Is there a more detailed explanation of Find\Replace options?

  • joy8388608
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009
      I must be overlooking something really basic, but I can't get the hang of the way some of the options work together in Find and Replace. I understand them individually, but together, they don't seem to do what I expect.

      I see that, For ^!Replace "other" >> "XXXother" IHSAW, the W overrides the H and replaces everything no matter what was selected. Ok, this is the way it works. No problem.

      NoteTab 6.12 Light XP Home SP3.
      Why does this clip not find anything (IfError is true right away no matter where the cursor is) but a non clip find command 'sees' all the matches?

      :LOOP
      ^!Find "other" IS
      ^!IfError END
      ^!InsertText XXXother
      ^!Goto LOOP

      other1
      other2

      other3

      other4

      other5

      If I add the H option and put a space before each digit, the strings are found and the strings from the cursor position down are changed. I expect this. BUT... if I select lines 2 through 4 (other 2 and other 3), the last four lines are changed, not just the selected two.

      Also, what happens in a clip when, in the middle of a Find loop, the cursor is moved around and/or different parts of text get selected than what were originally selected?

      Is there some pseudo code that explains the steps NoteTab takes?

      Thanks VERY much for help with this basic but really important command!

      Joy
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009
        Add a T after all, TIS the season to be jolly ...

        You need to look for partial words ... it is looking for full words by
        default ...

        ^!Jump Doc_Start
        :LOOP
        ^!Find "other" TIS
        ^!IfError END
        ^!InsertText XXXother
        ^!Goto LOOP

        There is a priority list in help that explains the steps notetab follows.

        When a command is executed, it will work where the cursor currently is
        or with what is currently highlighted.