Re: [Clip] Saving one's place

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
      Have you tried Search-Set (and Go) Bookmark?
      I don't use this feature myself but it sounds like what you are after.

      John Shotsky (jshotsky@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-11-03 at
      17:19):
      > Interesting problem:
      >
      > When looking at some section of a document, a certain amount is
      > visible on
      > the screen at a time. The cursor may or may not be in the field of
      > view -
      > perhaps it was scrolled up while reading. When an issue is seen that
      > one
      > wants to try a clip with, I'd like to have the same document segment
      > displayed after running the clip. Most of my clips affect the whole
      > document, so it will scroll during screen update, or after turning
      > off and
      > then Update Screen.
      >
      > I've tried using ScreenUpdate, but invariably it ends up somewhere
      > else
      > after the clip runs. Setting a variable seems to affect only where the
      > cursor is, so when you return to it, it is where the cursor was when
      > the
      > clip ran. Is there a way to return to the exact same screen after a
      > clip
      > runs, so you could quickly see what the result of the clip was? I
      > think I
      > spend as much time scrolling to line numbers that I write down than I
      > do
      > writing code! My documents are usually a few thousand lines long, and
      > I do
      > copy sections out to a smaller document to verify clip operation, but
      > that,
      > too, is time consuming.

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
        As near as I can tell, this is related to the cursor position, not the
        display position. As a workaround, I could click in the open document before
        running a clip. Still, the question is whether the window position can be
        restored after running a clip.

        John

        Have you tried Search-Set (and Go) Bookmark?
        I don't use this feature myself but it sounds like what you are after.

        John Shotsky (jshotsky@... <mailto:jshotsky%40comcast.net> ) wrote
        (in part) (on 2009-11-03 at
        17:19):
        > Interesting problem:
        >
        > When looking at some section of a document, a certain amount is
        > visible on
        > the screen at a time. The cursor may or may not be in the field of
        > view -
        > perhaps it was scrolled up while reading. When an issue is seen that
        > one
        > wants to try a clip with, I'd like to have the same document segment
        > displayed after running the clip. Most of my clips affect the whole
        > document, so it will scroll during screen update, or after turning
        > off and
        > then Update Screen.
        >
        > I've tried using ScreenUpdate, but invariably it ends up somewhere
        > else
        > after the clip runs. Setting a variable seems to affect only where the
        > cursor is, so when you return to it, it is where the cursor was when
        > the
        > clip ran. Is there a way to return to the exact same screen after a
        > clip
        > runs, so you could quickly see what the result of the clip was? I
        > think I
        > spend as much time scrolling to line numbers that I write down than I
        > do
        > writing code! My documents are usually a few thousand lines long, and
        > I do
        > copy sections out to a smaller document to verify clip operation, but
        > that,
        > too, is time consuming.

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
          I don't seem to be able to make the bookmark command work even when the
          cursor is at the point I want to restore.

          I click in my document to set the cursor at the beginning of row 1500.

          In my clip segment, I start it with:

          ^!ClearBookmarks

          ^!SetBookmark 1

          I end it with:

          ^!GoToBookmark 1

          At the end of the clip, it is positioned at the top of the document, which
          may be from some command in a called clip. Still, no other clip sets a
          bookmark. I must be doing something wrong.

          Any ideas?

          John

          From: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com>
          Have you tried Search-Set (and Go) Bookmark?
          I don't use this feature myself but it sounds like what you are after.

          John Shotsky (jshotsky@... <mailto:jshotsky%40comcast.net>
          <mailto:jshotsky%40comcast.net> ) wrote
          (in part) (on 2009-11-03 at
          17:19):
          > Interesting problem:
          >
          > When looking at some section of a document, a certain amount is
          > visible on
          > the screen at a time. The cursor may or may not be in the field of
          > view -
          > perhaps it was scrolled up while reading. When an issue is seen that
          > one
          > wants to try a clip with, I'd like to have the same document segment
          > displayed after running the clip. Most of my clips affect the whole
          > document, so it will scroll during screen update, or after turning
          > off and
          > then Update Screen.
          >
          > I've tried using ScreenUpdate, but invariably it ends up somewhere
          > else
          > after the clip runs. Setting a variable seems to affect only where the
          > cursor is, so when you return to it, it is where the cursor was when
          > the
          > clip ran. Is there a way to return to the exact same screen after a
          > clip
          > runs, so you could quickly see what the result of the clip was? I
          > think I
          > spend as much time scrolling to line numbers that I write down than I
          > do
          > writing code! My documents are usually a few thousand lines long, and
          > I do
          > copy sections out to a smaller document to verify clip operation, but
          > that,
          > too, is time consuming.

        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
            Don't understand the issue, you just want to go to the same position you
            started?

            Or does that positions change?

            With pro you just double click on the visible line numbers and type the
            number.

            Simple clip to store line in variable and jump back to it on completion
            if you wish ... would you like one?

            John Shotsky wrote:
            > I don't seem to be able to make the bookmark command work even when the
            > cursor is at the point I want to restore.
            >
            > I click in my document to set the cursor at the beginning of row 1500.
            >
            > In my clip segment, I start it with:
            >
            > ^!ClearBookmarks
            >
            > ^!SetBookmark 1
            >
            > I end it with:
            >
            > ^!GoToBookmark 1
          • flo.gehrke
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009

              > Still, the question is whether the window position can be
              > restored after running a clip.
              >
              > John

              John,

              I understand that your issue is this...

              On top of your screen, you may see line 300 of your document. Now you start a clip from this view that moves through the document and ends, say, at line 3,900. At the end, you want to see line 300 again on top of your screen.

              To achieve this, you may try ^!SetView...

              ^!Set %View%=^$GetRow$:1
              ; Any command that moves through the document
              ^!SetView ^%View%

              Regards,
              Flo
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                Yes, you understand correctly, except that my clip consists of many lines
                which process the whole document. So it doesn't just go from line 300 to the
                end, it goes from line 300 to the top, and then processes the entire
                document several times, once for each clip in the library.

                This works as long as I first place the cursor into the displayed section.
                And, if I click the top displayed row first, it displays the same lines as
                before. If I could get the same effect without having to locate the cursor
                in the window, it would be exactly what I want. If I do nothing except click
                the clip a second time, the cursor has relocated to the top of the document,
                so it works only the first time through unless I reposition the cursor a
                second time.

                What would give the exact result I want is a command to 'freeze' the display
                and then to 'unfreeze' it after the clip runs, so I would see only the
                change(s) caused by the clips. If you work on a short piece of text, you can
                watch the change take place, and can 'undo' your way back through it to see
                what it did. I know I can't do that with a long text, but I would like to be
                able to see the before and after with no intervening screen updates or
                manual steps to get back to that location.

                I do use screen update to stop the updates, but it still has problems- it
                displays the top of the document even though screenupdate is off. My clip
                looks like this:

                ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF

                ^!Set %View%=^$GetRow$:1

                *Intervening clips

                ^!SetView ^%View%

                ^!SetScreenUpdate ON

                John

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                  I sent that before I was ready to. Sorry.

                  The screenupdate issue is happening because other clips are called that have
                  StatusShow lines in them. When that command is encountered, it updates the
                  screen to the top of the document, displays the status message, then freezes
                  the display at the top of the document until the end of the clip, when the
                  original position is displayed. When I disable the StatusShow message, I get
                  the desired result.

                  So, the StatusShow command is ignoring the ScreenUpdate command. It should
                  show only the status message if ScreenUpdate is OFF. I suspect there is
                  nothing I can do to get the desired result at this point, as I read in the
                  help files that the screen is updated with this command.

                  I decided to use the jump command to get back to the original line, so my
                  current version looks like this:

                  ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF

                  ^!Set %View%=^$GetRow$

                  Intervening clips

                  ^!Jump ^%View%

                  If I were to propose a new feature, it would be a 'ScreenFreeze' feature
                  that would prevent scrolling during the operation of clips. It would obey
                  the ScreenUpdate command, so you could either watch the changes as they
                  occur in your window, or block them until the end of the clip. But the
                  window would display the same lines throughout the clip run. It would not do
                  a screen refresh for StatusShow messages, it would simply display the
                  message on the frozen window. If a ScreenFreeze feature was available, I
                  would probably use it 100% of the time I'm developing clips.

                  Thanks for the ideas.

                  John

                  > Still, the question is whether the window position can be
                  > restored after running a clip.
                  >
                  > John

                  John,

                  I understand that your issue is this...

                  On top of your screen, you may see line 300 of your document. Now you start
                  a clip from this view that moves through the document and ends, say, at line
                  3,900. At the end, you want to see line 300 again on top of your screen.

                  To achieve this, you may try ^!SetView...

                  ^!Set %View%=^$GetRow$:1
                  ; Any command that moves through the document
                  ^!SetView ^%View%

                  Regards,
                  Flo

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                    John Shotsky wrote:
                    > Interesting problem:
                    >
                    > When looking at some section of a document, a certain amount is
                    visible on
                    > the screen at a time. The cursor may or may not be in the field of
                    view -
                    > perhaps it was scrolled up while reading. When an issue is seen
                    that one
                    > wants to try a clip with, I'd like to have the same document segment
                    > displayed after running the clip. Most of my clips affect the whole
                    > document, so it will scroll during screen update, or after turning
                    off and
                    > then Update Screen.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > John

                    John,

                    Below is a small/short clip to help achieve your desired end result.
                    You must run it before running the other modifying clips and choose
                    'SET'. That will save the location of the text that currently shows
                    on your screen .

                    Following that you may run your clip series for the modifications to
                    your text file. Afterward, to return to the approximate location you
                    were in at the beginning run the clip again and select 'GET'. That
                    should return you to, if no lines were deleted or added, the exact
                    spot you were viewing before running your modifications.

                    Give it a try on something non-critical at first. This would work
                    best if you add an icon for the clip to you 'Personal ClipBar. You
                    would have access to the clip regardless of which library you're
                    working in.

                    H="SET/GET_ScreenPos"
                    ; • Modified-Updated~Created_2009.11.04
                    ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_07:47:00p
                    ^!SetIniFile NtbUsers
                    ^!GoTo ^?{SET or GET Screen Position==_SET||GET}
                    ;
                    :SET
                    ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$
                    ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                    ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:ScreenPos=^$GetRowTop$:^$GetColLeft$
                    ^!GoTo End
                    ;
                    :GET
                    ^!SetCursor ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                    ^!SetView ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                    ^!ClearValues ScreenPos
                    ;
                    :END
                    ^!SetIniFile

                    ºvº SL_day# 308 - created 2009.11.04_19.47.26

                    Rules guys wish girls knew...
                    • Sunday = Sports.
                    • It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

                    € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                      Very nice! Works perfectly, and I don't need to set the cursor first.

                      I wanted it inline for my use, so I modified it thusly: (I already have an .ini file active)
                      At the top:
                      ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                      ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                      ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:ScreenPos=^$GetRowTop$:^$GetColLeft$
                      [My clips]
                      ^!SetCursor ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                      ^!SetView ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                      ^!ClearValues ScreenPos

                      This was exactly what I had in mind, and I will be using it from now on.

                      An example of how this works for me is this: I have a document of over 7000 lines open. I note that some hyperlinks are missing the http:// so they don't appear as links in my document. Others are ok. I find one that needs changing at row 2579. I write a clip to add it, if it is missing, and if there is a space preceding the www.

                      ^!Replace "(\x20)(www\..+\.)(com|org)\b" >> "$1http:\/\/$2$3" AIRSTW

                      I place it in a test clip similar to the one above in the position of [my clips]. There are 40+ additional lines of clips above this one that set things up. Now, I run my clip library, which processes the whole document. It runs, and I can see that my new clip worked perfectly on that link without having to go find it. (I note that if there were two links in one line, I'd have a problem.)
                      Before:
                      Internet address: www.turkeyfed.org
                      After:
                      Internet address: http://www.turkeyfed.org

                      Thanks!
                      John

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                        John Shotsky wrote:
                        > Very nice! Works perfectly, and I don't need to set the cursor first.
                        >
                        > I wanted it inline for my use, so I modified it thusly: (I already have an .ini file active)
                        > At the top:
                        > ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                        > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                        > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:ScreenPos=^$GetRowTop$:^$GetColLeft$
                        > [My clips]
                        > ^!SetCursor ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                        > ^!SetView ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                        > ^!ClearValues ScreenPos
                        >
                        > This was exactly what I had in mind, and I will be using it from now on.

                        John,

                        Great, my next suggestion was to incorporate this into your clip
                        sequence but I see you've already done it.

                        Just one other thing, these lines, and there should be 2 lines are
                        redundant unless you're going to do something with the individual
                        numbers that are generated. This may have been joined in email.

                        currently in email;;;
                        ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue
                        ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$

                        should be;;;
                        ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$
                        ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$

                        ºvº SL_day# 308 - created 2009.11.04_22.54.51

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                          Thanks, noted.

                          Yes, email wrapped them. I always put each command on its own line, so I don’t overlook one later. I’ve noticed quite a few things that cause this problem of email not being faithful to the text. I wonder what causes that?

                          John

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 5, 2009
                            If I was aware of savevalue I forgot it ... I know I have saved to ini
                            before, so maybe I just forgot. Good implementation.

                            There was another command in this thread that I don't know or have
                            forgotten. Thanks all for contributing to this group. I learn regularly.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 5, 2009
                              ^!SetView RowTop:ColLeft (added in v4.8)
                              Moves the top line and leftmost column to the specified coordinates in
                              current document window.

                              Thoughts on that vs other options? User choice or benefits?

                              ^!SetCursor Row:Col
                              Places cursor at specified row and column.

                              hsavage wrote:
                              > John Shotsky wrote:
                              >> Very nice! Works perfectly, and I don't need to set the cursor first.
                              >>
                              >> I wanted it inline for my use, so I modified it thusly: (I already have an .ini file active)
                              >> At the top:
                              >> ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                              >> ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                              >> ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:ScreenPos=^$GetRowTop$:^$GetColLeft$
                              >> [My clips]
                              >> ^!SetCursor ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                              >> ^!SetView ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                              >> ^!ClearValues ScreenPos
                              >>
                              >> This was exactly what I had in mind, and I will be using it from now on.
                              >
                              > John,
                              >
                              > Great, my next suggestion was to incorporate this into your clip
                              > sequence but I see you've already done it.
                              >
                              > Just one other thing, these lines, and there should be 2 lines are
                              > redundant unless you're going to do something with the individual
                              > numbers that are generated. This may have been joined in email.
                              >
                              > currently in email;;;
                              > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue
                              > ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                              >
                              > should be;;;
                              > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$
                              > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$

                            • Bob Gorman
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 22, 2009
                                OTL Tools...
                                I use OTL files extensively.

                                One clip I'd like does this:
                                It reads thru an OTL file and creates the following type of report:
                                Topic1 - 23 lines
                                Topic2 - 49 lines
                                Topic3 - 18 lines
                                etc.

                                Why:
                                My OTL files grow fast, and when they get too big, I create a new
                                separate otl file.

                                Handy Tip:
                                For those like me who use hierarchies extensively, here's a poor man's
                                hierarchy technique, since otl files offer only 1 level of indentation:

                                I simply use '2 spaces' to indicate visually a new level of hierarchy or
                                indentation.
                                Hence, example: (dots indicate spaces)
                                Black Boxes
                                ..Aviation Psychology
                                ....CRM - Cockpit Resource Management
                                ..A10
                                ....Photos

                                Bob
                                --
                                Everyone is Gifted;
                                Everyone is Handicapped;

                              • tom thomas
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 22, 2009
                                  Good idea about the spaces in otl titles. I also
                                  use just a single space for a title. Appears as a blank title.

                                  Tom