Re: [Clip] Finding Minimum Value in Array

  • flo.gehrke
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Hugo Paulissen <hugopaulissen@...> wrote:

      > OK Don, Sorry Flo,
      >
      > Forget my last post; I see what you mean... Now I *do* remember the padding zero issue! It's getting rusty inside...
      >
      > Hugo

      Hugo, Don,

      I don't think that Hugo was wrong. There has always been some confusion about this issue (cf message #19038 ff).

      The trick is the ^%NL% as delimiter. With the semicolon as the default delimiter the array won't get sorted:

      ^!SetArray %Array%=9;8;7;6;5
      ^!Info Array unsorted:^P^%Array%
      ^!SetArray %Array%=^$StrSort("^%Array%";0;1;0)$
      ^!Info Sorting failed: ^%Array%
      ^!Info Wrong minimum value: ^%Array1%

      The clip outputs '9' which doesn't meet our intentions. With ^P as delimiter it doesn't work either.

      With ^%NL% (which replaces the comma in Hugo's solution)...

      ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
      ^!SetArray %Array%=9^%NL%8^%NL%7^%NL%6^%NL%5
      ^!Info Array unsorted:^P^%Array%
      ^!SetArray %Array%=^$StrSort("^%Array%";0;1;0)$
      ^!Info Array correctly sorted:^P^%Array%
      ^!Info Minimum value: ^%Array1%

      the array gets sorted and the clip outputs the minimum value in the array. Nevertheless, it's still a normal ANSI sorting of digits and no numeric sorting.

      Regards,
      Flo
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009
        I am pretty sure you are just picking lucky numbers to use and thus
        getting lucky :-)

        I agree that you need the line breaks as delimiter because we are
        sorting lines, not data elements. But it will not do what you wanted,
        give the minimum unless you zero pad. You can however add zero padding,
        sort, strip and output if you wish.

        I mistakenly did not include the correct numbers in my prior example.

        :Mine
        ^!SetListDelimiter ,
        ^!SetArray %Array%=8,329,7,4,9,6,5
        ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
        ^!SetArray
        %Array%=^$StrSort("^$StrReplace(",";"^%NL%";"^%Array%";0;0)$";False;True;False)$
        ^!Info ^%Array1% ^%NL% ^%Array%

        :Flo
        ^!SetListDelimiter ^%NL%
        ^!SetArray %Array%=8^%NL%329^%NL%7^%NL%4^%NL%9^%NL%6^%NL%5
        ^!Info Array unsorted:^P^%Array%
        ^!SetArray %Array%=^$StrSort("^%Array%";0;1;0)$
        ^!Info Array correctly sorted:^P^%Array%
        ^!Info Minimum value: ^%Array1%

        Notice I also used NL in my example because we figured that one out many
        years ago -- look up my username and zero padding ....

        329 comes out on top in the above examples because 3 is the lowest
        number. Hugo and I have done the zero padding bit many times over the
        years as I use his method for it.

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2009

          > I am pretty sure you are just picking lucky numbers to use and thus
          > getting lucky :-)

          Don,

          > 329 comes out on top in the above examples because 3 is the
          > lowest number.

          Yes, Don, you are absolutely right. Now it was "getting rusty inside" for me ;-)

          I should have known better since I already said: "Nevertheless, it's still a normal ANSI sorting of digits and no numeric sorting."

          So a better numeric sorting remains on the wish list. Something like...

          ^$StrSort("Str";Numeric;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$

          (as you had in mind before). I hope Eric Fookes will read this...

          Regards,
          Flo
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2009
            I agree that NoteTab needs a numeric sort period, not just in the clip
            functions but in the editor itself. Under the assumption that the clip sort
            is a mirror of the editor sort you can easily see the results (and
            fallacies), of all the arrays in this thread. Even zero padding is not an
            answer:

            Copy Hugo's last array to NTB, change all the commas to ^P and sort:
            ^!SetArray %Array%=03,8,329,1,1.25,7,10.34,4,9,6,
            2,5,11,0.25,0.1,10000,20,0.0119,10,0.012
            Notice the "03" is less than "1", "11" is less than 2", and so on.

            And while we're at it, NoteTab also sorely needs a major/minor column sort.
            Jody's clip has never worked for me so I am left with going to Ultra Edit
            for anything other than trivial column one sorts. The lack of column sorts
            is a PITA and an unnecessary waste of time.

            BTW, UE not only does the numeric sorts but preserved the leading zero
            padding characters while correctly sorting the numeric values.

            Art