Re: [Clip] Grab stock quotes

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5, 2009
      Sheri & Hugo:

      I have read with great interest your posts regarding this problem. I have
      just spent over a week trying to program an app in Javascript & HTML to
      extract and format data from some very large (>3.5 MB) web pages. JS seemed
      a natural environment as I could just use the DOM and not have to parse the
      HTML code. However, I ran into cross-scripting security issues and on-load
      event handler problems which turned a (supposed to be) automatic process to
      semi-automatic.
      They also cost a LOT of time debugging the app.

      (Sheri, I thought your suggestion for writing HTAs might be the answer but
      they will only execute in Internet Explorer. That is a deal killer due to
      IE's security holes and its failure to support standard Javascript.)

      In the process of writing clips to post-process the Javascript outputs I
      have learned a great deal and acquired a huge respect for RegEx. So putting
      all three (curl/wget, cross tab editing and RegEx), together I think I can
      rewrite the entire app in NoteTab. Wish me luck!

      [Note: I need your powerful luck as the gremlins have already struck & I
      ran into a bug in ^!Append processing. See separate post.]

      And thank you very much for your posts. They are always informative.

      Namaste', Art

      For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.
      Arthur
      C. Clarke

    • silvermoonwoman2001
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2009
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

        > (Sheri, I thought your suggestion for writing HTAs might be the
        > answer but they will only execute in Internet Explorer. That is a
        > deal killer due to IE's security holes and its failure to support
        > standard Javascript.)

        Actually though HTAs will open in IE if you try, they are supposed to open with mshta.exe as local (not online) apps. Their main drawback is they work only on Windows.

      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2009
          Actually, windows is not a problem for me but Inernet Explorer is.
          The app I am writing needs access to the internet (to get the web
          pages to scrape) and approach I took required support of the HTML DOM.
          Only under pain of excruciating death would I use IE.

          Fortunately, as I recently posted, thanks to all the helpful posts
          these past few days, I have reversed my approach and will now
          do everything in NoteTab at ten times the speed and a fraction
          of the effort. Thank you RegEx!

          Although I will accomplish my task this time using only NoteTab,
          there is a huge need for an app engine that will make leverage
          Javascript, HTML, the DOMs, etc in creating platform independent
          apps. Accessing and mashing data from multiple domain is getting
          quite common and will be more so in the future. The cross domain
          scripting security problem needs to be solved.

          Thanks for all your help, Art