RegEx Resources

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4 11:57 PM
      Well it turns out I have more or less answered my own question regarding RegEx
      tutorials. I have found the official repository of PCRE (the RegEx engine
      used by
      NoteTab), and the NoteTab RegEx help file at Cambridge, UK. Also, I have
      located
      the "official(?)" online tutorial for Perl 5 v10 RegEx (current version) on
      the home of
      Perl. Since, Perl Compatible Regular Expressions (PCRE), was originally
      designed
      to be effectively identical to Perl RegEx (and still is for most intents
      and purposes),
      the Perl 5 tutorial works very well for NoteTabers. The Wikipedia article
      details the
      differences between PCRE and Perl RegEx (which are few and esoteric).

      The Perl 5 RegEx tutorials include a quick version and a fairly complete one:
      Quick: http://perldoc.perl.org/perlrequick.html
      Complete: http://perldoc.perl.org/perlretut.html
      Docs Home: http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html

      The Wikipedia PCRE article includes interesting background and
      semi-tutorial info
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCRE#Differences_from_Perl

      The PCRE home page (http://www.pcre.org/) has links to the FTP repository
      v7.8 Win Help:
      ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/Contrib/pcre-7.8.chm

      Note: The distribution ZIP file contents are mostly source and controls for
      building the PCRE executables but include a subdirectory (\html) that
      contains the specification files that were auto generated from the PCRE
      man pages. The *.html files are, in turn, used to compile a Windows CHM
      file. The pcrepattern section of the CHM file (created from the
      pcrepattern.html file), is, essentially, the NoteTab RegEx help file (minus
      the NoteTab intro and the Substring Replacements section). Remember these
      are primarily language and library execution module specifications, not
      help files.

      To complete the specification references, the Perl RegEx5 Lang Ref (v10) is
      located at:
      http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html

      I still would like some recommendations for a good book on RegEx. Hardcopy
      books work much better for reading in bed or for writing in margins than
      computer screens.<g>

      Enjoy.

      Namaste', Art

      Be who you is. 'Cause if you be who you ain't,
      then you ain't who you is. Anon

    • silvermoonwoman2001
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5 9:32 AM
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

        > Well it turns out I have more or less answered my own question
        > regarding RegEx tutorials.

        I learned alot from an earlier version of the regex-clinic linked. It is oriented to php which has pcre built into it.

        <http://gravitonic.com/c/dl.php?file=talks/php-quebec-2009/regex-clinic.pdf>

        > I still would like some recommendations for a good book on RegEx.
        > Hardcopy books work much better for reading in bed or for writing
        > in margins than computer screens.<g>

        I own and recommend Jeffrey Friedl's soft back book, "Mastering Regular Expressions (3rd Edition)".

        <http://regex.info/>

      • silvermoonwoman2001
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5 9:37 AM
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "silvermoonwoman2001" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

          > I own and recommend Jeffrey Friedl's soft back book, "Mastering Regular Expressions (3rd Edition)".
          >
          > <http://regex.info/>

          A useful review of the book can be found here:

          <http://edinburgh.pm.org/book-reviews/mastering-regular-expressions.html>

          Plus Amazon has plenty of feedback.

        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6 12:48 AM
            Hi Sheri,

            Thanks for the reference & links . I put a lot more weight on a personal
            recommendation
            from someone I respect than from unknown reviewers. That said, the review
            seemed
            well written, informed and encouraging. The fact that it is still going
            strong after ten years
            (3rd edition) and having been translated into 10 languages doesn't hurt
            either. <g>

            Namaste', Art