Q:/bin$

                      note: in next, the 1st ls returned nothing which means tst is an empty dir
                      until we run the mkdir -p command and then ls now reveals sub folder(s)

                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdir -p ./test1/test2/test3
                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                      test1/
                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd test1/test2/test3
                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$ pwd
                      /home/al/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3
                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$

                      on my sys, mkdirhier is a sh (shell script). Just as DOS is scriptable,
                      as Hugo pointed out, so is the Linux bash shell
                      (scriptable/programmable) very much so.

                      So, program able Notetab editor, program able DOS, program able bash shell.

                      al@P5Q:~$ which mkdirhier
                      /usr/bin/mkdirhier

                      al@P5Q:~$ cat /usr/bin/mkdirhier
                      #!/bin/sh
                      # $Xorg: mkdirhier.sh,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:41:53 cpqbld Exp $
                      # Courtesy of Paul Eggert

                      newline='

                      <snip various case scenarios (protections against idiot user or
                      keyboarding mistake)>
                      <y'all don't want a bunch of new lines as a folder name on your hard
                      drive, right?>

                      # next, can seen the for loop that does the actual duty
                      # It's much like the for loop that Hugo pointed out, DOS script style
                      # but this is a bash script, not a DOS batch file

                      for filename
                      do
                      path=$prefix$filename
                      prefix=$path/
                      shift

                      test -d "$path" || {
                      paths=$path
                      for filename
                      do
                      if [ -n "$filename" -a "$filename" != "." ]; then
                      path=$path/$filename
                      paths=$paths$newline$path
                      fi
                      done

                      mkdir $paths || status=$?

                      break
                      }
                      done
                      done

                      exit $status
                      # end

                      Alan.
                    • Al
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 5, 2010
                        FWIW

                        Win XP (mkdir /?) command console (cmd.exe I guess) "whether or not
                        extensions are installed" makes a difference.

                        next (500KB file size) is a screen shot of mkdir help (mkdir /?) from
                        Win XP command console

                        http://spiffyminer.tripod.com/mkdir_com.htm

                        Additionally, said help reports "if extensions are installed"

                        My bash mkdirhier and the content of web page Hugo pointed out, each
                        could be considered an extension.

                        And, how these "extend" is that these are script/batch_file that extends
                        the capability of a built in command (via the use of for loop, etc. so
                        as to gain even greater functionality).

                        My guess is that the "extensions" mentioned on the mkdir help screen may
                        be batch files or similar script files by Microsoft.

                        Alan.