Saving one's place

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
      Interesting problem:

      When looking at some section of a document, a certain amount is visible on
      the screen at a time. The cursor may or may not be in the field of view -
      perhaps it was scrolled up while reading. When an issue is seen that one
      wants to try a clip with, I'd like to have the same document segment
      displayed after running the clip. Most of my clips affect the whole
      document, so it will scroll during screen update, or after turning off and
      then Update Screen.

      I've tried using ScreenUpdate, but invariably it ends up somewhere else
      after the clip runs. Setting a variable seems to affect only where the
      cursor is, so when you return to it, it is where the cursor was when the
      clip ran. Is there a way to return to the exact same screen after a clip
      runs, so you could quickly see what the result of the clip was? I think I
      spend as much time scrolling to line numbers that I write down than I do
      writing code! My documents are usually a few thousand lines long, and I do
      copy sections out to a smaller document to verify clip operation, but that,
      too, is time consuming.

      Thanks,

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
        Have you tried Search-Set (and Go) Bookmark?
        I don't use this feature myself but it sounds like what you are after.

        John Shotsky (jshotsky@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-11-03 at
        17:19):
        > Interesting problem:
        >
        > When looking at some section of a document, a certain amount is
        > visible on
        > the screen at a time. The cursor may or may not be in the field of
        > view -
        > perhaps it was scrolled up while reading. When an issue is seen that
        > one
        > wants to try a clip with, I'd like to have the same document segment
        > displayed after running the clip. Most of my clips affect the whole
        > document, so it will scroll during screen update, or after turning
        > off and
        > then Update Screen.
        >
        > I've tried using ScreenUpdate, but invariably it ends up somewhere
        > else
        > after the clip runs. Setting a variable seems to affect only where the
        > cursor is, so when you return to it, it is where the cursor was when
        > the
        > clip ran. Is there a way to return to the exact same screen after a
        > clip
        > runs, so you could quickly see what the result of the clip was? I
        > think I
        > spend as much time scrolling to line numbers that I write down than I
        > do
        > writing code! My documents are usually a few thousand lines long, and
        > I do
        > copy sections out to a smaller document to verify clip operation, but
        > that,
        > too, is time consuming.

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
          As near as I can tell, this is related to the cursor position, not the
          display position. As a workaround, I could click in the open document before
          running a clip. Still, the question is whether the window position can be
          restored after running a clip.

          John

          Have you tried Search-Set (and Go) Bookmark?
          I don't use this feature myself but it sounds like what you are after.

          John Shotsky (jshotsky@... <mailto:jshotsky%40comcast.net> ) wrote
          (in part) (on 2009-11-03 at
          17:19):
          > Interesting problem:
          >
          > When looking at some section of a document, a certain amount is
          > visible on
          > the screen at a time. The cursor may or may not be in the field of
          > view -
          > perhaps it was scrolled up while reading. When an issue is seen that
          > one
          > wants to try a clip with, I'd like to have the same document segment
          > displayed after running the clip. Most of my clips affect the whole
          > document, so it will scroll during screen update, or after turning
          > off and
          > then Update Screen.
          >
          > I've tried using ScreenUpdate, but invariably it ends up somewhere
          > else
          > after the clip runs. Setting a variable seems to affect only where the
          > cursor is, so when you return to it, it is where the cursor was when
          > the
          > clip ran. Is there a way to return to the exact same screen after a
          > clip
          > runs, so you could quickly see what the result of the clip was? I
          > think I
          > spend as much time scrolling to line numbers that I write down than I
          > do
          > writing code! My documents are usually a few thousand lines long, and
          > I do
          > copy sections out to a smaller document to verify clip operation, but
          > that,
          > too, is time consuming.

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
            I don't seem to be able to make the bookmark command work even when the
            cursor is at the point I want to restore.

            I click in my document to set the cursor at the beginning of row 1500.

            In my clip segment, I start it with:

            ^!ClearBookmarks

            ^!SetBookmark 1

            I end it with:

            ^!GoToBookmark 1

            At the end of the clip, it is positioned at the top of the document, which
            may be from some command in a called clip. Still, no other clip sets a
            bookmark. I must be doing something wrong.

            Any ideas?

            John

            From: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com>
            Have you tried Search-Set (and Go) Bookmark?
            I don't use this feature myself but it sounds like what you are after.

            John Shotsky (jshotsky@... <mailto:jshotsky%40comcast.net>
            <mailto:jshotsky%40comcast.net> ) wrote
            (in part) (on 2009-11-03 at
            17:19):
            > Interesting problem:
            >
            > When looking at some section of a document, a certain amount is
            > visible on
            > the screen at a time. The cursor may or may not be in the field of
            > view -
            > perhaps it was scrolled up while reading. When an issue is seen that
            > one
            > wants to try a clip with, I'd like to have the same document segment
            > displayed after running the clip. Most of my clips affect the whole
            > document, so it will scroll during screen update, or after turning
            > off and
            > then Update Screen.
            >
            > I've tried using ScreenUpdate, but invariably it ends up somewhere
            > else
            > after the clip runs. Setting a variable seems to affect only where the
            > cursor is, so when you return to it, it is where the cursor was when
            > the
            > clip ran. Is there a way to return to the exact same screen after a
            > clip
            > runs, so you could quickly see what the result of the clip was? I
            > think I
            > spend as much time scrolling to line numbers that I write down than I
            > do
            > writing code! My documents are usually a few thousand lines long, and
            > I do
            > copy sections out to a smaller document to verify clip operation, but
            > that,
            > too, is time consuming.

          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
              Don't understand the issue, you just want to go to the same position you
              started?

              Or does that positions change?

              With pro you just double click on the visible line numbers and type the
              number.

              Simple clip to store line in variable and jump back to it on completion
              if you wish ... would you like one?

              John Shotsky wrote:
              > I don't seem to be able to make the bookmark command work even when the
              > cursor is at the point I want to restore.
              >
              > I click in my document to set the cursor at the beginning of row 1500.
              >
              > In my clip segment, I start it with:
              >
              > ^!ClearBookmarks
              >
              > ^!SetBookmark 1
              >
              > I end it with:
              >
              > ^!GoToBookmark 1
            • flo.gehrke
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009

                > Still, the question is whether the window position can be
                > restored after running a clip.
                >
                > John

                John,

                I understand that your issue is this...

                On top of your screen, you may see line 300 of your document. Now you start a clip from this view that moves through the document and ends, say, at line 3,900. At the end, you want to see line 300 again on top of your screen.

                To achieve this, you may try ^!SetView...

                ^!Set %View%=^$GetRow$:1
                ; Any command that moves through the document
                ^!SetView ^%View%

                Regards,
                Flo
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Yes, you understand correctly, except that my clip consists of many lines
                  which process the whole document. So it doesn't just go from line 300 to the
                  end, it goes from line 300 to the top, and then processes the entire
                  document several times, once for each clip in the library.

                  This works as long as I first place the cursor into the displayed section.
                  And, if I click the top displayed row first, it displays the same lines as
                  before. If I could get the same effect without having to locate the cursor
                  in the window, it would be exactly what I want. If I do nothing except click
                  the clip a second time, the cursor has relocated to the top of the document,
                  so it works only the first time through unless I reposition the cursor a
                  second time.

                  What would give the exact result I want is a command to 'freeze' the display
                  and then to 'unfreeze' it after the clip runs, so I would see only the
                  change(s) caused by the clips. If you work on a short piece of text, you can
                  watch the change take place, and can 'undo' your way back through it to see
                  what it did. I know I can't do that with a long text, but I would like to be
                  able to see the before and after with no intervening screen updates or
                  manual steps to get back to that location.

                  I do use screen update to stop the updates, but it still has problems- it
                  displays the top of the document even though screenupdate is off. My clip
                  looks like this:

                  ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF

                  ^!Set %View%=^$GetRow$:1

                  *Intervening clips

                  ^!SetView ^%View%

                  ^!SetScreenUpdate ON

                  John

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                    I sent that before I was ready to. Sorry.

                    The screenupdate issue is happening because other clips are called that have
                    StatusShow lines in them. When that command is encountered, it updates the
                    screen to the top of the document, displays the status message, then freezes
                    the display at the top of the document until the end of the clip, when the
                    original position is displayed. When I disable the StatusShow message, I get
                    the desired result.

                    So, the StatusShow command is ignoring the ScreenUpdate command. It should
                    show only the status message if ScreenUpdate is OFF. I suspect there is
                    nothing I can do to get the desired result at this point, as I read in the
                    help files that the screen is updated with this command.

                    I decided to use the jump command to get back to the original line, so my
                    current version looks like this:

                    ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF

                    ^!Set %View%=^$GetRow$

                    Intervening clips

                    ^!Jump ^%View%

                    If I were to propose a new feature, it would be a 'ScreenFreeze' feature
                    that would prevent scrolling during the operation of clips. It would obey
                    the ScreenUpdate command, so you could either watch the changes as they
                    occur in your window, or block them until the end of the clip. But the
                    window would display the same lines throughout the clip run. It would not do
                    a screen refresh for StatusShow messages, it would simply display the
                    message on the frozen window. If a ScreenFreeze feature was available, I
                    would probably use it 100% of the time I'm developing clips.

                    Thanks for the ideas.

                    John

                    > Still, the question is whether the window position can be
                    > restored after running a clip.
                    >
                    > John

                    John,

                    I understand that your issue is this...

                    On top of your screen, you may see line 300 of your document. Now you start
                    a clip from this view that moves through the document and ends, say, at line
                    3,900. At the end, you want to see line 300 again on top of your screen.

                    To achieve this, you may try ^!SetView...

                    ^!Set %View%=^$GetRow$:1
                    ; Any command that moves through the document
                    ^!SetView ^%View%

                    Regards,
                    Flo

                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                      John Shotsky wrote:
                      > Interesting problem:
                      >
                      > When looking at some section of a document, a certain amount is
                      visible on
                      > the screen at a time. The cursor may or may not be in the field of
                      view -
                      > perhaps it was scrolled up while reading. When an issue is seen
                      that one
                      > wants to try a clip with, I'd like to have the same document segment
                      > displayed after running the clip. Most of my clips affect the whole
                      > document, so it will scroll during screen update, or after turning
                      off and
                      > then Update Screen.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > John

                      John,

                      Below is a small/short clip to help achieve your desired end result.
                      You must run it before running the other modifying clips and choose
                      'SET'. That will save the location of the text that currently shows
                      on your screen .

                      Following that you may run your clip series for the modifications to
                      your text file. Afterward, to return to the approximate location you
                      were in at the beginning run the clip again and select 'GET'. That
                      should return you to, if no lines were deleted or added, the exact
                      spot you were viewing before running your modifications.

                      Give it a try on something non-critical at first. This would work
                      best if you add an icon for the clip to you 'Personal ClipBar. You
                      would have access to the clip regardless of which library you're
                      working in.

                      H="SET/GET_ScreenPos"
                      ; • Modified-Updated~Created_2009.11.04
                      ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_07:47:00p
                      ^!SetIniFile NtbUsers
                      ^!GoTo ^?{SET or GET Screen Position==_SET||GET}
                      ;
                      :SET
                      ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$
                      ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                      ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:ScreenPos=^$GetRowTop$:^$GetColLeft$
                      ^!GoTo End
                      ;
                      :GET
                      ^!SetCursor ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                      ^!SetView ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                      ^!ClearValues ScreenPos
                      ;
                      :END
                      ^!SetIniFile

                      ºvº SL_day# 308 - created 2009.11.04_19.47.26

                      Rules guys wish girls knew...
                      • Sunday = Sports.
                      • It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

                      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

                    • John Shotsky
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                        Very nice! Works perfectly, and I don't need to set the cursor first.

                        I wanted it inline for my use, so I modified it thusly: (I already have an .ini file active)
                        At the top:
                        ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                        ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                        ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:ScreenPos=^$GetRowTop$:^$GetColLeft$
                        [My clips]
                        ^!SetCursor ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                        ^!SetView ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                        ^!ClearValues ScreenPos

                        This was exactly what I had in mind, and I will be using it from now on.

                        An example of how this works for me is this: I have a document of over 7000 lines open. I note that some hyperlinks are missing the http:// so they don't appear as links in my document. Others are ok. I find one that needs changing at row 2579. I write a clip to add it, if it is missing, and if there is a space preceding the www.

                        ^!Replace "(\x20)(www\..+\.)(com|org)\b" >> "$1http:\/\/$2$3" AIRSTW

                        I place it in a test clip similar to the one above in the position of [my clips]. There are 40+ additional lines of clips above this one that set things up. Now, I run my clip library, which processes the whole document. It runs, and I can see that my new clip worked perfectly on that link without having to go find it. (I note that if there were two links in one line, I'd have a problem.)
                        Before:
                        Internet address: www.turkeyfed.org
                        After:
                        Internet address: http://www.turkeyfed.org

                        Thanks!
                        John

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                          John Shotsky wrote:
                          > Very nice! Works perfectly, and I don't need to set the cursor first.
                          >
                          > I wanted it inline for my use, so I modified it thusly: (I already have an .ini file active)
                          > At the top:
                          > ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                          > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                          > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:ScreenPos=^$GetRowTop$:^$GetColLeft$
                          > [My clips]
                          > ^!SetCursor ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                          > ^!SetView ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                          > ^!ClearValues ScreenPos
                          >
                          > This was exactly what I had in mind, and I will be using it from now on.

                          John,

                          Great, my next suggestion was to incorporate this into your clip
                          sequence but I see you've already done it.

                          Just one other thing, these lines, and there should be 2 lines are
                          redundant unless you're going to do something with the individual
                          numbers that are generated. This may have been joined in email.

                          currently in email;;;
                          ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue
                          ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$

                          should be;;;
                          ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$
                          ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$

                          ºvº SL_day# 308 - created 2009.11.04_22.54.51

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                            Thanks, noted.

                            Yes, email wrapped them. I always put each command on its own line, so I don’t overlook one later. I’ve noticed quite a few things that cause this problem of email not being faithful to the text. I wonder what causes that?

                            John

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 5, 2009
                              If I was aware of savevalue I forgot it ... I know I have saved to ini
                              before, so maybe I just forgot. Good implementation.

                              There was another command in this thread that I don't know or have
                              forgotten. Thanks all for contributing to this group. I learn regularly.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 5, 2009
                                ^!SetView RowTop:ColLeft (added in v4.8)
                                Moves the top line and leftmost column to the specified coordinates in
                                current document window.

                                Thoughts on that vs other options? User choice or benefits?

                                ^!SetCursor Row:Col
                                Places cursor at specified row and column.

                                hsavage wrote:
                                > John Shotsky wrote:
                                >> Very nice! Works perfectly, and I don't need to set the cursor first.
                                >>
                                >> I wanted it inline for my use, so I modified it thusly: (I already have an .ini file active)
                                >> At the top:
                                >> ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                                >> ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                                >> ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:ScreenPos=^$GetRowTop$:^$GetColLeft$
                                >> [My clips]
                                >> ^!SetCursor ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                                >> ^!SetView ^$GetValue(ScreenPos:ScreenPos)$
                                >> ^!ClearValues ScreenPos
                                >>
                                >> This was exactly what I had in mind, and I will be using it from now on.
                                >
                                > John,
                                >
                                > Great, my next suggestion was to incorporate this into your clip
                                > sequence but I see you've already done it.
                                >
                                > Just one other thing, these lines, and there should be 2 lines are
                                > redundant unless you're going to do something with the individual
                                > numbers that are generated. This may have been joined in email.
                                >
                                > currently in email;;;
                                > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$ ^!SaveValue
                                > ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$
                                >
                                > should be;;;
                                > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetRowTop=^$GetRowTop$
                                > ^!SaveValue ScreenPos:GetColLeft=^$GetColLeft$

                              • Bob Gorman
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 22, 2009
                                  OTL Tools...
                                  I use OTL files extensively.

                                  One clip I'd like does this:
                                  It reads thru an OTL file and creates the following type of report:
                                  Topic1 - 23 lines
                                  Topic2 - 49 lines
                                  Topic3 - 18 lines
                                  etc.

                                  Why:
                                  My OTL files grow fast, and when they get too big, I create a new
                                  separate otl file.

                                  Handy Tip:
                                  For those like me who use hierarchies extensively, here's a poor man's
                                  hierarchy technique, since otl files offer only 1 level of indentation:

                                  I simply use '2 spaces' to indicate visually a new level of hierarchy or
                                  indentation.
                                  Hence, example: (dots indicate spaces)
                                  Black Boxes
                                  ..Aviation Psychology
                                  ....CRM - Cockpit Resource Management
                                  ..A10
                                  ....Photos

                                  Bob
                                  --
                                  Everyone is Gifted;
                                  Everyone is Handicapped;

                                • tom thomas
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 22, 2009
                                    Good idea about the spaces in otl titles. I also
                                    use just a single space for a title. Appears as a blank title.

                                    Tom