Re: [Clip] Replace commands in clips incorporating Chinese characters

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
      This is NOT an answer but perhaps a direction.
      Maybe you can use Perl to do the replacements?
      First requires installing Perl if you don't have it already.
      Then have a look at the clips in Samples: "Perl script" and "Perl NumLines"

      If you can use that pair of scripts to number the lines in one of your
      files containing chinese characters and have it "come back" with out
      changing every Chinese character string to ????'s you s/b be able to do
      the replacements.

      If that fails (and it may well, I haven't done much with Unicode
      myself) you might want to wade through enough of the Perl manuals to do
      the whole thing in a free-standing Perl script.

      I've used sed (one of the unix programs you can get with UnixUtils or
      Cygwin to run in windows) to do simple regex replacements. I quickly
      googled [sed Unicode] and from scanning the extracts it *appears* that
      sed can handle Unicode which I believe would make it feasible.

      Probably Sheri (or one of the other Notetab-Perl guru's on this list)
      can come up with a more definitive answer or even an answer to doing the
      whole think in Notetab clips directly.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
        "simon.drimer" wrote:
        > I am unable to write a clip which will hold Chinese characters.

        I don't quite see, why you need to do that. You open the file, do all
        your ^!Replaces and when you save afterwords, you said yourself, it
        won't matter, if a tiny unreplaced rest gets corrupted.

        There may be one problem though: I've had the case more than once, that
        copying an otherwise unlegible string and pasting it into a Menu find
        and Replace string will work but doing the same thing in a clip won't.
        In those cases I've resorted to using \xnn instead. It's a tiresome
        nuisance to get that working right, but you only need to do it once.

        Axel
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
          Can you open it with Google, translate it, then save it? Google is excellent with Chinese.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
            John Shotsky (jshotsky@...) wrote (in part) (on 2010-01-18 at
            08:16):
            > Can you open it with Google, translate it, then save it? Google is
            > excellent with Chinese.

            I like that idea John! Not sure if Google translate will handle files
            that big - he's talking about 60 x 30 MB regularly. I *think* the
            easiest way would be to get the files up on the web somewhere (maybe to
            Google Documents?) so URL's can be passed to Google translate then all
            you need to do is use wgets to ask Google to do the translate.

            Then all the regexps required of Notetab would be to fix up any English
            where what Google gives isn't quite what Simon wants.

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
              On 1/17/2010 10:57 PM, simon.drimer wrote:
              > Hi - so I have this problem ... I regularly need to process about 60 large (~30mb each) txt files that contain a mix of simplified Chinese characters and English numerals. 99% of the Chinese characters are words and phrases that appear repeatedly in the txt files (basically thousands of database records, with field names like "Registration number", "Start date" etc - although all in Chinese) and the remaining 1% I can live without. I need to get out of Chinese language and into English, so it seems the most efficient process would be to write a clip with a couple of hundred individual Replace commands to convert the Chinese field names into English. Now the problem is, while I can open the txt files with the Chinese characters intact, using one of the Unicode settings when opening the document, I am unable to write a clip which will hold Chinese characters. Any Chinese characters I write or paste into a clip just get converted to "????".
              > Anyone - is there a way to write clips which keep the integrity of unicode character sets like Chinese language ? Or is there some other way I can convert Chinese characters into English in a repeatable way ?

              Yes, I think it can be done in a NoteTab clip, using UTF-8 and regex.

              If you'd care to upload a small sample to show what you have vs what you
              need, I'd be happy to take a look.

            • simon.drimer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
                Hey ... thanks everyone. Yes Google Translate would be perfect, but the files are too big for it and it tends to fall over 5% of the way into the document and thten fails to translate the Chinese text into English. I'll have a look at finding some other way to use the Goodle Translation engine maybe with uploads to the web but could be a lot of trouble (also looking at the other machine translators like Systran). I would love to get NT working !
                Sheri - thanks - here's a sample partial record (and each file contains let's say 10,000 of these)
                姓名 刘丽梅
                性别 女
                资格证书号码 00200812210000008520
                资格证书状态 有效
                有效期截止日期 2011-12-10
                And Google Translate will turn that into:
                Name Li-Mei Liu
                Gender Female
                Certificate Number 00200812210000008520
                Certificate Status Effective
                Valid cut-off date 2011-12-10
                So what I am trying to do is write a clip that replaces "姓名" with "Name", "资格证书号码" with "Certificate Number" and so on - let's say there will be 50 different replacements...

                > On 1/17/2010 10:57 PM, simon.drimer wrote:
                > > Hi - so I have this problem ... I regularly need to process about 60 large (~30mb each) txt files that contain a mix of simplified Chinese characters and English numerals. 99% of the Chinese characters are words and phrases that appear repeatedly in the txt files (basically thousands of database records, with field names like "Registration number", "Start date" etc - although all in Chinese) and the remaining 1% I can live without. I need to get out of Chinese language and into English, so it seems the most efficient process would be to write a clip with a couple of hundred individual Replace commands to convert the Chinese field names into English. Now the problem is, while I can open the txt files with the Chinese characters intact, using one of the Unicode settings when opening the document, I am unable to write a clip which will hold Chinese characters. Any Chinese characters I write or paste into a clip just get converted to "????".
                > > Anyone - is there a way to write clips which keep the integrity of unicode character sets like Chinese language ? Or is there some other way I can convert Chinese characters into English in a repeatable way ?
                > >

                > Yes, I think it can be done in a NoteTab clip, using UTF-8 and regex.
                >
                > If you'd care to upload a small sample to show what you have vs what you
                > need, I'd be happy to take a look.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Sheri

              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
                  Well try something like the following:
                  ;clip by don AT htmlfixit DOT com
                  ;Chinese (ish) to English translation example
                  ^!Replace "姓名" >> "Name" ATIWS
                  ^!Replace "资格证书号码" >>
                  "Certificate Number" ATIWS
                  ; copy below as needed ^!Replace "" >> "" ATIWS
                  ;line 7 -- watch for wrapped lines in email
                  ;line 8 -- all lines start with ^! or semi-colon or colon

                  It could also be done with an array and a loop if you wish.

                  simon.drimer wrote:
                  > Hey ... thanks everyone. Yes Google Translate would be perfect, but the files are too big for it and it tends to fall over 5% of the way into the document and thten fails to translate the Chinese text into English. I'll have a look at finding some other way to use the Goodle Translation engine maybe with uploads to the web but could be a lot of trouble (also looking at the other machine translators like Systran). I would love to get NT working !
                  > Sheri - thanks - here's a sample partial record (and each file contains let's say 10,000 of these)
                  > 姓名 刘丽梅
                  > 性别 女
                  > 资格证书号码 00200812210000008520
                  > 资格证书状态 有效
                  > 有效期截止日期 2011-12-10
                  > And Google Translate will turn that into:
                  > Name Li-Mei Liu
                  > Gender Female
                  > Certificate Number 00200812210000008520
                  > Certificate Status Effective
                  > Valid cut-off date 2011-12-10
                  > So what I am trying to do is write a clip that replaces "姓名" with "Name", "资格证书号码" with "Certificate Number" and so on - let's say there will be 50 different replacements...
                  >
                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
                  >> On 1/17/2010 10:57 PM, simon.drimer wrote:
                  >>> Hi - so I have this problem ... I regularly need to process about 60 large (~30mb each) txt files that contain a mix of simplified Chinese characters and English numerals. 99% of the Chinese characters are words and phrases that appear repeatedly in the txt files (basically thousands of database records, with field names like "Registration number", "Start date" etc - although all in Chinese) and the remaining 1% I can live without. I need to get out of Chinese language and into English, so it seems the most efficient process would be to write a clip with a couple of hundred individual Replace commands to convert the Chinese field names into English. Now the problem is, while I can open the txt files with the Chinese characters intact, using one of the Unicode settings when opening the document, I am unable to write a clip which will hold Chinese characters. Any Chinese characters I write or paste into a clip just get converted to "????".
                  >>> Anyone - is there a way to write clips which keep the integrity of unicode character sets like Chinese language ? Or is there some other way I can convert Chinese characters into English in a repeatable way ?
                  >>>
                  >> Yes, I think it can be done in a NoteTab clip, using UTF-8 and regex.
                  >>
                  >> If you'd care to upload a small sample to show what you have vs what you
                  >> need, I'd be happy to take a look.
                  >>
                  >> Regards,
                  >> Sheri

                • John Shotsky
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
                    That is actually pretty straightforward. Create a clipbook, with one entry for each different field you need to manage,
                    and use a clip like this for each one:

                    ^!Replace "&\#22995;&\#21517;" >> "Name" ARSTW

                    ^!Replace "&\#36164;&\#26684;&\#35777;&\#20070;&\#21495;&\#30721;" >> "Certificate Number" ARSTW

                    Note the added backslashes for the pound signs - NoteTab is not reliable without them. Open a document, run the clipbook
                    (CH2ENG) for example, and just sit back and let it go.

                    Start with a small file with all the headings you need to capture and let Google give you the translation. Write the
                    clips, and you'll be good to go.

                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com> , Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                    > On 1/17/2010 10:57 PM, simon.drimer wrote:
                    > > Hi - so I have this problem ... I regularly need to process about 60 large (~30mb each) txt files that contain a mix
                    of simplified Chinese characters and English numerals. 99% of the Chinese characters are words and phrases that appear
                    repeatedly in the txt files (basically thousands of database records, with field names like "Registration number",
                    "Start date" etc - although all in Chinese) and the remaining 1% I can live without. I need to get out of Chinese
                    language and into English, so it seems the most efficient process would be to write a clip with a couple of hundred
                    individual Replace commands to convert the Chinese field names into English. Now the problem is, while I can open the
                    txt files with the Chinese characters intact, using one of the Unicode settings when opening the document, I am unable
                    to write a clip which will hold Chinese characters. Any Chinese characters I write or paste into a clip just get
                    converted to "????".
                    > > Anyone - is there a way to write clips which keep the integrity of unicode character sets like Chinese language ? Or
                    is there some other way I can convert Chinese characters into English in a repeatable way ?

                    > Yes, I think it can be done in a NoteTab clip, using UTF-8 and regex.
                    >
                    > If you'd care to upload a small sample to show what you have vs what you
                    > need, I'd be happy to take a look.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Sheri

                  • simon.drimer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 18, 2010
                      Many thanks all. I see now that simply converting the Chinese characters to that different (readable) format is the way forward ...

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 19, 2010
                        "simon.drimer" wrote:
                        > here's a sample partial record
                        > 姓名 刘丽梅
                        > 性别 女

                        Ah, that's different, why didn't you say so? These are not Chinese
                        characters as such, be it UTF or any other encoding, but rather HTML
                        entities. From NoteTab's point of view all that is pure 7-bit US-ASCII.
                        Nothing simpler than finding and replacing that. (Simple in concept that
                        is, still a lot of work, but, as I said before, it needs only be done
                        once.)