Re: [Clip] Create File From A File

  • bozlawless
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
      Hey sorry its hard for me to convey thru cyberspace what i want sometimes also in life but here goes

      1. Create a file from O#### to M30

      2. The file name needs to be same as line just before M30 (FILENAME)

      3. I don't have any input other than open the master file

      4. Yes all files will look like this other than the O#### (INFO ) at the start and the name just before the M30

      I pray that is helpful and makes sense

      Thank you to everyone who is helping me on this
      Mike

      > Thanks Axel,
      >
      > This is a very good explanation of what is getresubstrings. Help or
      > more particularly help on "help on clip programming" is your friend. I
      > use the search function regularly in that help "file".
      >
      > Here is the problem -- and it's a common one with questions such as this:
      >
      > 1. the answer is absolutely yes it can be done
      > 2. the solution is completely dependent on the following:
      > a. what does the input look like ... you gave use three examples
      > that appear to be the same at the start and finish ... I say is that
      > common and you say no ... well if I take (took) the time to craft a
      > solution and in fact the data is not representative, then we have
      > achieved nothing. I need to know what is the same for every single
      > file; and
      > b. what should the output look like - I'm assuming you want
      > everything from % to M30 to be in a new file named after the "filename"
      > you choose, but you didn't say. If all you want to do is capture the
      > filename (Was that your only question?) well then just take the last
      > part of that find and you have it.
      >
      > So yes we can help, but you didn't really give us enough to answer well.
      >
      > I hope that is helpful and all makes sense.
      >
      > Don
      >
      > Axel Berger wrote:
      > > bozlawless wrote:
      > >> but what is a getresubstrings
      > >
      > > Hmm, let's see:
      > > Clip Help --> search --> "getresubstrings" --> one topic
      > >
      > > If you do a Regex find with more than one group in round brackets () you
      > > can then define an Array as:
      > >
      > > ^!SetArray %Array%=^$GetReSubStrings$
      > >
      > > After that ^%Array0% will contain the number of elements (brackets) and
      > > ^%Array1% and and up will contain what has been found inside those
      > > marked groups.
      > >
      > > Axel

    • bozlawless
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
        Hey sorry its hard for me to convey thru cyberspace what i want sometimes also in life but here goes

        1. Create a file from O#### to M30

        2. The file name needs to be same as line just before M30 (FILENAME)

        3. I don't have any input other than open the master file

        4. Yes all files will look like this other than the O#### (INFO ) at the start and the name just before the M30

        I pray that is helpful and makes sense

        Thank you to everyone who is helping me on this
        Mike

        > Thanks Axel,
        >
        > This is a very good explanation of what is getresubstrings. Help or
        > more particularly help on "help on clip programming" is your friend. I
        > use the search function regularly in that help "file".
        >
        > Here is the problem -- and it's a common one with questions such as this:
        >
        > 1. the answer is absolutely yes it can be done
        > 2. the solution is completely dependent on the following:
        > a. what does the input look like ... you gave use three examples
        > that appear to be the same at the start and finish ... I say is that
        > common and you say no ... well if I take (took) the time to craft a
        > solution and in fact the data is not representative, then we have
        > achieved nothing. I need to know what is the same for every single
        > file; and
        > b. what should the output look like - I'm assuming you want
        > everything from % to M30 to be in a new file named after the "filename"
        > you choose, but you didn't say. If all you want to do is capture the
        > filename (Was that your only question?) well then just take the last
        > part of that find and you have it.
        >
        > So yes we can help, but you didn't really give us enough to answer well.
        >
        > I hope that is helpful and all makes sense.
        >
        > Don
        >
        > Axel Berger wrote:
        > > bozlawless wrote:
        > >> but what is a getresubstrings
        > >
        > > Hmm, let's see:
        > > Clip Help --> search --> "getresubstrings" --> one topic
        > >
        > > If you do a Regex find with more than one group in round brackets () you
        > > can then define an Array as:
        > >
        > > ^!SetArray %Array%=^$GetReSubStrings$
        > >
        > > After that ^%Array0% will contain the number of elements (brackets) and
        > > ^%Array1% and and up will contain what has been found inside those
        > > marked groups.
        > >
        > > Axel

      • bozlawless
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
          Thanks AXEL

          > bozlawless wrote:
          > > but what is a getresubstrings
          >
          > Hmm, let's see:
          > Clip Help --> search --> "getresubstrings" --> one topic
          >
          > If you do a Regex find with more than one group in round brackets () you
          > can then define an Array as:
          >
          > ^!SetArray %Array%=^$GetReSubStrings$
          >
          > After that ^%Array0% will contain the number of elements (brackets) and
          > ^%Array1% and and up will contain what has been found inside those
          > marked groups.
          >
          > Axel

        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
            I that an alphabetic Ohh and not a numberic zero?
            There are always four numbers after it?
            That always starts every single "file" data set and M30 ends every
            single file data set?

            Ohhh#### never appears at the start of any line except for the first
            line of a data set?

            bozlawless wrote:
            > Hey sorry its hard for me to convey thru cyberspace what i want sometimes also in life but here goes
            >
            > 1. Create a file from O#### to M30
            >
            > 2. The file name needs to be same as line just before M30 (FILENAME)
            >
            > 3. I don't have any input other than open the master file
            >
            > 4. Yes all files will look like this other than the O#### (INFO ) at the start and the name just before the M30
            >
            > I pray that is helpful and makes sense
            >
            > Thank you to everyone who is helping me on this
            > Mike
          • flo.gehrke
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "bozlawless" <bozlawless@...> wrote:

              > Hey sorry its hard for me to convey thru cyberspace what i want sometimes also in life but here goes
              >
              > 1. Create a file from O#### to M30
              >
              > 2. The file name needs to be same as line just before M30 (FILENAME)
              >
              > 3. I don't have any input other than open the master file
              >
              > 4. Yes all files will look like this other than the O#### (INFO ) at the start and the name just before the M30
              >
              > I pray that is helpful and makes sense
              >
              > Thank you to everyone who is helping me on this
              > Mike

              Mike,

              Open your "Master File" and start the following clip. It will split the text you've sent to the group into three parts. Each part is saved in a separate file. So you will get three files named SF 49A.txt, RPM 31C.txt, and SSR 105A.txt.

              ;^!SetScreenUpdate Off
              ^!Jump 1
              :Loop
              ^!Find "^O\d{4}\C+?M30$" RS
              ^!IfError End
              ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
              ^!Jump Select_End
              ^!Jump -1
              ^!Find "^\(\x20\K.+(?=\x20\))" RS
              ^!Set %Name%="^$GetSelection$.txt"
              ^!TextToFile "^$GetDocumentPath$^%Name%" ^$GetClipboard$
              ^!Goto Loop

              I hope this will meet your intentions.

              Regards,
              Flo
            • bozlawless
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
                yes alphabetic Ohh starts every time and yes four numbers after it and it always ends with M30

                > I that an alphabetic Ohh and not a numberic zero?
                > There are always four numbers after it?
                > That always starts every single "file" data set and M30 ends every
                > single file data set?
                >
                > Ohhh#### never appears at the start of any line except for the first
                > line of a data set?
                >
                > bozlawless wrote:
                > > Hey sorry its hard for me to convey thru cyberspace what i want sometimes also in life but here goes
                > >
                > > 1. Create a file from O#### to M30
                > >
                > > 2. The file name needs to be same as line just before M30 (FILENAME)
                > >
                > > 3. I don't have any input other than open the master file
                > >
                > > 4. Yes all files will look like this other than the O#### (INFO ) at the start and the name just before the M30
                > >
                > > I pray that is helpful and makes sense
                > >
                > > Thank you to everyone who is helping me on this
                > > Mike

              • bozlawless
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
                  no not always a % at the start but always a O#### that is the leter O followed by four numbers

                  the "filename" is always before M30 second line from last line

                  > Of course .... if we understand what we are doing and the data pattern.
                  >
                  > Is there always a return followed by a % to start each file?
                  > Is the "filename" always the second from last line, followed by a bunch
                  > of blank lines?
                  >
                  > Is there always an M30 on the last line of each file?

                • bozlawless
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
                    i ran it not sure were it saved them to when it was running it gave me a I/O ERROR

                    > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "bozlawless" <bozlawless@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hey sorry its hard for me to convey thru cyberspace what i want sometimes also in life but here goes
                    > >
                    > > 1. Create a file from O#### to M30
                    > >
                    > > 2. The file name needs to be same as line just before M30 (FILENAME)
                    > >
                    > > 3. I don't have any input other than open the master file
                    > >
                    > > 4. Yes all files will look like this other than the O#### (INFO ) at the start and the name just before the M30
                    > >
                    > > I pray that is helpful and makes sense
                    > >
                    > > Thank you to everyone who is helping me on this
                    > > Mike
                    >
                    > Mike,
                    >
                    > Open your "Master File" and start the following clip. It will split the text you've sent to the group into three parts. Each part is saved in a separate file. So you will get three files named SF 49A.txt, RPM 31C.txt, and SSR 105A.txt.
                    >

                    > ;^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                    > ^!Jump 1
                    > :Loop
                    > ^!Find "^O\d{4}\C+?M30$" RS
                    > ^!IfError End
                    > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
                    > ^!Jump Select_End
                    > ^!Jump -1
                    > ^!Find "^\(\x20\K.+(?=\x20\))" RS
                    > ^!Set %Name%="^$GetSelection$.txt"
                    > ^!TextToFile "^$GetDocumentPath$^%Name%" ^$GetClipboard$
                    > ^!Goto Loop
                    >

                    > I hope this will meet your intentions.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Flo

                  • flo.gehrke
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "bozlawless" <bozlawless@...> wrote:

                      > i ran it not sure were it saved them to when it was running it gave
                      > me a I/O ERROR

                      I've tested with NT Pro 6.12. What's your NT version?

                      Flo
                    • bozlawless
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
                        ver 6.12 i sent you more info

                        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "bozlawless" <bozlawless@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i ran it not sure were it saved them to when it was running it gave
                        > > me a I/O ERROR
                        >
                        > I've tested with NT Pro 6.12. What's your NT version?
                        >
                        > Flo

                      • flo.gehrke
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 6, 2009
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "bozlawless" <bozlawless@...> wrote:

                          > ver 6.12 i sent you more info

                          Mike,

                          There's a problem with your data. You wrote...

                          1. that the line before "M30" is containing the string that serves as the file name.

                          2. that this line has a format like '( SF 240B )'. But that's not the case in all those lines. Consequently, the clip captures another line that doesn't comply with the rules of correct file names. This ends up in an I/O Error.

                          You may run the following clip in order to see what those lines in question actually contain:

                          ^!Jump 1

                          :Loop
                          ^!Find "^M30" RS
                          ^!IfError End
                          ^!Set %Adr%=^$GetLine(-1)$
                          ^!Append %List%=^%Adr%^%NL%
                          ^!Goto Loop

                          :End
                          ^!Toolbar New Document
                          ^!InsertText ^%List%
                          ^!ClearVariable %List%

                          For example: See the following lines...

                          N84G28U0
                          T0101
                          M30

                          O0303

                          As you can see, the line before 'M30' has a format that doesn't accord with the format you described.

                          So it's up to you to clean your data or to give us a precise description of all possible formats of this line containing the file name.

                          Regards,
                          Flo
                        • bozlawless
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 7, 2009
                            Flo thanks for your help i cleaned up my "master file" and put a name above all the M30 but it is still stopping at O1232 AND O1518

                            When i cleaned up my "master file" and run your second clip it spits out a text file and shoes all the names are good

                            Thanks
                            Mike