Can NoteTab read spreadsheet files?

  • Brother Gabriel-Marie
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2009
      Hello all!
      I need to gather information from an excel spreadsheet to create
      variables for a text file. I know I can do this by exporting the excel
      file to a csv file or to text, but I want to ask whether NoteTab itself
      can read the .xls file. If it could, that would save me a lot of coding.

      Thanks
      - Brother Gabriel-Marie
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2009
        Brother Gabriel-Marie (brgabriel@...) wrote (in part) (on
        2009-12-18 at 11:13):
        > I need to gather information from an excel spreadsheet to create
        > variables for a text file. I know I can do this by exporting the excel
        > file to a csv file or to text, but I want to ask whether NoteTab
        > itself
        > can read the .xls file. If it could, that would save me a lot of
        > coding.

        No, NTB can't read an XLS file directly. Assuming you are trying to
        write some clip code to process text in the XLS files following approach
        might work:

        Open the XLS file from a clip, issue it Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C
        (select-all, then copy), then paste contents of the clipboard to a
        buffer in Notetab. I've never done this but have accomplished similar
        tasks from Notetab clips.

        Is my recollection correct that you are a PowerPro user? If so, you
        might be able to accomplish this with PowerPro scripts etc run from
        Notetab clips. You weren't clear whether you need the whole XLS file or
        just selected "regions" from it. In either case above approach might work.

        Note: googling [xls2csv] shows some hits (ie. command-line programs that
        will convert XLS to CSV format) so you could perhaps convert to csv
        format and read it in then process all under clip control.

      • Brother Gabriel-Marie
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2009
          Thanks for the tips. I did figure on exporting the text out of the
          excel file; I am using tabs as a delimeter. I found that it is more
          accurate if you manually copy the entire spreadsheet and paste it to a
          text file than using excel's export to tab-delimited text. I don't know
          why, but excel's output removes some tabs.

          Anyways, I found a few clips for grabbing out columns. With that and a
          few powerpro scripts, I think I will manage. Is there a clip out there
          to "add a column"? Say I have one column of values and I want to add
          another column next to it, delimited. I found a clip to extract the
          column, but not to add it. I also found a clip to extract a field from
          the whole sheet - I don't remember what library they came from, however.

          -BGM
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2009
            Jody had clips for doing this sort of thing. I don't remember an add,
            but it would be easy enough to do ... a regex solution might even be
            possible I suspect.