Re: [Clip] Re: ^!MkDir

  • loro
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
      Alec Burgess wrote:
      >Are you using WinXP?

      Yep.

      >(not sure how much of this applies to Vista/Seven)
      >In WinXP-Help I checked Command Line Reference A-Z.
      >It says that Mkdir (abbrev MD) works as you desire if "command
      >extensions" are enabled for cmd.exe (that is the default) but works as
      >you report ^!Mkdir behaves if disabled.

      Gosh.

      >I'd never realized such a feature existed!

      I knew about it all the time.
      Not!

      But I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. ComputerHope to the rescue.

      "Command Extensions are enabled by default. You may also disable
      extensions for a particular invocation by using the /E:OFF switch.
      You can enable or disable extensions for all invocations of CMD.EXE
      on a machine and/or user logon session by setting either or both of
      the following REG_DWORD values in the registry using REGEDT32.EXE:"
      http://www.computerhope.com/cmd.htm

      So, to permanently disable them you need to hack the registry from
      the sound of it. That means they are on for 99.999% of people. Good
      enough for me.

      BTW a couple of years ago I got a book from a friend who was going to
      throw it away. Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0 User Manual, thick as a bible.
      Maybe I should read it. It seems good, good explanations. It won't
      cover XP trickery though. ;-)

      >I don't know how much the Notetab implementation of ^!Mkdir clip command
      >is related to the DOS/cmd implementation of Mkdir but my take is that
      >the failure to support it (at least optionally) might be considered a "bug".

      I don't know if it's a bug, but it certainly was a surprise. Many of
      those disk commands have unexpected behavior, at least to me.

      Thanks!
      Lotta
    • diodeom
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:
        > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir
        >
        > Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
        > Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
        > still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
        > both are fine.
        >
        > I think the answers are No and Yes, but sure I am not!
        >
        > Lotta

        Sorry, Lotta; to add to your 2K/XP empirical evidence I can only contribute this: it works on ^%expletive% Vista too.
        (You know, for some of us some form of DOS retardation is almost a badge of honor. ;)

        And I hope you didn't read my original preamble as facetious. I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely* in NT, even just to see if it's doable. (If I could**, I would have Clips process my laundry too! :)

        Dio

        */ In case of ^!MkDir one could maybe argue (I think Alec hints on that) that NT's own scripting merely serves as a middle-man to cmd anyway.
        **/ Not that I'm complaining. I feel quite pampered by NT as is.
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
          loro wrote:
          > If I want this to be compatible with Win9*,
          > would I need to use a DOS short name?

          No, DOS 7.0, the one that comes with Win98 can deal with long names on
          its own.

          But it is one directory at a time, both in plain command.com and in
          4DOS. The latter is free now and highly recommended BTW.

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
            diodeom wrote:
            > I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely in NT

            Beg to differ. Clips is a great and powerful macro language but things I
            have better tools for I do with those, especially as Clips makes calling
            external routines so easy.

            Axel
          • loro
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
              Axel wrote:
              > > If I want this to be compatible with Win9*,
              > > would I need to use a DOS short name?
              >
              >No, DOS 7.0, the one that comes with Win98 can deal with long names on
              >its own.

              Thanks.

              >But it is one directory at a time, both in plain command.com and in
              >4DOS. The latter is free now and highly recommended BTW.

              Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
              command.com and cmd.exe here.

              Lotta
            • loro
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                diodeom wrote:
                >Sorry, Lotta; to add to your 2K/XP empirical evidence I can only
                >contribute this: it works on ^%expletive% Vista too.

                Good.

                >And I hope you didn't read my original preamble as facetious.

                Not at all. I found it most helpful and it solved my problem. I'm not
                complaing. :-)

                >I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely* in
                >NT, even just to see if it's doable. (If I could**, I would have
                >Clips process my laundry too! :)

                I don't mind using something outside NTP as long as it can be
                incorporated in a clip. I'm fiddling with something I may share with
                a friend who's even more retarded than me and tends to mess up big
                time if things don't work as expected, that's why I try to confirm it
                will work on her old 98 box. And yes, like you I like to know if
                things can be done with NTP.

                >*/ In case of ^!MkDir one could maybe argue (I think Alec hints on
                >that) that NT's own scripting merely serves as a middle-man to cmd anyway.

                Probably for these kind of things, yes.

                Since we are all DOS retards here, Axel excluded, I want to share
                something I learnt by spending 5 minutes glancing in my DOS book.
                There are keyboard shortcuts for the prompt. Found a page here:
                <http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/useful-keyboard-shortcuts-for-the-dos-command-prompt-in-windows/2629/>.
                Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands. My god,
                the trouble I've had to copy a command so I can repeat it without
                typing (I'm a lousy typist too). No one ever told me these things!
                Yeah, you probably knew already, but I bet I'm not the only one who
                didn't. They hide the good stuff...

                Lotta
              • loro
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                  I wrote:
                  >Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands.

                  F3 is good too, but I actually meant F7 (ack, my memory isn't too god
                  either). Sweet as honey, F7.

                  Yeah, now it's OT. Sorry.
                  Lotta
                • John Shotsky
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                    To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows. Simply scroll to the command you want to (re)execute, change it
                    if necessary, and hit enter. I started with DOS before there was MS Dos. CPM. I still have my old DOS 5 bible, and one
                    for XP also. J (But my 4-floppy Kaypro is long gone. (1983)). We used to have to write our own drivers for modems, etc.
                    And we used BBS systems, which were all dial up.THANKS MICROSOFT, for standardizing things!

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                      John Shotsky wrote:
                      > To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows.

                      Yes and with 4DOS too, but not DOS 7.0 and earlier.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                        loro wrote:
                        > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                        > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                        Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                        memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                        fine.

                        Axel
                      • Al
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                          loro wrote:
                          > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                          > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                          Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                          instead uses things like /home

                          sh

                          bash

                          (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)

                          mkdir

                          for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                          Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                          computer's resources)

                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                          new1/
                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                          /home/al/temp/tst
                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                          /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                            Axel Berger wrote:
                            >loro wrote:
                            > > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                            > > command.com and cmd.exe here.
                            >
                            >Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                            >memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                            >fine.

                            Ah, I didn't understand that. Thank you.

                            Lotta
                          • Alec Burgess
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                              This is an interesting thread though getting close to off-topic now. :-)
                              (though all of the stuff we're talking about CAN be run from an NTB clip)

                              I'm running WinXP and have cygwin and UnxUtils installed. I can't find
                              any mkdirhier *BUT* when I check help for cygwin's mkdir I get:
                              > sh-3.2$ mkdir --help
                              > Usage: mkdir [OPTION] DIRECTORY...
                              > Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.
                              >
                              > Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
                              > -m, --mode=MODE set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask
                              > -p, --parents no error if existing, make parent directories as
                              > needed
                              > -v, --verbose print a message for each created directory
                              > -Z, --context=CTX set the SELinux security context of each created
                              > directory to CTX
                              > --help display this help and exit
                              > --version output version information and exit
                              so the --parents argument appears to be what Lotta originally wanted.
                              Note: that (afaict) executing mkdir at cmd prompt uses the (native) DOS
                              mkdir while entering 'bash' or 'sh' (ie. one of the unix shells) at
                              that command prompt ... then ... mkdir executes the cygwin or UnxUtils
                              mkdir.exe

                              so that gives us about 100 different ways to skin the cat :-)

                              Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                              Al wrote:
                              > loro wrote:
                              >
                              >> Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                              >> command.com and cmd.exe here.
                              >>

                              > Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                              > instead uses things like /home
                              >
                              > sh
                              >
                              > bash
                              >
                              > (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)
                              >
                              > mkdir
                              >
                              > for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                              > Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                              > computer's resources)
                              >
                              > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                              > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                              > new1/
                              > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                              > /home/al/temp/tst
                              > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                              > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                              > /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                              > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$

                            • Hugo Paulissen
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                Hi,

                                This looks as an elegant solution, and is not too much OT.

                                http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/productivity-tips/creating-multiple-sub-folders-using-mkdir-from-a-command-prompt.html

                                Hugo

                                ________________________________

                                --
                                Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@ skype)

                              • Al
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                  Alec Burgess wrote:

                                  <snip has cygwin on Win XP>
                                  > Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                                  Yours didn't (go OT) 'cause I guess you can use Notetab to run your
                                  Cygwin bash shell. BTW I used to run Cygwin (which has a rather
                                  powerful bash shell, BTW). But see my "sys" a few paragraphs down, I no
                                  longer have a need for Cygwin.

                                  Mine post here speaks not of Notetab but of "program able" and mkdir as
                                  relative to the bash shell.

                                  So, as courtesy, I would go to Off Topic list if/with yet any further in
                                  this "program able" vein that is or falls outside of the realm of
                                  Notetab and DOS or the program able Notetab editor. Thank you.

                                  al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
                                  Slackware 12.2.0
                                  al@P5Q:~$

                                  Yep, mkdir -p (So I have at least 2 different ways to do it natively
                                  already onboard my sys) (ha ha, I got Win beat <grin>) -- my sys is
                                  Slackware 12.2 with the KDE desktop. On this sys is also the KVM virtual
                                  machine in which, amongst others, I have a Win XP and a Win 7 (which, at
                                  my whim) I may run and also I may use in said virtual machine. (I do
                                  have Notetab on that Win which runs in KVM).

                                  On my sys mkdir is a binary executable (the Linux equvalent of a Win
                                  .exe file) (Linux does not use file extensions which is a Win thing)

                                  al@P5Q:/bin$ lsag mkdir
                                  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30968 2008-09-20 20:18 mkdir*
                                  al@P5Q:/bin$ pwd
                                  /bin
                                  al@P5Q:/bin$

                                  note: in next, the 1st ls returned nothing which means tst is an empty dir
                                  until we run the mkdir -p command and then ls now reveals sub folder(s)

                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdir -p ./test1/test2/test3
                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                  test1/
                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd test1/test2/test3
                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$ pwd
                                  /home/al/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3
                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$

                                  on my sys, mkdirhier is a sh (shell script). Just as DOS is scriptable,
                                  as Hugo pointed out, so is the Linux bash shell
                                  (scriptable/programmable) very much so.

                                  So, program able Notetab editor, program able DOS, program able bash shell.

                                  al@P5Q:~$ which mkdirhier
                                  /usr/bin/mkdirhier

                                  al@P5Q:~$ cat /usr/bin/mkdirhier
                                  #!/bin/sh
                                  # $Xorg: mkdirhier.sh,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:41:53 cpqbld Exp $
                                  # Courtesy of Paul Eggert

                                  newline='

                                  <snip various case scenarios (protections against idiot user or
                                  keyboarding mistake)>
                                  <y'all don't want a bunch of new lines as a folder name on your hard
                                  drive, right?>

                                  # next, can seen the for loop that does the actual duty
                                  # It's much like the for loop that Hugo pointed out, DOS script style
                                  # but this is a bash script, not a DOS batch file

                                  for filename
                                  do
                                  path=$prefix$filename
                                  prefix=$path/
                                  shift

                                  test -d "$path" || {
                                  paths=$path
                                  for filename
                                  do
                                  if [ -n "$filename" -a "$filename" != "." ]; then
                                  path=$path/$filename
                                  paths=$paths$newline$path
                                  fi
                                  done

                                  mkdir $paths || status=$?

                                  break
                                  }
                                  done
                                  done

                                  exit $status
                                  # end

                                  Alan.
                                • Al
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 5, 2010
                                    FWIW

                                    Win XP (mkdir /?) command console (cmd.exe I guess) "whether or not
                                    extensions are installed" makes a difference.

                                    next (500KB file size) is a screen shot of mkdir help (mkdir /?) from
                                    Win XP command console

                                    http://spiffyminer.tripod.com/mkdir_com.htm

                                    Additionally, said help reports "if extensions are installed"

                                    My bash mkdirhier and the content of web page Hugo pointed out, each
                                    could be considered an extension.

                                    And, how these "extend" is that these are script/batch_file that extends
                                    the capability of a built in command (via the use of for loop, etc. so
                                    as to gain even greater functionality).

                                    My guess is that the "extensions" mentioned on the mkdir help screen may
                                    be batch files or similar script files by Microsoft.

                                    Alan.