Re: [Clip] Re: Close then reopen

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
      ebbtidalflats wrote:
      > Despite these and other NoteTab anoyances, I found it
      > well worth upgrading.

      I haven't yet come round to updating, but in my 5.8 I have never ever
      had a single problem with it noticing when a file was changed - works
      perfectly every time. But I may not be doing the same things that you
      are and I never use USB as a working drive.

      Axel
    • loro
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
        >If the file is not modified, it works ok. If it is, it can
        >yield odd results - like a file called efo~33.otl
        >containing the first topic of the file being closed
        >which had no topic list in spite of the .otl extension.
        >.
        >It fails because it transforms the filename (whatever it
        >is) into "efo~NN" - which, naturally, is not found.

        What happens if you use ^## instead of ^**? I don't follow exactly
        what you want to do, but if it has to do with the file being altered
        by other programs, maybe a '^!Menu Edit/Reload' would be a solution?

        Lotta
      • jonas_ramus
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Sezor <sezor@...> wrote:

          > It fails because it transforms the filename (whatever it
          > is) into "efo~NN" - which, naturally, is not found.

          Correct. If you change the :Open section of your clip to...

          ^!Wait
          ^!Info ^%path%^%name%

          you will see that NT is searching a temporary efo-file now which is not to be found in the directory you have stored in your variable since it is saved in \Temp.

          Documents that have not been saved are stored in a temporary file when the token ^** is used. The temporary file is then substituted for the document name.

          Use ^## if you do not want NT to create a temporary file.

          Furthermore: ^## completely returns the file name and path of the active file. So there's no need to use that token with ^$GetPath$ and ^$GetFileName$.

          Probably, the core functions of your clip can be reduced to something like...

          ^!Set %File%=^##
          ^!Close Discard
          ^!Delay 10
          ^!Open ^%File%

          (Tested with NT Pro 6.12)

          Regards,
          Flo
        • Sezor
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
            Thanks for all the suggestions.
            I have to admit that I was writing a clip for an action
            which turns out to be available in the menus .. ;-(

            As I use keyboard shortcuts for almost everything,
            I had never spotted the Reload item. I even doubt if
            I've ever used the Edit menu.
            Sezor