Re: Close then reopen

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
      In no particular order,

      1. If you're trying to overcome NoteTab's failure to ecognize
      if a file has been modified by an external application,
      NoteTab functions are unlikely to overcome this problem.

      One way to reliably detect if a file has changed against
      the open document is to check their CRC or MD5 signatures.
      Check the file, check the doc, compare the signatures
      against each other.

      fix that is to use the ARCHIVE bit (GetDosOutput).
      However, that will require you to keep track of the archive
      bit while editing yourself.

      2. Did later versions of NTP fix certain problems?
      Weeellllll, tracking, if a file has been modified,
      has a whole new twist -- at least in MY experience.
      Fookes holdings has not been able to help so far.

      a. First, reporting if an external app has changed a
      file is a problem with USB drives, which have a
      second order delay in writing (greater delay
      than on hard disks). So if you're using USB drives
      for data storage, Windows may be the problem.

      b. NTP 6.12 FREQUENTLY reports a library as modified
      externally, "do I want to reload?" when I KNOW it
      has not been modified. The problem lies in the
      many possible locations for library files
      Program Files/NoteTab/libraries
      ...\user\Application Data\NoteTab\libraries
      and wherever you designate on commandline

      I'm not sure if 6.12 tracks external changes properly,
      it seems

      c. Displaying the topic list of an outline file
      next to the content of a different document is
      still with us in ver 6.12

      This is ofcourse a "second window" problem.

      Despite these and other NoteTab anoyances, I found it well worth upgrading.

      Cheers,

      Eb

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
        ebbtidalflats wrote:
        > Despite these and other NoteTab anoyances, I found it
        > well worth upgrading.

        I haven't yet come round to updating, but in my 5.8 I have never ever
        had a single problem with it noticing when a file was changed - works
        perfectly every time. But I may not be doing the same things that you
        are and I never use USB as a working drive.

        Axel
      • loro
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
          >If the file is not modified, it works ok. If it is, it can
          >yield odd results - like a file called efo~33.otl
          >containing the first topic of the file being closed
          >which had no topic list in spite of the .otl extension.
          >.
          >It fails because it transforms the filename (whatever it
          >is) into "efo~NN" - which, naturally, is not found.

          What happens if you use ^## instead of ^**? I don't follow exactly
          what you want to do, but if it has to do with the file being altered
          by other programs, maybe a '^!Menu Edit/Reload' would be a solution?

          Lotta
        • jonas_ramus
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Sezor <sezor@...> wrote:

            > It fails because it transforms the filename (whatever it
            > is) into "efo~NN" - which, naturally, is not found.

            Correct. If you change the :Open section of your clip to...

            ^!Wait
            ^!Info ^%path%^%name%

            you will see that NT is searching a temporary efo-file now which is not to be found in the directory you have stored in your variable since it is saved in \Temp.

            Documents that have not been saved are stored in a temporary file when the token ^** is used. The temporary file is then substituted for the document name.

            Use ^## if you do not want NT to create a temporary file.

            Furthermore: ^## completely returns the file name and path of the active file. So there's no need to use that token with ^$GetPath$ and ^$GetFileName$.

            Probably, the core functions of your clip can be reduced to something like...

            ^!Set %File%=^##
            ^!Close Discard
            ^!Delay 10
            ^!Open ^%File%

            (Tested with NT Pro 6.12)

            Regards,
            Flo
          • Sezor
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
              Thanks for all the suggestions.
              I have to admit that I was writing a clip for an action
              which turns out to be available in the menus .. ;-(

              As I use keyboard shortcuts for almost everything,
              I had never spotted the Reload item. I even doubt if
              I've ever used the Edit menu.
              Sezor