Re: [Clip] Re: ^!MkDir

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
      diodeom wrote:
      > I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely in NT

      Beg to differ. Clips is a great and powerful macro language but things I
      have better tools for I do with those, especially as Clips makes calling
      external routines so easy.

      Axel
    • loro
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
        Axel wrote:
        > > If I want this to be compatible with Win9*,
        > > would I need to use a DOS short name?
        >
        >No, DOS 7.0, the one that comes with Win98 can deal with long names on
        >its own.

        Thanks.

        >But it is one directory at a time, both in plain command.com and in
        >4DOS. The latter is free now and highly recommended BTW.

        Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
        command.com and cmd.exe here.

        Lotta
      • loro
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
          diodeom wrote:
          >Sorry, Lotta; to add to your 2K/XP empirical evidence I can only
          >contribute this: it works on ^%expletive% Vista too.

          Good.

          >And I hope you didn't read my original preamble as facetious.

          Not at all. I found it most helpful and it solved my problem. I'm not
          complaing. :-)

          >I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely* in
          >NT, even just to see if it's doable. (If I could**, I would have
          >Clips process my laundry too! :)

          I don't mind using something outside NTP as long as it can be
          incorporated in a clip. I'm fiddling with something I may share with
          a friend who's even more retarded than me and tends to mess up big
          time if things don't work as expected, that's why I try to confirm it
          will work on her old 98 box. And yes, like you I like to know if
          things can be done with NTP.

          >*/ In case of ^!MkDir one could maybe argue (I think Alec hints on
          >that) that NT's own scripting merely serves as a middle-man to cmd anyway.

          Probably for these kind of things, yes.

          Since we are all DOS retards here, Axel excluded, I want to share
          something I learnt by spending 5 minutes glancing in my DOS book.
          There are keyboard shortcuts for the prompt. Found a page here:
          <http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/useful-keyboard-shortcuts-for-the-dos-command-prompt-in-windows/2629/>.
          Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands. My god,
          the trouble I've had to copy a command so I can repeat it without
          typing (I'm a lousy typist too). No one ever told me these things!
          Yeah, you probably knew already, but I bet I'm not the only one who
          didn't. They hide the good stuff...

          Lotta
        • loro
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
            I wrote:
            >Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands.

            F3 is good too, but I actually meant F7 (ack, my memory isn't too god
            either). Sweet as honey, F7.

            Yeah, now it's OT. Sorry.
            Lotta
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
              To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows. Simply scroll to the command you want to (re)execute, change it
              if necessary, and hit enter. I started with DOS before there was MS Dos. CPM. I still have my old DOS 5 bible, and one
              for XP also. J (But my 4-floppy Kaypro is long gone. (1983)). We used to have to write our own drivers for modems, etc.
              And we used BBS systems, which were all dial up.THANKS MICROSOFT, for standardizing things!

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                John Shotsky wrote:
                > To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows.

                Yes and with 4DOS too, but not DOS 7.0 and earlier.

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                  loro wrote:
                  > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                  > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                  Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                  memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                  fine.

                  Axel
                • Al
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                    loro wrote:
                    > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                    > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                    Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                    instead uses things like /home

                    sh

                    bash

                    (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)

                    mkdir

                    for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                    Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                    computer's resources)

                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                    new1/
                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                    /home/al/temp/tst
                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                    /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                      Axel Berger wrote:
                      >loro wrote:
                      > > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                      > > command.com and cmd.exe here.
                      >
                      >Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                      >memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                      >fine.

                      Ah, I didn't understand that. Thank you.

                      Lotta
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                        This is an interesting thread though getting close to off-topic now. :-)
                        (though all of the stuff we're talking about CAN be run from an NTB clip)

                        I'm running WinXP and have cygwin and UnxUtils installed. I can't find
                        any mkdirhier *BUT* when I check help for cygwin's mkdir I get:
                        > sh-3.2$ mkdir --help
                        > Usage: mkdir [OPTION] DIRECTORY...
                        > Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.
                        >
                        > Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
                        > -m, --mode=MODE set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask
                        > -p, --parents no error if existing, make parent directories as
                        > needed
                        > -v, --verbose print a message for each created directory
                        > -Z, --context=CTX set the SELinux security context of each created
                        > directory to CTX
                        > --help display this help and exit
                        > --version output version information and exit
                        so the --parents argument appears to be what Lotta originally wanted.
                        Note: that (afaict) executing mkdir at cmd prompt uses the (native) DOS
                        mkdir while entering 'bash' or 'sh' (ie. one of the unix shells) at
                        that command prompt ... then ... mkdir executes the cygwin or UnxUtils
                        mkdir.exe

                        so that gives us about 100 different ways to skin the cat :-)

                        Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                        Al wrote:
                        > loro wrote:
                        >
                        >> Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                        >> command.com and cmd.exe here.
                        >>

                        > Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                        > instead uses things like /home
                        >
                        > sh
                        >
                        > bash
                        >
                        > (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)
                        >
                        > mkdir
                        >
                        > for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                        > Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                        > computer's resources)
                        >
                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                        > new1/
                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                        > /home/al/temp/tst
                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                        > /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$

                      • Hugo Paulissen
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                          Hi,

                          This looks as an elegant solution, and is not too much OT.

                          http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/productivity-tips/creating-multiple-sub-folders-using-mkdir-from-a-command-prompt.html

                          Hugo

                          ________________________________

                          --
                          Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@ skype)

                        • Al
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                            Alec Burgess wrote:

                            <snip has cygwin on Win XP>
                            > Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                            Yours didn't (go OT) 'cause I guess you can use Notetab to run your
                            Cygwin bash shell. BTW I used to run Cygwin (which has a rather
                            powerful bash shell, BTW). But see my "sys" a few paragraphs down, I no
                            longer have a need for Cygwin.

                            Mine post here speaks not of Notetab but of "program able" and mkdir as
                            relative to the bash shell.

                            So, as courtesy, I would go to Off Topic list if/with yet any further in
                            this "program able" vein that is or falls outside of the realm of
                            Notetab and DOS or the program able Notetab editor. Thank you.

                            al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
                            Slackware 12.2.0
                            al@P5Q:~$

                            Yep, mkdir -p (So I have at least 2 different ways to do it natively
                            already onboard my sys) (ha ha, I got Win beat <grin>) -- my sys is
                            Slackware 12.2 with the KDE desktop. On this sys is also the KVM virtual
                            machine in which, amongst others, I have a Win XP and a Win 7 (which, at
                            my whim) I may run and also I may use in said virtual machine. (I do
                            have Notetab on that Win which runs in KVM).

                            On my sys mkdir is a binary executable (the Linux equvalent of a Win
                            .exe file) (Linux does not use file extensions which is a Win thing)

                            al@P5Q:/bin$ lsag mkdir
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30968 2008-09-20 20:18 mkdir*
                            al@P5Q:/bin$ pwd
                            /bin
                            al@P5Q:/bin$

                            note: in next, the 1st ls returned nothing which means tst is an empty dir
                            until we run the mkdir -p command and then ls now reveals sub folder(s)

                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdir -p ./test1/test2/test3
                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                            test1/
                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd test1/test2/test3
                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$ pwd
                            /home/al/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3
                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$

                            on my sys, mkdirhier is a sh (shell script). Just as DOS is scriptable,
                            as Hugo pointed out, so is the Linux bash shell
                            (scriptable/programmable) very much so.

                            So, program able Notetab editor, program able DOS, program able bash shell.

                            al@P5Q:~$ which mkdirhier
                            /usr/bin/mkdirhier

                            al@P5Q:~$ cat /usr/bin/mkdirhier
                            #!/bin/sh
                            # $Xorg: mkdirhier.sh,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:41:53 cpqbld Exp $
                            # Courtesy of Paul Eggert

                            newline='

                            <snip various case scenarios (protections against idiot user or
                            keyboarding mistake)>
                            <y'all don't want a bunch of new lines as a folder name on your hard
                            drive, right?>

                            # next, can seen the for loop that does the actual duty
                            # It's much like the for loop that Hugo pointed out, DOS script style
                            # but this is a bash script, not a DOS batch file

                            for filename
                            do
                            path=$prefix$filename
                            prefix=$path/
                            shift

                            test -d "$path" || {
                            paths=$path
                            for filename
                            do
                            if [ -n "$filename" -a "$filename" != "." ]; then
                            path=$path/$filename
                            paths=$paths$newline$path
                            fi
                            done

                            mkdir $paths || status=$?

                            break
                            }
                            done
                            done

                            exit $status
                            # end

                            Alan.
                          • Al
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 5, 2010
                              FWIW

                              Win XP (mkdir /?) command console (cmd.exe I guess) "whether or not
                              extensions are installed" makes a difference.

                              next (500KB file size) is a screen shot of mkdir help (mkdir /?) from
                              Win XP command console

                              http://spiffyminer.tripod.com/mkdir_com.htm

                              Additionally, said help reports "if extensions are installed"

                              My bash mkdirhier and the content of web page Hugo pointed out, each
                              could be considered an extension.

                              And, how these "extend" is that these are script/batch_file that extends
                              the capability of a built in command (via the use of for loop, etc. so
                              as to gain even greater functionality).

                              My guess is that the "extensions" mentioned on the mkdir help screen may
                              be batch files or similar script files by Microsoft.

                              Alan.