Skip to search.

Re: ^!MkDir

  • diodeom
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > It seems ^!MkDir can create only one new directory (at the time) That
      > is, it can't create a folder inside a folder that also needs to be created.
      >
      > ^!MkDir C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir\
      >
      > Have I overlooked a way to do this without jumping through hoops,
      > check for each directory and create them one by one?
      >
      > TIA
      > Lotta

      Would "stepping out" of NT be a viable consideration for you? If so, try:

      ^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir
    • loro
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
        you wrote:
        > > It seems ^!MkDir can create only one new directory (at the time) That
        > > is, it can't create a folder inside a folder that also needs to be created.

        >Would "stepping out" of NT be a viable consideration for you? If so, try:
        >
        >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir

        You are smart! And I am not, I didn't think outside NT. Happens a
        lot, that. Yes, I think this would work fine. Thank you.

        I'm still interested to know if I have overlooked something else though.

        Lotta
      • loro
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
          diodeom wrote:
          >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir

          Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
          Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
          still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
          both are fine.

          I think the answers are No and Yes, but sure I am not!

          Lotta
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
            loro (tabbie@...) wrote (in part) (on 2010-02-03 at 18:48):
            > you (Diodeom) wrote:
            > > > It seems ^!MkDir can create only one new directory (at the time)
            > That
            > > > is, it can't create a folder inside a folder that also needs to
            > be created.
            >
            > >Would "stepping out" of NT be a viable consideration for you? If so,
            > try:
            > >
            > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir
            >
            > You are smart! And I am not, I didn't think outside NT. Happens a
            > lot, that. Yes, I think this would work fine. Thank you.
            >
            > I'm still interested to know if I have overlooked something else
            > though.

            Hi Lotta:
            Are you using WinXP? (not sure how much of this applies to Vista/Seven)
            In WinXP-Help I checked Command Line Reference A-Z.
            It says that Mkdir (abbrev MD) works as you desire if "command
            extensions" are enabled for cmd.exe (that is the default) but works as
            you report ^!Mkdir behaves if disabled.

            I'd never realized such a feature existed!

            Searching for "command extensions" (with quotes) in Help gives this list
            of 15 commands: Setlocal, Chdir, If, Cmd, Call, Del (erase), Endlocal,
            Mkdir, Set, Goto, Pushd, Shift, Time, For, Popd which behave differently
            with/without command extensions enabled. After quick check it looks like
            the only command that is significantly altered is MKDIR. I guess the
            "disabled" behavior might be useful sometimes to prevent errors?

            I don't know how much the Notetab implementation of ^!Mkdir clip command
            is related to the DOS/cmd implementation of Mkdir but my take is that
            the failure to support it (at least optionally) might be considered a "bug".

            While I was writing this, you wrote:
            > diodeom wrote:
            > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\
            >
            > new_dir\new_dir
            >
            > Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
            > Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
            > still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
            > both are fine.

            Sorry, no answers for that :-(

          • loro
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
              Alec Burgess wrote:
              >Are you using WinXP?

              Yep.

              >(not sure how much of this applies to Vista/Seven)
              >In WinXP-Help I checked Command Line Reference A-Z.
              >It says that Mkdir (abbrev MD) works as you desire if "command
              >extensions" are enabled for cmd.exe (that is the default) but works as
              >you report ^!Mkdir behaves if disabled.

              Gosh.

              >I'd never realized such a feature existed!

              I knew about it all the time.
              Not!

              But I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. ComputerHope to the rescue.

              "Command Extensions are enabled by default. You may also disable
              extensions for a particular invocation by using the /E:OFF switch.
              You can enable or disable extensions for all invocations of CMD.EXE
              on a machine and/or user logon session by setting either or both of
              the following REG_DWORD values in the registry using REGEDT32.EXE:"
              http://www.computerhope.com/cmd.htm

              So, to permanently disable them you need to hack the registry from
              the sound of it. That means they are on for 99.999% of people. Good
              enough for me.

              BTW a couple of years ago I got a book from a friend who was going to
              throw it away. Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0 User Manual, thick as a bible.
              Maybe I should read it. It seems good, good explanations. It won't
              cover XP trickery though. ;-)

              >I don't know how much the Notetab implementation of ^!Mkdir clip command
              >is related to the DOS/cmd implementation of Mkdir but my take is that
              >the failure to support it (at least optionally) might be considered a "bug".

              I don't know if it's a bug, but it certainly was a surprise. Many of
              those disk commands have unexpected behavior, at least to me.

              Thanks!
              Lotta
            • diodeom
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:
                > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir
                >
                > Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
                > Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
                > still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
                > both are fine.
                >
                > I think the answers are No and Yes, but sure I am not!
                >
                > Lotta

                Sorry, Lotta; to add to your 2K/XP empirical evidence I can only contribute this: it works on ^%expletive% Vista too.
                (You know, for some of us some form of DOS retardation is almost a badge of honor. ;)

                And I hope you didn't read my original preamble as facetious. I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely* in NT, even just to see if it's doable. (If I could**, I would have Clips process my laundry too! :)

                Dio

                */ In case of ^!MkDir one could maybe argue (I think Alec hints on that) that NT's own scripting merely serves as a middle-man to cmd anyway.
                **/ Not that I'm complaining. I feel quite pampered by NT as is.
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                  loro wrote:
                  > If I want this to be compatible with Win9*,
                  > would I need to use a DOS short name?

                  No, DOS 7.0, the one that comes with Win98 can deal with long names on
                  its own.

                  But it is one directory at a time, both in plain command.com and in
                  4DOS. The latter is free now and highly recommended BTW.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                    diodeom wrote:
                    > I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely in NT

                    Beg to differ. Clips is a great and powerful macro language but things I
                    have better tools for I do with those, especially as Clips makes calling
                    external routines so easy.

                    Axel
                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                      Axel wrote:
                      > > If I want this to be compatible with Win9*,
                      > > would I need to use a DOS short name?
                      >
                      >No, DOS 7.0, the one that comes with Win98 can deal with long names on
                      >its own.

                      Thanks.

                      >But it is one directory at a time, both in plain command.com and in
                      >4DOS. The latter is free now and highly recommended BTW.

                      Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                      command.com and cmd.exe here.

                      Lotta
                    • loro
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                        diodeom wrote:
                        >Sorry, Lotta; to add to your 2K/XP empirical evidence I can only
                        >contribute this: it works on ^%expletive% Vista too.

                        Good.

                        >And I hope you didn't read my original preamble as facetious.

                        Not at all. I found it most helpful and it solved my problem. I'm not
                        complaing. :-)

                        >I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely* in
                        >NT, even just to see if it's doable. (If I could**, I would have
                        >Clips process my laundry too! :)

                        I don't mind using something outside NTP as long as it can be
                        incorporated in a clip. I'm fiddling with something I may share with
                        a friend who's even more retarded than me and tends to mess up big
                        time if things don't work as expected, that's why I try to confirm it
                        will work on her old 98 box. And yes, like you I like to know if
                        things can be done with NTP.

                        >*/ In case of ^!MkDir one could maybe argue (I think Alec hints on
                        >that) that NT's own scripting merely serves as a middle-man to cmd anyway.

                        Probably for these kind of things, yes.

                        Since we are all DOS retards here, Axel excluded, I want to share
                        something I learnt by spending 5 minutes glancing in my DOS book.
                        There are keyboard shortcuts for the prompt. Found a page here:
                        <http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/useful-keyboard-shortcuts-for-the-dos-command-prompt-in-windows/2629/>.
                        Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands. My god,
                        the trouble I've had to copy a command so I can repeat it without
                        typing (I'm a lousy typist too). No one ever told me these things!
                        Yeah, you probably knew already, but I bet I'm not the only one who
                        didn't. They hide the good stuff...

                        Lotta
                      • loro
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                          I wrote:
                          >Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands.

                          F3 is good too, but I actually meant F7 (ack, my memory isn't too god
                          either). Sweet as honey, F7.

                          Yeah, now it's OT. Sorry.
                          Lotta
                        • John Shotsky
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                            To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows. Simply scroll to the command you want to (re)execute, change it
                            if necessary, and hit enter. I started with DOS before there was MS Dos. CPM. I still have my old DOS 5 bible, and one
                            for XP also. J (But my 4-floppy Kaypro is long gone. (1983)). We used to have to write our own drivers for modems, etc.
                            And we used BBS systems, which were all dial up.THANKS MICROSOFT, for standardizing things!

                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                              John Shotsky wrote:
                              > To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows.

                              Yes and with 4DOS too, but not DOS 7.0 and earlier.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                                loro wrote:
                                > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                                Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                                memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                                fine.

                                Axel
                              • Al
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                                  loro wrote:
                                  > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                  > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                                  Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                                  instead uses things like /home

                                  sh

                                  bash

                                  (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)

                                  mkdir

                                  for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                                  Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                                  computer's resources)

                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                  new1/
                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                                  /home/al/temp/tst
                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                                  al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                                  /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                    Axel Berger wrote:
                                    >loro wrote:
                                    > > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                    > > command.com and cmd.exe here.
                                    >
                                    >Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                                    >memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                                    >fine.

                                    Ah, I didn't understand that. Thank you.

                                    Lotta
                                  • Alec Burgess
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                      This is an interesting thread though getting close to off-topic now. :-)
                                      (though all of the stuff we're talking about CAN be run from an NTB clip)

                                      I'm running WinXP and have cygwin and UnxUtils installed. I can't find
                                      any mkdirhier *BUT* when I check help for cygwin's mkdir I get:
                                      > sh-3.2$ mkdir --help
                                      > Usage: mkdir [OPTION] DIRECTORY...
                                      > Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.
                                      >
                                      > Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
                                      > -m, --mode=MODE set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask
                                      > -p, --parents no error if existing, make parent directories as
                                      > needed
                                      > -v, --verbose print a message for each created directory
                                      > -Z, --context=CTX set the SELinux security context of each created
                                      > directory to CTX
                                      > --help display this help and exit
                                      > --version output version information and exit
                                      so the --parents argument appears to be what Lotta originally wanted.
                                      Note: that (afaict) executing mkdir at cmd prompt uses the (native) DOS
                                      mkdir while entering 'bash' or 'sh' (ie. one of the unix shells) at
                                      that command prompt ... then ... mkdir executes the cygwin or UnxUtils
                                      mkdir.exe

                                      so that gives us about 100 different ways to skin the cat :-)

                                      Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                                      Al wrote:
                                      > loro wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                      >> command.com and cmd.exe here.
                                      >>

                                      > Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                                      > instead uses things like /home
                                      >
                                      > sh
                                      >
                                      > bash
                                      >
                                      > (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)
                                      >
                                      > mkdir
                                      >
                                      > for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                                      > Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                                      > computer's resources)
                                      >
                                      > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                                      > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                      > new1/
                                      > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                                      > /home/al/temp/tst
                                      > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                                      > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                                      > /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                                      > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$

                                    • Hugo Paulissen
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                        Hi,

                                        This looks as an elegant solution, and is not too much OT.

                                        http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/productivity-tips/creating-multiple-sub-folders-using-mkdir-from-a-command-prompt.html

                                        Hugo

                                        ________________________________

                                        --
                                        Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@ skype)

                                      • Al
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                          Alec Burgess wrote:

                                          <snip has cygwin on Win XP>
                                          > Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                                          Yours didn't (go OT) 'cause I guess you can use Notetab to run your
                                          Cygwin bash shell. BTW I used to run Cygwin (which has a rather
                                          powerful bash shell, BTW). But see my "sys" a few paragraphs down, I no
                                          longer have a need for Cygwin.

                                          Mine post here speaks not of Notetab but of "program able" and mkdir as
                                          relative to the bash shell.

                                          So, as courtesy, I would go to Off Topic list if/with yet any further in
                                          this "program able" vein that is or falls outside of the realm of
                                          Notetab and DOS or the program able Notetab editor. Thank you.

                                          al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
                                          Slackware 12.2.0
                                          al@P5Q:~$

                                          Yep, mkdir -p (So I have at least 2 different ways to do it natively
                                          already onboard my sys) (ha ha, I got Win beat <grin>) -- my sys is
                                          Slackware 12.2 with the KDE desktop. On this sys is also the KVM virtual
                                          machine in which, amongst others, I have a Win XP and a Win 7 (which, at
                                          my whim) I may run and also I may use in said virtual machine. (I do
                                          have Notetab on that Win which runs in KVM).

                                          On my sys mkdir is a binary executable (the Linux equvalent of a Win
                                          .exe file) (Linux does not use file extensions which is a Win thing)

                                          al@P5Q:/bin$ lsag mkdir
                                          -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30968 2008-09-20 20:18 mkdir*
                                          al@P5Q:/bin$ pwd
                                          /bin
                                          al@P5Q:/bin$

                                          note: in next, the 1st ls returned nothing which means tst is an empty dir
                                          until we run the mkdir -p command and then ls now reveals sub folder(s)

                                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdir -p ./test1/test2/test3
                                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                          test1/
                                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd test1/test2/test3
                                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$ pwd
                                          /home/al/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3
                                          al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$

                                          on my sys, mkdirhier is a sh (shell script). Just as DOS is scriptable,
                                          as Hugo pointed out, so is the Linux bash shell
                                          (scriptable/programmable) very much so.

                                          So, program able Notetab editor, program able DOS, program able bash shell.

                                          al@P5Q:~$ which mkdirhier
                                          /usr/bin/mkdirhier

                                          al@P5Q:~$ cat /usr/bin/mkdirhier
                                          #!/bin/sh
                                          # $Xorg: mkdirhier.sh,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:41:53 cpqbld Exp $
                                          # Courtesy of Paul Eggert

                                          newline='

                                          <snip various case scenarios (protections against idiot user or
                                          keyboarding mistake)>
                                          <y'all don't want a bunch of new lines as a folder name on your hard
                                          drive, right?>

                                          # next, can seen the for loop that does the actual duty
                                          # It's much like the for loop that Hugo pointed out, DOS script style
                                          # but this is a bash script, not a DOS batch file

                                          for filename
                                          do
                                          path=$prefix$filename
                                          prefix=$path/
                                          shift

                                          test -d "$path" || {
                                          paths=$path
                                          for filename
                                          do
                                          if [ -n "$filename" -a "$filename" != "." ]; then
                                          path=$path/$filename
                                          paths=$paths$newline$path
                                          fi
                                          done

                                          mkdir $paths || status=$?

                                          break
                                          }
                                          done
                                          done

                                          exit $status
                                          # end

                                          Alan.
                                        • Al
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 5, 2010
                                            FWIW

                                            Win XP (mkdir /?) command console (cmd.exe I guess) "whether or not
                                            extensions are installed" makes a difference.

                                            next (500KB file size) is a screen shot of mkdir help (mkdir /?) from
                                            Win XP command console

                                            http://spiffyminer.tripod.com/mkdir_com.htm

                                            Additionally, said help reports "if extensions are installed"

                                            My bash mkdirhier and the content of web page Hugo pointed out, each
                                            could be considered an extension.

                                            And, how these "extend" is that these are script/batch_file that extends
                                            the capability of a built in command (via the use of for loop, etc. so
                                            as to gain even greater functionality).

                                            My guess is that the "extensions" mentioned on the mkdir help screen may
                                            be batch files or similar script files by Microsoft.

                                            Alan.