Re: [Clip] Re: Quick RegEx Question

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2009
      for example ...

      > Use (?s) in a pattern prior to where you want dot to start matching all characters, including CR and LF. You can turn that behavior off later in the same pattern (if desired) with (?-s).
      >
      > Regards,
      > Sheri
    • silvermoonwoman2001
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2009

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2009
          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
          > for example ...

          ^!Replace "(?s)<textarea.*?textarea>" >> "" ARSW

          Note: I have omitted the superfluous brackets inside, as you don't want
          to catch anything for further use. Instead I have added tie importent
          modifier "?" meaning "as little as possible". The default is "as much as
          possible". Example:

          nonsense</textarea>

          Without the "?" the expression will match everthing between the very
          first and the very last textarea including all the important stuff in
          between. With "?" it stops as soon as it can while fulfilling the
          condition, deleting just the nonsense and leaving the important stuff
          alone.

          Axel
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2009
            Hello,

            Thanks for the help. I thought there should be a simple fix and you guys
            proved it.
            I especially want to thank Shari & Axel for including explanations and Axel
            for
            reminding me about greedy expressions. That would have driven me up the wall
            as the files are full of multiple instances with lots of "important stuff"
            between
            instances! And it sure works a lot better when I inserted the 2nd "?" and
            put it
            outside of the parenthesis! <g>

            I don't use RegEx very often (probably because I don't know it well), so I
            do not
            remember the syntax or operators between uses. NoteTab's built in RegEx help
            file is pretty useless to me and only leads to frustration. Even armed with
            the
            knowledge of (?s), NTB's help file didn't. There was only an entry for
            dotall with
            no explanation of usage or how to turn it off.

            What do you recommend for a resource, either online or downloadable, both to
            look up stuff like this as well as to learn the "language"?

            Thanks again for the assistance.

            Namaste', Art

            BTW Don, either you are psychic with slow email and responded a day before I
            asked or your system clock is a day off. <g> Pick up an atomic clock updater
            from NIST [http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm%5d and forget about ever having
            to set
            your clock again.