Re: [Clip] Re: ^!MkDir

  • loro
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
      diodeom wrote:
      >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir

      Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
      Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
      still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
      both are fine.

      I think the answers are No and Yes, but sure I am not!

      Lotta
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
        loro (tabbie@...) wrote (in part) (on 2010-02-03 at 18:48):
        > you (Diodeom) wrote:
        > > > It seems ^!MkDir can create only one new directory (at the time)
        > That
        > > > is, it can't create a folder inside a folder that also needs to
        > be created.
        >
        > >Would "stepping out" of NT be a viable consideration for you? If so,
        > try:
        > >
        > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir
        >
        > You are smart! And I am not, I didn't think outside NT. Happens a
        > lot, that. Yes, I think this would work fine. Thank you.
        >
        > I'm still interested to know if I have overlooked something else
        > though.

        Hi Lotta:
        Are you using WinXP? (not sure how much of this applies to Vista/Seven)
        In WinXP-Help I checked Command Line Reference A-Z.
        It says that Mkdir (abbrev MD) works as you desire if "command
        extensions" are enabled for cmd.exe (that is the default) but works as
        you report ^!Mkdir behaves if disabled.

        I'd never realized such a feature existed!

        Searching for "command extensions" (with quotes) in Help gives this list
        of 15 commands: Setlocal, Chdir, If, Cmd, Call, Del (erase), Endlocal,
        Mkdir, Set, Goto, Pushd, Shift, Time, For, Popd which behave differently
        with/without command extensions enabled. After quick check it looks like
        the only command that is significantly altered is MKDIR. I guess the
        "disabled" behavior might be useful sometimes to prevent errors?

        I don't know how much the Notetab implementation of ^!Mkdir clip command
        is related to the DOS/cmd implementation of Mkdir but my take is that
        the failure to support it (at least optionally) might be considered a "bug".

        While I was writing this, you wrote:
        > diodeom wrote:
        > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\
        >
        > new_dir\new_dir
        >
        > Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
        > Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
        > still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
        > both are fine.

        Sorry, no answers for that :-(

      • loro
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
          Alec Burgess wrote:
          >Are you using WinXP?

          Yep.

          >(not sure how much of this applies to Vista/Seven)
          >In WinXP-Help I checked Command Line Reference A-Z.
          >It says that Mkdir (abbrev MD) works as you desire if "command
          >extensions" are enabled for cmd.exe (that is the default) but works as
          >you report ^!Mkdir behaves if disabled.

          Gosh.

          >I'd never realized such a feature existed!

          I knew about it all the time.
          Not!

          But I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. ComputerHope to the rescue.

          "Command Extensions are enabled by default. You may also disable
          extensions for a particular invocation by using the /E:OFF switch.
          You can enable or disable extensions for all invocations of CMD.EXE
          on a machine and/or user logon session by setting either or both of
          the following REG_DWORD values in the registry using REGEDT32.EXE:"
          http://www.computerhope.com/cmd.htm

          So, to permanently disable them you need to hack the registry from
          the sound of it. That means they are on for 99.999% of people. Good
          enough for me.

          BTW a couple of years ago I got a book from a friend who was going to
          throw it away. Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0 User Manual, thick as a bible.
          Maybe I should read it. It seems good, good explanations. It won't
          cover XP trickery though. ;-)

          >I don't know how much the Notetab implementation of ^!Mkdir clip command
          >is related to the DOS/cmd implementation of Mkdir but my take is that
          >the failure to support it (at least optionally) might be considered a "bug".

          I don't know if it's a bug, but it certainly was a surprise. Many of
          those disk commands have unexpected behavior, at least to me.

          Thanks!
          Lotta
        • diodeom
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:
            > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir
            >
            > Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
            > Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
            > still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
            > both are fine.
            >
            > I think the answers are No and Yes, but sure I am not!
            >
            > Lotta

            Sorry, Lotta; to add to your 2K/XP empirical evidence I can only contribute this: it works on ^%expletive% Vista too.
            (You know, for some of us some form of DOS retardation is almost a badge of honor. ;)

            And I hope you didn't read my original preamble as facetious. I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely* in NT, even just to see if it's doable. (If I could**, I would have Clips process my laundry too! :)

            Dio

            */ In case of ^!MkDir one could maybe argue (I think Alec hints on that) that NT's own scripting merely serves as a middle-man to cmd anyway.
            **/ Not that I'm complaining. I feel quite pampered by NT as is.
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
              loro wrote:
              > If I want this to be compatible with Win9*,
              > would I need to use a DOS short name?

              No, DOS 7.0, the one that comes with Win98 can deal with long names on
              its own.

              But it is one directory at a time, both in plain command.com and in
              4DOS. The latter is free now and highly recommended BTW.

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                diodeom wrote:
                > I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely in NT

                Beg to differ. Clips is a great and powerful macro language but things I
                have better tools for I do with those, especially as Clips makes calling
                external routines so easy.

                Axel
              • loro
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                  Axel wrote:
                  > > If I want this to be compatible with Win9*,
                  > > would I need to use a DOS short name?
                  >
                  >No, DOS 7.0, the one that comes with Win98 can deal with long names on
                  >its own.

                  Thanks.

                  >But it is one directory at a time, both in plain command.com and in
                  >4DOS. The latter is free now and highly recommended BTW.

                  Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                  command.com and cmd.exe here.

                  Lotta
                • loro
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                    diodeom wrote:
                    >Sorry, Lotta; to add to your 2K/XP empirical evidence I can only
                    >contribute this: it works on ^%expletive% Vista too.

                    Good.

                    >And I hope you didn't read my original preamble as facetious.

                    Not at all. I found it most helpful and it solved my problem. I'm not
                    complaing. :-)

                    >I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely* in
                    >NT, even just to see if it's doable. (If I could**, I would have
                    >Clips process my laundry too! :)

                    I don't mind using something outside NTP as long as it can be
                    incorporated in a clip. I'm fiddling with something I may share with
                    a friend who's even more retarded than me and tends to mess up big
                    time if things don't work as expected, that's why I try to confirm it
                    will work on her old 98 box. And yes, like you I like to know if
                    things can be done with NTP.

                    >*/ In case of ^!MkDir one could maybe argue (I think Alec hints on
                    >that) that NT's own scripting merely serves as a middle-man to cmd anyway.

                    Probably for these kind of things, yes.

                    Since we are all DOS retards here, Axel excluded, I want to share
                    something I learnt by spending 5 minutes glancing in my DOS book.
                    There are keyboard shortcuts for the prompt. Found a page here:
                    <http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/useful-keyboard-shortcuts-for-the-dos-command-prompt-in-windows/2629/>.
                    Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands. My god,
                    the trouble I've had to copy a command so I can repeat it without
                    typing (I'm a lousy typist too). No one ever told me these things!
                    Yeah, you probably knew already, but I bet I'm not the only one who
                    didn't. They hide the good stuff...

                    Lotta
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                      I wrote:
                      >Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands.

                      F3 is good too, but I actually meant F7 (ack, my memory isn't too god
                      either). Sweet as honey, F7.

                      Yeah, now it's OT. Sorry.
                      Lotta
                    • John Shotsky
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                        To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows. Simply scroll to the command you want to (re)execute, change it
                        if necessary, and hit enter. I started with DOS before there was MS Dos. CPM. I still have my old DOS 5 bible, and one
                        for XP also. J (But my 4-floppy Kaypro is long gone. (1983)). We used to have to write our own drivers for modems, etc.
                        And we used BBS systems, which were all dial up.THANKS MICROSOFT, for standardizing things!

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                          John Shotsky wrote:
                          > To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows.

                          Yes and with 4DOS too, but not DOS 7.0 and earlier.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                            loro wrote:
                            > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                            > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                            Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                            memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                            fine.

                            Axel
                          • Al
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                              loro wrote:
                              > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                              > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                              Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                              instead uses things like /home

                              sh

                              bash

                              (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)

                              mkdir

                              for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                              Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                              computer's resources)

                              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                              new1/
                              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                              /home/al/temp/tst
                              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                              al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                              /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                Axel Berger wrote:
                                >loro wrote:
                                > > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                > > command.com and cmd.exe here.
                                >
                                >Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                                >memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                                >fine.

                                Ah, I didn't understand that. Thank you.

                                Lotta
                              • Alec Burgess
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                  This is an interesting thread though getting close to off-topic now. :-)
                                  (though all of the stuff we're talking about CAN be run from an NTB clip)

                                  I'm running WinXP and have cygwin and UnxUtils installed. I can't find
                                  any mkdirhier *BUT* when I check help for cygwin's mkdir I get:
                                  > sh-3.2$ mkdir --help
                                  > Usage: mkdir [OPTION] DIRECTORY...
                                  > Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.
                                  >
                                  > Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
                                  > -m, --mode=MODE set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask
                                  > -p, --parents no error if existing, make parent directories as
                                  > needed
                                  > -v, --verbose print a message for each created directory
                                  > -Z, --context=CTX set the SELinux security context of each created
                                  > directory to CTX
                                  > --help display this help and exit
                                  > --version output version information and exit
                                  so the --parents argument appears to be what Lotta originally wanted.
                                  Note: that (afaict) executing mkdir at cmd prompt uses the (native) DOS
                                  mkdir while entering 'bash' or 'sh' (ie. one of the unix shells) at
                                  that command prompt ... then ... mkdir executes the cygwin or UnxUtils
                                  mkdir.exe

                                  so that gives us about 100 different ways to skin the cat :-)

                                  Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                                  Al wrote:
                                  > loro wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                  >> command.com and cmd.exe here.
                                  >>

                                  > Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                                  > instead uses things like /home
                                  >
                                  > sh
                                  >
                                  > bash
                                  >
                                  > (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)
                                  >
                                  > mkdir
                                  >
                                  > for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                                  > Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                                  > computer's resources)
                                  >
                                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                  > new1/
                                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                                  > /home/al/temp/tst
                                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                                  > /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                                  > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$

                                • Hugo Paulissen
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                    Hi,

                                    This looks as an elegant solution, and is not too much OT.

                                    http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/productivity-tips/creating-multiple-sub-folders-using-mkdir-from-a-command-prompt.html

                                    Hugo

                                    ________________________________

                                    --
                                    Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@ skype)

                                  • Al
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                      Alec Burgess wrote:

                                      <snip has cygwin on Win XP>
                                      > Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                                      Yours didn't (go OT) 'cause I guess you can use Notetab to run your
                                      Cygwin bash shell. BTW I used to run Cygwin (which has a rather
                                      powerful bash shell, BTW). But see my "sys" a few paragraphs down, I no
                                      longer have a need for Cygwin.

                                      Mine post here speaks not of Notetab but of "program able" and mkdir as
                                      relative to the bash shell.

                                      So, as courtesy, I would go to Off Topic list if/with yet any further in
                                      this "program able" vein that is or falls outside of the realm of
                                      Notetab and DOS or the program able Notetab editor. Thank you.

                                      al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
                                      Slackware 12.2.0
                                      al@P5Q:~$

                                      Yep, mkdir -p (So I have at least 2 different ways to do it natively
                                      already onboard my sys) (ha ha, I got Win beat <grin>) -- my sys is
                                      Slackware 12.2 with the KDE desktop. On this sys is also the KVM virtual
                                      machine in which, amongst others, I have a Win XP and a Win 7 (which, at
                                      my whim) I may run and also I may use in said virtual machine. (I do
                                      have Notetab on that Win which runs in KVM).

                                      On my sys mkdir is a binary executable (the Linux equvalent of a Win
                                      .exe file) (Linux does not use file extensions which is a Win thing)

                                      al@P5Q:/bin$ lsag mkdir
                                      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30968 2008-09-20 20:18 mkdir*
                                      al@P5Q:/bin$ pwd
                                      /bin
                                      al@P5Q:/bin$

                                      note: in next, the 1st ls returned nothing which means tst is an empty dir
                                      until we run the mkdir -p command and then ls now reveals sub folder(s)

                                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdir -p ./test1/test2/test3
                                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                      test1/
                                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd test1/test2/test3
                                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$ pwd
                                      /home/al/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3
                                      al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$

                                      on my sys, mkdirhier is a sh (shell script). Just as DOS is scriptable,
                                      as Hugo pointed out, so is the Linux bash shell
                                      (scriptable/programmable) very much so.

                                      So, program able Notetab editor, program able DOS, program able bash shell.

                                      al@P5Q:~$ which mkdirhier
                                      /usr/bin/mkdirhier

                                      al@P5Q:~$ cat /usr/bin/mkdirhier
                                      #!/bin/sh
                                      # $Xorg: mkdirhier.sh,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:41:53 cpqbld Exp $
                                      # Courtesy of Paul Eggert

                                      newline='

                                      <snip various case scenarios (protections against idiot user or
                                      keyboarding mistake)>
                                      <y'all don't want a bunch of new lines as a folder name on your hard
                                      drive, right?>

                                      # next, can seen the for loop that does the actual duty
                                      # It's much like the for loop that Hugo pointed out, DOS script style
                                      # but this is a bash script, not a DOS batch file

                                      for filename
                                      do
                                      path=$prefix$filename
                                      prefix=$path/
                                      shift

                                      test -d "$path" || {
                                      paths=$path
                                      for filename
                                      do
                                      if [ -n "$filename" -a "$filename" != "." ]; then
                                      path=$path/$filename
                                      paths=$paths$newline$path
                                      fi
                                      done

                                      mkdir $paths || status=$?

                                      break
                                      }
                                      done
                                      done

                                      exit $status
                                      # end

                                      Alan.
                                    • Al
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 5, 2010
                                        FWIW

                                        Win XP (mkdir /?) command console (cmd.exe I guess) "whether or not
                                        extensions are installed" makes a difference.

                                        next (500KB file size) is a screen shot of mkdir help (mkdir /?) from
                                        Win XP command console

                                        http://spiffyminer.tripod.com/mkdir_com.htm

                                        Additionally, said help reports "if extensions are installed"

                                        My bash mkdirhier and the content of web page Hugo pointed out, each
                                        could be considered an extension.

                                        And, how these "extend" is that these are script/batch_file that extends
                                        the capability of a built in command (via the use of for loop, etc. so
                                        as to gain even greater functionality).

                                        My guess is that the "extensions" mentioned on the mkdir help screen may
                                        be batch files or similar script files by Microsoft.

                                        Alan.