Version problems

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2009
      I've discovered that the clips I write using NTP 6.12 do not fully function in the Light and Standard version. I was
      able to reproduce the problem by installing the free version, then running my own clip library. Is this a known
      situation, or a bug? The problem is really minor, but it was my understanding that they used the same regex engine, and
      would run the clips identically.

      I wasn't sure which group to post this in, since it seems to be a clip issue but may be something else.
      Thanks!

    • silvermoonwoman2001
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2009
        Hmmn, reply I sent earlier has not appeared, so...

        Pro uses a different input control than Std/Light. Minor differences have come up in the past. E.g., as I recall, the result of ^$GetLine$ was slightly different. In that case, using ^!Select EOL followed by ^$GetSelection$ instead allowed clips to be compatible.

      • silvermoonwoman2001
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 2009
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:
          (Answering in clips group, don't know why posts are going to two group?)

          >> Note to clippers: By design, NoteTab Pro (but not NoteTab
          >> Standard or NoteTab Light) adjusts the selection for regex clip
          >> ^!Find and ^!Replace commands before acting on highlighted text
          >> if the pattern begins with a ^ and the existing selection does
          >> not begin at the start of a line.

          > Thanks, Art, I use the caret a lot. My clip library runs over
          > 10,000 lines, with comments, and I suspect it is too much of a
          > job to add this comment prefix to all the requisite lines. This
          > is really unfortunate, since my users use pro, standard and
          > light.

          That issue arises only when using caret in combiniation with "H" to operate only in highlight, and it is Pro that has the odd behavior! If that is indeed the problem, adding a comment prefix would not help, because that makes Pro behave normally; it doesn't make Light/Standard perform abnormally. In any event, you would need to more closely diagnose the problem before you could know what causes the difference.

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2009
            So, perhaps it is not the caret issue. The symptom of the problem is that two variable values are written into the
            document after the official end of the document (and sometimes, into other illegal areas). I was able to recreate the
            problem as soon as I installed the light version and ran my user's file. To me, that indicates some abnormal behavior on
            the light version. My user installed the standard version and reported the same problem. Oddly, no one ever reported
            this before, and I think my users only recently updated to the newest versions. I used the newest version of Light.

            I use GetSelection often, but I don't use ^$GetLine$ anywhere, so I don't have an explanation for this error at this
            point. All I do know is that it is the contents of two variables that is written where it shouldn't be. My variables are
            set based on a successful 'Find', and their contents are supposed to be written immediately after the found item. In
            Pro, that works as expected.

            I can provide the clip library and the text file, as well as instructions for recreating the error, if anyone wants to
            look at the result for themselves. Due to the size of the library, and the fact that this happens after running a great
            many different clips automatically, I don't expect anyone to determine exactly what is causing this problem. This would
            be in the interest of finding a bug to fix future versions, rather than a workaround for my users - for now, they can
            simply review the result and delete the 'extra' lines.
            John

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 6, 2009

              > I can provide the clip library and the text file, as well as
              > instructions for recreating the error, if anyone wants to look at
              > the result for themselves. Due to the size of the library, and
              > the fact that this happens after running a great many different
              > clips automatically, I don't expect anyone to determine exactly
              > what is causing this problem.

              Using debug logging, it may be easier to find than you expect. Post to your folder in Yahoo files if you want me to take a look.

              Another possibility is, someone not using the latest revision of Light or Standard. After 6.0 came out, Eric did a few slipstream updates. One of the issues corrected concerned the appearance of extra text at the end of document after doing replacements.

            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 6, 2009
                I've posted the files to my folder at the group site.

                All NT versions are freshly downloaded, 6.12. The error sounds like the email describes, but using the newest versions.
                John

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 6, 2009

                  > I've posted the files to my folder at the group site.
                  >
                  > All NT versions are freshly downloaded, 6.12. The error sounds like the email describes, but using the newest versions.
                  > John

                  A major mistake you made was inserting numerous linefeeds "\n" without carriage returns with your regex replacements! I guess Pro's input control is more tolerant of the error than Light. I changed every place you had \n into \r\n. After that, the results betwen Light and Pro are closer. There is still a possibly minor variation in the output from Light vs. Pro (an extra linebreak between nut tag and yield tag), hopefully not a problem for the destination application. Try it and let me know. Yields were missing entirely from Light's output before (except the one at the bottom of the file). I posted the revised library. My options for saving files trim end-of-line spaces -- some of the lines in your clip library ended with spaces. Hopefully not an issue.

                • John Shotsky
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 6, 2009
                    Ok, tested, and all is well with both Pro and Light. The extra LF is not a problem. I'm glad it is something that is
                    correctable, and of course, I learned something new, as usual. It's pretty amazing that this only showed up as an error
                    after a year of development of the clip library!

                    Thanks again,
                    John

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 7, 2009

                      > Ok, tested, and all is well with both Pro and Light. The extra LF
                      > is not a problem. I'm glad it is something that is correctable,
                      > and of course, I learned something new, as usual. It's pretty
                      > amazing that this only showed up as an error after a year of
                      > development of the clip library!

                      I posted another revision for you. You had another replacement in there involving only linefeeds (but as hex "\xa").

                      There is no bareword "Goto". I removed them all. The basic syntax is, e.g.,

                      ^!IfError Label4Yes Else Label4No

                      But the main thing that was still causing differences between the versions is illustrated by the following clip.

                      ^!Toolbar New Document
                      ^!InsertText
                      abc
                      def
                      ghi
                      ^!Jump Doc_Start
                      ^!Find ".+\R" RS
                      ^!Jump Line_End
                      ^!InsertText ^PYield

                      First it finds content of a line including the linebreak. Then it uses the command ^!Jump Line_End. Then it Inserts text.

                      In Pro, it inserts before the linebreak which was part of the find. In Light, it inserts after the linebreak that was part of the find.

                      You used that type of processing alot, particularly in your Yields clip. It would better to be finding exactly what you want (and you really didn't want the "\R") and jumping to the end of the selection. You can even \K at the end of the pattern, and you don't even need a ^!Jump. But rather than try to rewrite what you had, I fixed the potential problems by inserting the command ^!Jump Line_Start before each of your ^!Jump Line_End's. When nothing is selected, the Line_End is at the same place in the document under both Light and Pro, and speed didn't seem much affected.

                      ^!Toolbar New Document
                      ^!InsertText
                      abc
                      def
                      ghi
                      ^!Jump Doc_Start
                      ^!Find ".+\R" RS
                      ^!Jump Line_Start
                      ^!Jump Line_End
                      ^!InsertText ^PYield

                      So, especially if using ^$GetLine$, ^!Select Line, or Line_End, take care if you want your clips to be compatible.

                    • John Shotsky
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 7, 2009
                        Awesome information! Thanks!

                        The GoTo's were copied from another clip that I used for reference, then I copied it myself every place I needed it.
                        Heh, heh.

                        I'll have to spend some time looking at how the yield processing goes. The problem is that the word often shows up where
                        its content is to be ignored. The \R is what prevented that. But perhaps it is not a problem - I'll have to run several
                        of my reference files to see how that goes. I'll report back if a problem crops up.

                        Again, thanks for the help!
                        John