Re: [Clip] Toolbar/Button Help

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 20, 2009
      bibbings wrote:
      > Does this sound like something that NoteTab could do?

      Very easily. Your cheat sheets are more or less equal to the most basic
      and primitive use of clips. You can have headers, your index, and on
      clicking them, their content, if it is pure text without any CLIP
      commands, will be pasted into the currently open document.
      Alternatively you could make them open alert boxes with your switch
      parameters. You can also make them run external batch files like a DOS
      batch copying a command string to your serial connection, other DOS
      commands like ping or what have you.

      Axel
    • Pete Turner
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 20, 2009
        > That's the great thing about NoteTab, there are many ways to get the
        > same result. I hope Eric never phases this format out,
        > ^[yyyymmdd-hh:nn:ss^], but, if he does I'll adapt.

        Eric has a very good track record when it comes to maintaining backward compatibility, which is very commendable (especially compared to some other software authors I could name).

        Pete
      • bibbings
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 20, 2009
          Axel,

          Excellent. This works great. Thanks. Now I have a bunch of work to do...

          Bob

          > bibbings wrote:
          > > Does this sound like something that NoteTab could do?
          >
          > Very easily. Your cheat sheets are more or less equal to the most basic
          > and primitive use of clips. You can have headers, your index, and on
          > clicking them, their content, if it is pure text without any CLIP
          > commands, will be pasted into the currently open document.
          > Alternatively you could make them open alert boxes with your switch
          > parameters. You can also make them run external batch files like a DOS
          > batch copying a command string to your serial connection, other DOS
          > commands like ping or what have you.
          >
          > Axel

        • loro
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 21, 2009
            bibbings wrote:
            > I was very frustrated at 2am
            >the other night when I composed my original email so if my original
            >post didn't seem to friendly, that would be why.

            Don't worry. You didn't come off as unfriendly at all.

            >but had totally forgotten
            >everything about making the button on the clipbar. I remembered it
            >being fairly simple, but could recall none of it. I thought that
            >somehow the template feature on the file menu had something to do
            >with it but was unable to make it work for me. I searched the help
            >files and could find nothing that described the process that you so
            >simply laid out below. There is extensive info on syntax and what
            >particular commands do, but very little to nothing on how to
            >implement these things, at least for a non-programmer type of person
            >to understand.

            Part of the problem is that there are two help files. And some things
            that one assumes should be in Clip Help is in the other help file. Of
            you open the "ordinary" Help ( Help menu | Help topics) and type
            "clipbar" in the search box on the index tab all will be revealed. :-)

            Lotta
          • loro
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 21, 2009
              Bob,

              Sorry, I missed this bit.

              >Each file is
              >from many hundreds of lines long to several thousand lines long. I
              >have an index at the top of the file and have named the cooresponding
              >sections with the same name as what is in the index so I can
              >highlight and <ctrl-f> to quickly find it.

              You definitely want to open a file named ReadMe.otl and read the
              section about Hyperlinks. The file is in Notetab's program directory.
              Actually, outline documents are probably well suited for your cheat
              sheets, so maybe you should look into how to use them also, but note
              that the hyperlink feature isn't limited to outlines. It works in
              ordinary text files too.

              One thing though. The document with hyperlinks in it needs to have
              been saved once, exist as a disk file, or the hyperlinks won't work.
              Then you can edit it and use the hyperlinks when the document is
              "unsaved", it's just that it must have a location on disk.

              Lotta