^!MkDir

  • loro
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hi,

      It seems ^!MkDir can create only one new directory (at the time) That
      is, it can't create a folder inside a folder that also needs to be created.

      ^!MkDir C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir\

      Have I overlooked a way to do this without jumping through hoops,
      check for each directory and create them one by one?

      TIA
      Lotta
    • diodeom
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > It seems ^!MkDir can create only one new directory (at the time) That
        > is, it can't create a folder inside a folder that also needs to be created.
        >
        > ^!MkDir C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir\
        >
        > Have I overlooked a way to do this without jumping through hoops,
        > check for each directory and create them one by one?
        >
        > TIA
        > Lotta

        Would "stepping out" of NT be a viable consideration for you? If so, try:

        ^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir
      • loro
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
          you wrote:
          > > It seems ^!MkDir can create only one new directory (at the time) That
          > > is, it can't create a folder inside a folder that also needs to be created.

          >Would "stepping out" of NT be a viable consideration for you? If so, try:
          >
          >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir

          You are smart! And I am not, I didn't think outside NT. Happens a
          lot, that. Yes, I think this would work fine. Thank you.

          I'm still interested to know if I have overlooked something else though.

          Lotta
        • loro
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
            diodeom wrote:
            >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir

            Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
            Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
            still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
            both are fine.

            I think the answers are No and Yes, but sure I am not!

            Lotta
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
              loro (tabbie@...) wrote (in part) (on 2010-02-03 at 18:48):
              > you (Diodeom) wrote:
              > > > It seems ^!MkDir can create only one new directory (at the time)
              > That
              > > > is, it can't create a folder inside a folder that also needs to
              > be created.
              >
              > >Would "stepping out" of NT be a viable consideration for you? If so,
              > try:
              > >
              > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir
              >
              > You are smart! And I am not, I didn't think outside NT. Happens a
              > lot, that. Yes, I think this would work fine. Thank you.
              >
              > I'm still interested to know if I have overlooked something else
              > though.

              Hi Lotta:
              Are you using WinXP? (not sure how much of this applies to Vista/Seven)
              In WinXP-Help I checked Command Line Reference A-Z.
              It says that Mkdir (abbrev MD) works as you desire if "command
              extensions" are enabled for cmd.exe (that is the default) but works as
              you report ^!Mkdir behaves if disabled.

              I'd never realized such a feature existed!

              Searching for "command extensions" (with quotes) in Help gives this list
              of 15 commands: Setlocal, Chdir, If, Cmd, Call, Del (erase), Endlocal,
              Mkdir, Set, Goto, Pushd, Shift, Time, For, Popd which behave differently
              with/without command extensions enabled. After quick check it looks like
              the only command that is significantly altered is MKDIR. I guess the
              "disabled" behavior might be useful sometimes to prevent errors?

              I don't know how much the Notetab implementation of ^!Mkdir clip command
              is related to the DOS/cmd implementation of Mkdir but my take is that
              the failure to support it (at least optionally) might be considered a "bug".

              While I was writing this, you wrote:
              > diodeom wrote:
              > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\
              >
              > new_dir\new_dir
              >
              > Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
              > Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
              > still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
              > both are fine.

              Sorry, no answers for that :-(

            • loro
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                Alec Burgess wrote:
                >Are you using WinXP?

                Yep.

                >(not sure how much of this applies to Vista/Seven)
                >In WinXP-Help I checked Command Line Reference A-Z.
                >It says that Mkdir (abbrev MD) works as you desire if "command
                >extensions" are enabled for cmd.exe (that is the default) but works as
                >you report ^!Mkdir behaves if disabled.

                Gosh.

                >I'd never realized such a feature existed!

                I knew about it all the time.
                Not!

                But I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. ComputerHope to the rescue.

                "Command Extensions are enabled by default. You may also disable
                extensions for a particular invocation by using the /E:OFF switch.
                You can enable or disable extensions for all invocations of CMD.EXE
                on a machine and/or user logon session by setting either or both of
                the following REG_DWORD values in the registry using REGEDT32.EXE:"
                http://www.computerhope.com/cmd.htm

                So, to permanently disable them you need to hack the registry from
                the sound of it. That means they are on for 99.999% of people. Good
                enough for me.

                BTW a couple of years ago I got a book from a friend who was going to
                throw it away. Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0 User Manual, thick as a bible.
                Maybe I should read it. It seems good, good explanations. It won't
                cover XP trickery though. ;-)

                >I don't know how much the Notetab implementation of ^!Mkdir clip command
                >is related to the DOS/cmd implementation of Mkdir but my take is that
                >the failure to support it (at least optionally) might be considered a "bug".

                I don't know if it's a bug, but it certainly was a surprise. Many of
                those disk commands have unexpected behavior, at least to me.

                Thanks!
                Lotta
              • diodeom
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:
                  > >^!Dos MD C:\exists\exists\new_dir\new_dir
                  >
                  > Excuse me, but I'm a DOS retard. If I want this to be compatible with
                  > Win9*, would I need to use a DOS short name? And if I do, does that
                  > still work with Vista and Win7? I only have access to XP and 2K where
                  > both are fine.
                  >
                  > I think the answers are No and Yes, but sure I am not!
                  >
                  > Lotta

                  Sorry, Lotta; to add to your 2K/XP empirical evidence I can only contribute this: it works on ^%expletive% Vista too.
                  (You know, for some of us some form of DOS retardation is almost a badge of honor. ;)

                  And I hope you didn't read my original preamble as facetious. I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely* in NT, even just to see if it's doable. (If I could**, I would have Clips process my laundry too! :)

                  Dio

                  */ In case of ^!MkDir one could maybe argue (I think Alec hints on that) that NT's own scripting merely serves as a middle-man to cmd anyway.
                  **/ Not that I'm complaining. I feel quite pampered by NT as is.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                    loro wrote:
                    > If I want this to be compatible with Win9*,
                    > would I need to use a DOS short name?

                    No, DOS 7.0, the one that comes with Win98 can deal with long names on
                    its own.

                    But it is one directory at a time, both in plain command.com and in
                    4DOS. The latter is free now and highly recommended BTW.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                      diodeom wrote:
                      > I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely in NT

                      Beg to differ. Clips is a great and powerful macro language but things I
                      have better tools for I do with those, especially as Clips makes calling
                      external routines so easy.

                      Axel
                    • loro
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                        Axel wrote:
                        > > If I want this to be compatible with Win9*,
                        > > would I need to use a DOS short name?
                        >
                        >No, DOS 7.0, the one that comes with Win98 can deal with long names on
                        >its own.

                        Thanks.

                        >But it is one directory at a time, both in plain command.com and in
                        >4DOS. The latter is free now and highly recommended BTW.

                        Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                        command.com and cmd.exe here.

                        Lotta
                      • loro
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                          diodeom wrote:
                          >Sorry, Lotta; to add to your 2K/XP empirical evidence I can only
                          >contribute this: it works on ^%expletive% Vista too.

                          Good.

                          >And I hope you didn't read my original preamble as facetious.

                          Not at all. I found it most helpful and it solved my problem. I'm not
                          complaing. :-)

                          >I wholeheartedly empathize with the desire to do things purely* in
                          >NT, even just to see if it's doable. (If I could**, I would have
                          >Clips process my laundry too! :)

                          I don't mind using something outside NTP as long as it can be
                          incorporated in a clip. I'm fiddling with something I may share with
                          a friend who's even more retarded than me and tends to mess up big
                          time if things don't work as expected, that's why I try to confirm it
                          will work on her old 98 box. And yes, like you I like to know if
                          things can be done with NTP.

                          >*/ In case of ^!MkDir one could maybe argue (I think Alec hints on
                          >that) that NT's own scripting merely serves as a middle-man to cmd anyway.

                          Probably for these kind of things, yes.

                          Since we are all DOS retards here, Axel excluded, I want to share
                          something I learnt by spending 5 minutes glancing in my DOS book.
                          There are keyboard shortcuts for the prompt. Found a page here:
                          <http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/useful-keyboard-shortcuts-for-the-dos-command-prompt-in-windows/2629/>.
                          Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands. My god,
                          the trouble I've had to copy a command so I can repeat it without
                          typing (I'm a lousy typist too). No one ever told me these things!
                          Yeah, you probably knew already, but I bet I'm not the only one who
                          didn't. They hide the good stuff...

                          Lotta
                        • loro
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                            I wrote:
                            >Try for instance F3 out after you have run a few commands.

                            F3 is good too, but I actually meant F7 (ack, my memory isn't too god
                            either). Sweet as honey, F7.

                            Yeah, now it's OT. Sorry.
                            Lotta
                          • John Shotsky
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                              To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows. Simply scroll to the command you want to (re)execute, change it
                              if necessary, and hit enter. I started with DOS before there was MS Dos. CPM. I still have my old DOS 5 bible, and one
                              for XP also. J (But my 4-floppy Kaypro is long gone. (1983)). We used to have to write our own drivers for modems, etc.
                              And we used BBS systems, which were all dial up.THANKS MICROSOFT, for standardizing things!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                                John Shotsky wrote:
                                > To repeat commands in a DOS box, use up and down arrows.

                                Yes and with 4DOS too, but not DOS 7.0 and earlier.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                                  loro wrote:
                                  > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                  > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                                  Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                                  memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                                  fine.

                                  Axel
                                • Al
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 3, 2010
                                    loro wrote:
                                    > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                    > command.com and cmd.exe here.

                                    Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                                    instead uses things like /home

                                    sh

                                    bash

                                    (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)

                                    mkdir

                                    for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                                    Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                                    computer's resources)

                                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                    new1/
                                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                                    /home/al/temp/tst
                                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                                    al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                                    /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                      Axel Berger wrote:
                                      >loro wrote:
                                      > > Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                      > > command.com and cmd.exe here.
                                      >
                                      >Yes, that's why I tried it out in Win98 for you (relying on an old man's
                                      >memory like mine is a mug's game). Didn't work. One after the other went
                                      >fine.

                                      Ah, I didn't understand that. Thank you.

                                      Lotta
                                    • Alec Burgess
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                        This is an interesting thread though getting close to off-topic now. :-)
                                        (though all of the stuff we're talking about CAN be run from an NTB clip)

                                        I'm running WinXP and have cygwin and UnxUtils installed. I can't find
                                        any mkdirhier *BUT* when I check help for cygwin's mkdir I get:
                                        > sh-3.2$ mkdir --help
                                        > Usage: mkdir [OPTION] DIRECTORY...
                                        > Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.
                                        >
                                        > Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
                                        > -m, --mode=MODE set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask
                                        > -p, --parents no error if existing, make parent directories as
                                        > needed
                                        > -v, --verbose print a message for each created directory
                                        > -Z, --context=CTX set the SELinux security context of each created
                                        > directory to CTX
                                        > --help display this help and exit
                                        > --version output version information and exit
                                        so the --parents argument appears to be what Lotta originally wanted.
                                        Note: that (afaict) executing mkdir at cmd prompt uses the (native) DOS
                                        mkdir while entering 'bash' or 'sh' (ie. one of the unix shells) at
                                        that command prompt ... then ... mkdir executes the cygwin or UnxUtils
                                        mkdir.exe

                                        so that gives us about 100 different ways to skin the cat :-)

                                        Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                                        Al wrote:
                                        > loro wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Actually, creating a chain of new directories works both with
                                        >> command.com and cmd.exe here.
                                        >>

                                        > Y'all got me curious. this here O.S. that don't use drive letters but
                                        > instead uses things like /home
                                        >
                                        > sh
                                        >
                                        > bash
                                        >
                                        > (shells. there's no command.com or cmd.exe)
                                        >
                                        > mkdir
                                        >
                                        > for make one at a time. But also has mkdirhier (make_dir_hierarchy).
                                        > Makes unlimited levels deep (except eventually limited by ram and
                                        > computer's resources)
                                        >
                                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdirhier ./new1/new2/new3
                                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                        > new1/
                                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ pwd
                                        > /home/al/temp/tst
                                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd ./new1/new2/new3
                                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$ pwd
                                        > /home/al/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3
                                        > al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/new1/new2/new3$

                                      • Hugo Paulissen
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                          Hi,

                                          This looks as an elegant solution, and is not too much OT.

                                          http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/productivity-tips/creating-multiple-sub-folders-using-mkdir-from-a-command-prompt.html

                                          Hugo

                                          ________________________________

                                          --
                                          Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@ skype)

                                        • Al
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 4, 2010
                                            Alec Burgess wrote:

                                            <snip has cygwin on Win XP>
                                            > Al - if you do mkdir --help do you have the -p option?

                                            Yours didn't (go OT) 'cause I guess you can use Notetab to run your
                                            Cygwin bash shell. BTW I used to run Cygwin (which has a rather
                                            powerful bash shell, BTW). But see my "sys" a few paragraphs down, I no
                                            longer have a need for Cygwin.

                                            Mine post here speaks not of Notetab but of "program able" and mkdir as
                                            relative to the bash shell.

                                            So, as courtesy, I would go to Off Topic list if/with yet any further in
                                            this "program able" vein that is or falls outside of the realm of
                                            Notetab and DOS or the program able Notetab editor. Thank you.

                                            al@P5Q:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
                                            Slackware 12.2.0
                                            al@P5Q:~$

                                            Yep, mkdir -p (So I have at least 2 different ways to do it natively
                                            already onboard my sys) (ha ha, I got Win beat <grin>) -- my sys is
                                            Slackware 12.2 with the KDE desktop. On this sys is also the KVM virtual
                                            machine in which, amongst others, I have a Win XP and a Win 7 (which, at
                                            my whim) I may run and also I may use in said virtual machine. (I do
                                            have Notetab on that Win which runs in KVM).

                                            On my sys mkdir is a binary executable (the Linux equvalent of a Win
                                            .exe file) (Linux does not use file extensions which is a Win thing)

                                            al@P5Q:/bin$ lsag mkdir
                                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30968 2008-09-20 20:18 mkdir*
                                            al@P5Q:/bin$ pwd
                                            /bin
                                            al@P5Q:/bin$

                                            note: in next, the 1st ls returned nothing which means tst is an empty dir
                                            until we run the mkdir -p command and then ls now reveals sub folder(s)

                                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ mkdir -p ./test1/test2/test3
                                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ ls
                                            test1/
                                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst$ cd test1/test2/test3
                                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$ pwd
                                            /home/al/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3
                                            al@P5Q:~/temp/tst/test1/test2/test3$

                                            on my sys, mkdirhier is a sh (shell script). Just as DOS is scriptable,
                                            as Hugo pointed out, so is the Linux bash shell
                                            (scriptable/programmable) very much so.

                                            So, program able Notetab editor, program able DOS, program able bash shell.

                                            al@P5Q:~$ which mkdirhier
                                            /usr/bin/mkdirhier

                                            al@P5Q:~$ cat /usr/bin/mkdirhier
                                            #!/bin/sh
                                            # $Xorg: mkdirhier.sh,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:41:53 cpqbld Exp $
                                            # Courtesy of Paul Eggert

                                            newline='

                                            <snip various case scenarios (protections against idiot user or
                                            keyboarding mistake)>
                                            <y'all don't want a bunch of new lines as a folder name on your hard
                                            drive, right?>

                                            # next, can seen the for loop that does the actual duty
                                            # It's much like the for loop that Hugo pointed out, DOS script style
                                            # but this is a bash script, not a DOS batch file

                                            for filename
                                            do
                                            path=$prefix$filename
                                            prefix=$path/
                                            shift

                                            test -d "$path" || {
                                            paths=$path
                                            for filename
                                            do
                                            if [ -n "$filename" -a "$filename" != "." ]; then
                                            path=$path/$filename
                                            paths=$paths$newline$path
                                            fi
                                            done

                                            mkdir $paths || status=$?

                                            break
                                            }
                                            done
                                            done

                                            exit $status
                                            # end

                                            Alan.
                                          • Al
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 5, 2010
                                              FWIW

                                              Win XP (mkdir /?) command console (cmd.exe I guess) "whether or not
                                              extensions are installed" makes a difference.

                                              next (500KB file size) is a screen shot of mkdir help (mkdir /?) from
                                              Win XP command console

                                              http://spiffyminer.tripod.com/mkdir_com.htm

                                              Additionally, said help reports "if extensions are installed"

                                              My bash mkdirhier and the content of web page Hugo pointed out, each
                                              could be considered an extension.

                                              And, how these "extend" is that these are script/batch_file that extends
                                              the capability of a built in command (via the use of for loop, etc. so
                                              as to gain even greater functionality).

                                              My guess is that the "extensions" mentioned on the mkdir help screen may
                                              be batch files or similar script files by Microsoft.

                                              Alan.