Re: [Clip] Grab stock quotes

  • ehofferino
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009

      > ehofferino wrote:
      > > Can I do this with a clip?
      >
      > Probably, though it is something I wouldn't know how to do without a lot
      > of trial. But another question:
      > You'll still need to go to the google page manually, copy the content,
      > run NoteTab, open a document, insert google's content, and only then can
      > you begin to run a clip.
      >
      > Wouldn't some Javascript or PHP code doing it all regularly without your
      > manual intervention serve your needs far better?
      >
      > Axel

      Perhaps. Alas I'm not a programmer and can't write Javascript nor PHP - despite plugging my way through original clips every now and again. I guess there's no easy way to use a clip to scrape the data from the website?
    • Hugo Paulissen
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
        > I guess there's no easy way to use a clip to scrape the data from the website?

        There is...

        I've done this with graburl before (not maintained), but found that curl is another tool that does the same (and likely even more)

        You can get it from http://curl.haxx.se/download.html%c2%a0(I've selected the generic win32 version). Put it in the directory of your choice and afterwards just try this...

        ^$GetOutput("C:\Documents and Settings\path\curl-7.19.5\curl www.notetab.com")$

        Hugo

      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
          Sorry, I should have added http:// to the URL

          ^$GetOutput("C:\Documents and Settings\path\curl-7.19. 5\curl http://www.notetab.com")$

          Other protocols are supported as well, see the docs...

          Hugo

        • c.brito78
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009

            > ehofferino wrote:
            > > Can I do this with a clip?
            >
            > Probably, though it is something I wouldn't know how to do without a lot
            > of trial. But another question:
            > You'll still need to go to the google page manually, copy the content,
            > run NoteTab, open a document, insert google's content, and only then can
            > you begin to run a clip.
            >
            > Wouldn't some Javascript or PHP code doing it all regularly without your
            > manual intervention serve your needs far better?
            >
            > Axel

            Dear Axel,

            You have two possibilities:

            1. Use ntp, with keyboard Tab, down, up, enter, Ctrl+c, keyboard Ctrl+V, etc. This is 100% possible, to go to the fields, fill the fields, etc. Naturally, you need to test.

            2. Use the program iOpus Internet Macros.

            Best regards,C Brito
          • silvermoonwoman2001
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ehofferino" <eyhoffmann@...> wrote:

              > I'm looking to grab the stock price data from Google Finance's home page:
              >
              > http://www.google.com/finance
              >
              > And insert it into the current document in the following format:
              >
              > Dow -0.4% to 9279. S&P -0.5% to 993. Nasdaq -0.5% to 1960.
              >
              > Ideally, I want to round off the percentages to the nearest 1/10 of a percent, so -0.36%=-0.4% and -0.33%=-0.3%.
              >
              > Can I do this with a clip?
              >
              > Thanks

              FWIW, For a long while I've been using an hta customized for my purposes to view a list quotes on demand. Its just the quotes, not the percents, and the source is Yahoo, not Google. I'm not using it to insert info into a NoteTab doc. The original is here:
              <http://computer-programming-tutorials.suite101.com/article.cfm/a_windows_hta_tutorial> HTA's can easily be launched using NoteTab clips.

            • silvermoonwoman2001
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "silvermoonwoman2001" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

                > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ehofferino" <eyhoffmann@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm looking to grab the stock price data from Google Finance's home page:
                > >
                > > http://www.google.com/finance
                > >
                > > And insert it into the current document in the following format:
                > >
                > > Dow -0.4% to 9279. S&P -0.5% to 993. Nasdaq -0.5% to 1960.
                > >
                > > Ideally, I want to round off the percentages to the nearest 1/10 of a percent, so -0.36%=-0.4% and -0.33%=-0.3%.
                > >
                > > Can I do this with a clip?
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > >

                > FWIW, For a long while I've been using an hta customized for my purposes to view a list quotes on demand. Its just the quotes, not the percents, and the source is Yahoo, not Google. I'm not using it to insert info into a NoteTab doc. The original is here:
                > <http://computer-programming-tutorials.suite101.com/article.cfm/a_windows_hta_tutorial> HTA's can easily be launched using NoteTab clips.

                Actually in addition to the quote the hta shows the change in value for each quote since the previous close. You could probably use the info to compute the percentages in the vbscript and displayed that instead of the change in value.

              • flo.gehrke
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ehofferino" <eyhoffmann@...> wrote:

                  > Ideally, I want to round off the percentages to the nearest 1/10 of a percent, so -0.36%=-0.4% and -0.33%=-0.3%.
                  >
                  > Can I do this with a clip?

                  Given data like this:

                  Dow 9,705.62 -34.94 (-0.36%)
                  S&P 500 999.68 +4.93 (0.55%)
                  Nasdaq 1,973.89 -6.82 (-0.34%)

                  The clip...

                  ^!Jump 1
                  ^!Find "\(-?\K\d+\.\d\d(?=%)" RS
                  ^!IfError End
                  ; Next long line
                  ^!Replace "^$GetSelection$" >> "^$Calc(ROUND(^$GetSelection$*100)/100;1)$" S
                  ^!Goto Skip_-3

                  would provide the following result:

                  Dow 9,705.62 -34.94 (-0.4%)
                  S&P 500 999.68 +4.93 (0.6%)
                  Nasdaq 1,973.89 -6.82 (-0.3%)

                  Regards,
                  Flo
                • silvermoonwoman2001
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ehofferino" <eyhoffmann@...> wrote:

                    > I'm looking to grab the stock price data from Google Finance's home page:
                    >
                    > http://www.google.com/finance
                    >
                    > And insert it into the current document in the following format:
                    >
                    > Dow -0.4% to 9279. S&P -0.5% to 993. Nasdaq -0.5% to 1960.
                    >
                    > Ideally, I want to round off the percentages to the nearest 1/10 of a percent, so -0.36%=-0.4% and -0.33%=-0.3%.
                    >
                    > Can I do this with a clip?
                    >
                    > Thanks

                    Gave it a shot, here's a clip that will insert the current index quotes exactly as you asked (except the download comes from Yahoo), into the current document at the current cursor position. You will need to install the program Wget from here:
                    <http://www.christopherlewis.com/WGet/WGetFiles.htm>
                    Make sure to change the path to wget in the clip as appropriate for your installation.

                    ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                    ^!Set %curdoc%=^$GetDocIndex$
                    ^!Set %wget%=^$GetShort("C:\Program Files\wgetb\wget.exe")$
                    ^!Set %url%="http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv"
                    ^!Set %url%="^%url%?s=INDU,^GSPC,^IXIC&f=np2l1&e=.csv"
                    ^!set %s%=^$GetOutput(^%wget% -O - "^%url%")$
                    ^!Set %s%=^$StrCapitalize("^%s")$
                    ^!Toolbar New Document
                    ^!InsertText ^%s%
                    ^!Replace "\x22(Dow|S&P|Nasdaq)[^\x22]+?\x22" >> "$1" RAWS
                    ^!Replace ",\x22([^\x22%]+?%)\x22," >> " $1 to " RAWS
                    ^!Replace "\R" >> "\x20" RASW
                    ^!Jump 1
                    ^!Find "\d+\.\d\d(?=%)" RS
                    ^!IfError Finish
                    ^!InsertText ^$Calc(ROUND(^$GetSelection$*100)/100;1)$
                    ^!Goto Skip_-3
                    :Finish
                    ^!Set %s%=^$StrTrim(^$GetText$)$
                    ^!Close Discard
                    ^!Setdocindex ^%curdoc%
                    ^!InsertText ^%s%^P
                    ^!Clearvariable %s%
                    ;end of clip
                  • Hugo Paulissen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
                      > Gave it a shot, here's a clip that will insert the current index quotes
                      > exactly as you asked (except the download comes from Yahoo),

                      Hi Sheri,

                      Great! Here is the same clip in "curl-version". I'm not familiar with neither of these "grabbers".

                      Hugo

                      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                      ^!Set %curdoc%=^$GetDocIndex$
                      ^!Set %curl%=^$GetShort("C:\Program Files\curl-7.19.5\curl.exe")$
                      ^!Set %url%="http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv"
                      ^!Set %url%="^%url%?s=INDU,^GSPC,^IXIC&f=np2l1&e=.csv"
                      ^!set %s%=^$GetOutput("^%curl% ^%url%")$

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
                        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Hugo Paulissen <hugopaulissen@...> wrote:

                        > > Gave it a shot, here's a clip that will insert the current index quotes
                        > > exactly as you asked (except the download comes from Yahoo),
                        >
                        > Hi Sheri,
                        >
                        > Great! Here is the same clip in "curl-version". I'm not familiar with neither of these "grabbers".
                        >
                        > Hugo
                        >
                        > ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                        > ^!Set %curdoc%=^$GetDocIndex$
                        > ^!Set %curl%=^$GetShort("C:\Program Files\curl-7.19.5\curl.exe")$
                        > ^!Set %url%="http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv"
                        > ^!Set %url%="^%url%?s=INDU,^GSPC,^IXIC&f=np2l1&e=.csv"
                        > ^!set %s%=^$GetOutput("^%curl% ^%url%")$
                        > ^!Set %s%=^$StrCapitalize("^%s")$
                        > ^!Toolbar New Document
                        > ^!InsertText ^%s%
                        > ^!Replace "\x22(Dow|S&P|Nasdaq)[^\x22]+?\x22" >> "$1" RAWS
                        > ^!Replace ",\x22([^\x22%]+?%)\x22," >> " $1 to " RAWS
                        > ^!Replace "\R" >> "\x20" RASW
                        > ^!Jump 1
                        > ^!Find "\d+\.\d\d(?=%)" RS
                        > ^!IfError Finish
                        > ^!InsertText ^$Calc(ROUND(^$GetSelection$*100)/100;1)$
                        > ^!Goto Skip_-3
                        > :Finish
                        > ^!Set %s%=^$StrTrim(^$GetText$)$
                        > ^!Close Discard
                        > ^!Setdocindex ^%curdoc%
                        > ^!InsertText ^%s%^P
                        > ^!Clearvariable %s%
                        > ;end of clip

                        Wow - Sheri and Hugo - this is exactly what I'm looking for! I can't test it properly now because Yahoo Finance apparently resets S&P and Nasdaq to 0.00% until the open at some point in the evening, but the clip runs as expected. Will test more thoroughly once the market opens.

                        Until then, I'm going to study each line to figure out what you've done here, and will ask if there's anything I can't decipher. This is SO instructive! Thank you so much!!
                      • Art Kocsis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 5, 2009
                          Sheri & Hugo:

                          I have read with great interest your posts regarding this problem. I have
                          just spent over a week trying to program an app in Javascript & HTML to
                          extract and format data from some very large (>3.5 MB) web pages. JS seemed
                          a natural environment as I could just use the DOM and not have to parse the
                          HTML code. However, I ran into cross-scripting security issues and on-load
                          event handler problems which turned a (supposed to be) automatic process to
                          semi-automatic.
                          They also cost a LOT of time debugging the app.

                          (Sheri, I thought your suggestion for writing HTAs might be the answer but
                          they will only execute in Internet Explorer. That is a deal killer due to
                          IE's security holes and its failure to support standard Javascript.)

                          In the process of writing clips to post-process the Javascript outputs I
                          have learned a great deal and acquired a huge respect for RegEx. So putting
                          all three (curl/wget, cross tab editing and RegEx), together I think I can
                          rewrite the entire app in NoteTab. Wish me luck!

                          [Note: I need your powerful luck as the gremlins have already struck & I
                          ran into a bug in ^!Append processing. See separate post.]

                          And thank you very much for your posts. They are always informative.

                          Namaste', Art

                          For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.
                          Arthur
                          C. Clarke

                        • silvermoonwoman2001
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 5, 2009
                            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

                            > (Sheri, I thought your suggestion for writing HTAs might be the
                            > answer but they will only execute in Internet Explorer. That is a
                            > deal killer due to IE's security holes and its failure to support
                            > standard Javascript.)

                            Actually though HTAs will open in IE if you try, they are supposed to open with mshta.exe as local (not online) apps. Their main drawback is they work only on Windows.

                          • Art Kocsis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 5, 2009
                              Actually, windows is not a problem for me but Inernet Explorer is.
                              The app I am writing needs access to the internet (to get the web
                              pages to scrape) and approach I took required support of the HTML DOM.
                              Only under pain of excruciating death would I use IE.

                              Fortunately, as I recently posted, thanks to all the helpful posts
                              these past few days, I have reversed my approach and will now
                              do everything in NoteTab at ten times the speed and a fraction
                              of the effort. Thank you RegEx!

                              Although I will accomplish my task this time using only NoteTab,
                              there is a huge need for an app engine that will make leverage
                              Javascript, HTML, the DOMs, etc in creating platform independent
                              apps. Accessing and mashing data from multiple domain is getting
                              quite common and will be more so in the future. The cross domain
                              scripting security problem needs to be solved.

                              Thanks for all your help, Art