how to open a list of files in different subdirectories

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
      I have a bunch of files in subdirectories (well only one file per
      sub-directory).

      So I have:
      folder1/folder1.html
      folder2/folder2.html
      etc.

      All in the main folder ...

      So mainfolder/folder1/folder1.html

      I want to open all of the files ... how do I do it?
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
        "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
        > So I have:
        > folder1/folder1.html
        > folder2/folder2.html
        >
        > All in the main folder ...
        > So mainfolder/folder1/folder1.html
        >
        > I want to open all of the files ... how do I do it?

        Two answers:
        If you want to open them all at the same time you can do a search for
        something innocuous like </head> on mainfolder/.

        If you want to run a clip on all of them the best way to do it might be
        going through mainfolder/ recursively. In NoteTab you need not do that
        yourself, Clips do it for you if you add a "+" to ^$GetFileFirst()$

        Axel
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
          Wow, what a duh moment for me or a stroke of brilliance for you ... just
          use search disk ... why didn't I think of that? So simple and in this
          case enough since it's a one off idea with only 105 or so files.

          I'll take a look at GetFileFirst as I don't think I have ever used it
          before.

          So what I need is a clip that extracts part of the body of the open
          file, puts it in a delimited file where column one is the name of the
          folder being opened and column two is the extracted data, rinse and
          repeat until all files are exhausted.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
            "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
            > since it's a one off idea with only 105 or so files.

            Opening 105 files all at once seems a bit much even for NoteTab. So I'd
            suggest you do read about GetFileFirst and have them processed one after
            the other. It's quite simple, though admittedly I was familiar with the
            concept from other programming languages before.

            Axel
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
              they are small files ... I already opened them
              going to append to a file and close them one at a time probably

              not a particularly efficient method perhaps, but one that will work