Lock Clips

  • bozlawless
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
      i am sure this has been asked but i cant find it in here can you lock a clip or password protect it ?
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
        bozlawless wrote:
        > i am sure this has been asked but i cant find it in here can
        > you lock a clip or password protect it ?

        I'm not really sure what you want to achieve there, but simply setting
        the read-only flag on the .clb file prevents you from inadvertantly
        altering it.

        Axel
      • bozlawless
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
          does not work for me

          > bozlawless wrote:
          > > i am sure this has been asked but i cant find it in here can
          > > you lock a clip or password protect it ?
          >
          > I'm not really sure what you want to achieve there, but simply setting
          > the read-only flag on the .clb file prevents you from inadvertantly
          > altering it.
          >
          > Axel

        • Don Daugherty
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
            bozlawless wrote:
            > does not work for me
            >

            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
            >
            >> bozlawless wrote:
            >>
            >>> i am sure this has been asked but i cant find it in here can
            >>> you lock a clip or password protect it ?
            >>>
            >> I'm not really sure what you want to achieve there, but simply setting
            >> the read-only flag on the .clb file prevents you from inadvertantly
            >> altering it.
            >>
            >> Axel

            I think some of us are wondering what you mean by "Locking" or "Password
            protecting" a Clip.

            Are you trying to prevent editing/deleting/viewing the clip, or trying
            to prevent others from executing it, or what?
          • bozlawless
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
              LOCK IT SO IT TAKES ANOTHER STEP TO KEEP FROM EDITING OR MESSING UP A CLIP

              if i am editing a clip and accidental get on the wrong one it screws up that clip can i lock a clip so it cant be edited accidental

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Don Daugherty <daugherty@...> wrote:

              > bozlawless wrote:
              > > does not work for me
              > >

              > > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:

              > >> I'm not really sure what you want to achieve there, but simply setting
              > >> the read-only flag on the .clb file prevents you from inadvertantly
              > >> altering it.
              > >>
              > >> Axel
              > >>
              > I think some of us are wondering what you mean by "Locking" or "Password
              > protecting" a Clip.
              >
              > Are you trying to prevent editing/deleting/viewing the clip, or trying
              > to prevent others from executing it, or what?

            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 26, 2009
                Make the clip file read only externally to NoteTab, while NoteTab is closed.

                John

                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com> , Don
                Daugherty <daugherty@...> wrote:

                > bozlawless wrote:
                > > does not work for me
                > >

                > > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:

                > >> I'm not really sure what you want to achieve there, but simply setting
                > >> the read-only flag on the .clb file prevents you from inadvertantly
                > >> altering it.
                > >>
                > >> Axel
                > >>
                > I think some of us are wondering what you mean by "Locking" or "Password
                > protecting" a Clip.
                >
                > Are you trying to prevent editing/deleting/viewing the clip, or trying
                > to prevent others from executing it, or what?

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                  bozlawless wrote:
                  > i am sure this has been asked but i cant find it in here can you
                  lock a clip or password protect it ?

                  boz...,

                  You could change the clip library disk file, "filename.clb", to
                  Read-Only as has been suggested. That will prevent NoteTab from
                  saving any changes. It does work if you change the disk file to
                  Read-Only. Of course, this precludes you from editing any clip in
                  the library.

                  Another option is to save the library to another, backup, filename
                  before you start editing.

                  Third option is always use the Clip Editor, never edit the open file
                  in NoteTab. The clip-editor displays only the specific clip you
                  select to edit.

                  Last one, you might consider using the NoteTab bookmark function to
                  mark the clip to edit and use the bookmark to jump to the marked clip
                  in the library file before you change anything.

                  ºvº SL_day# 300 - created 2009.10.27_01.39.33

                  Rules guys wish girls knew...
                  • If you don't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls,
                  • don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.

                  € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

                • bozlawless
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                    Oh ok i understand about the Read-Only it does work great idea thank you to everyone who helped

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                      hsavage wrote:
                      > Third option is always use the Clip Editor, never edit the open file
                      > in NoteTab. The clip-editor displays only the specific clip you
                      > select to edit.

                      Warning:
                      This is quite a *dangerous* option, find, search and replace escape the
                      displayed clip and will alter all of the clipbook unless you're very
                      careful. *Never* use the "all" option here.

                      Backups are of course the most important thing. I use several computers
                      and synchronize them often, so there always is one version from the
                      start of the session whatever I do.

                      Axel
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                        Yes I have had a search and replace screw up many clips below on more
                        than one occasion. I am now good at highlighting the current clip
                        before doing so. It would be nice if it warned you before continuing on
                        to a subsequent clip, but because really it is displaying a subpart of a
                        larger file ... well it just keeps on replacing.

                        Axel Berger wrote:
                        > hsavage wrote:
                        >> Third option is always use the Clip Editor, never edit the open file
                        >> in NoteTab. The clip-editor displays only the specific clip you
                        >> select to edit.
                        >
                        > Warning:
                        > This is quite a *dangerous* option, find, search and replace escape the
                        > displayed clip and will alter all of the clipbook unless you're very
                        > careful. *Never* use the "all" option here.
                        >
                        > Backups are of course the most important thing. I use several computers
                        > and synchronize them often, so there always is one version from the
                        > start of the session whatever I do.
                        >
                        > Axel
                      • Robin & Blaine
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 27, 2009
                          Hi bozlawless,

                          I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you can plug this
                          snip into any clip you want to prevent the operation of while you're
                          focused on editing the particular file. This should help you even if you
                          jump to a clip in another library file as long as you're focused on a
                          .clb file.
                          Note that if you're using clips to build and run clips, this could mess
                          you up.
                          On the other hand, I alter this slightly to make sure I'm focused on
                          just a .css file and nothing else when I'm running CSSTidy, or in just a
                          .htm/.html file when running HTMLTidy. I used to get slightly perturbed
                          when I'd CSSTidy some other type of file than a .css!

                          :ext_check
                          ^!Set %infile%=^$GetDocName$
                          ;Returns entire path and file name of focused file.
                          ^!Set %ckext%=^$GetExt(^%infile%)$
                          ;Separates and returns the extension of focused file (with extension dot).
                          ^!IfSame ^%ckext% .clb mybad
                          ;IfSame is not case sensitive. If the focused file is a library clip
                          file (.clb), jump to mybad, otherwise, go ahead and operate.
                          ;If you want to add more extensions to protect, it's easy.
                          ^!IfSame ^%ckext% .clh mybad
                          ^!IfSame ^%ckext% .ctb mybad
                          ^!Goto operate
                          ;If all tests are passed, then jump to operate.

                          :mybad
                          ^!Info [L] AAAYYYEEE YYOOUU! Wrong file! Wake up! Get out of this file
                          and focus on the one you want! Or did you click the wrong clip??
                          ;The polite? reminder.
                          ^!Goto Exit
                          ;Totally quit ALL operations of ALL clips including Parents with Exit.

                          :operate
                          ;The rest of the story...

                          If you want make sure you're in just the right kind of file, try this
                          IfSame test arrangement.

                          ^!IfSame ^%ckext% .css operate
                          ^!Goto mybad
                          ;If the test FAILS, don't operate, but jump to mybad.

                          This is the one that keeps me calm when I'm CSSTidy-ing!