Re: [Clip] Re: Quick RegEx Question

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2009
      for example ...

      > Use (?s) in a pattern prior to where you want dot to start matching all characters, including CR and LF. You can turn that behavior off later in the same pattern (if desired) with (?-s).
      >
      > Regards,
      > Sheri
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2009
        Hello,

        How do I specify this expression to include embedded CRLFs?
        The default behavior for the period is to NOT include CRLF.
        Can I change the default?

        ^!Replace "<textarea(.*)textarea>" >> "" ARSW

        Thanks for the help

        Namaste', Art

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2009
          Here is one way. There are probably more efficient ways. If there are multiple Cr's possible, you may need a loop or a
          better expression.
          ^!Replace "<textarea(.*\R?.*)textarea>" >> "" ARTSW

          John

          How do I specify this expression to include embedded CRLFs?
          The default behavior for the period is to NOT include CRLF.
          Can I change the default?

          ^!Replace "<textarea(.*)textarea>" >> "" ARSW

          Thanks for the help

          Namaste', Art

        • silvermoonwoman2001
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2009

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 24, 2009
              "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
              > for example ...

              ^!Replace "(?s)<textarea.*?textarea>" >> "" ARSW

              Note: I have omitted the superfluous brackets inside, as you don't want
              to catch anything for further use. Instead I have added tie importent
              modifier "?" meaning "as little as possible". The default is "as much as
              possible". Example:

              nonsense</textarea>

              Without the "?" the expression will match everthing between the very
              first and the very last textarea including all the important stuff in
              between. With "?" it stops as soon as it can while fulfilling the
              condition, deleting just the nonsense and leaving the important stuff
              alone.

              Axel
            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 24, 2009
                Hello,

                Thanks for the help. I thought there should be a simple fix and you guys
                proved it.
                I especially want to thank Shari & Axel for including explanations and Axel
                for
                reminding me about greedy expressions. That would have driven me up the wall
                as the files are full of multiple instances with lots of "important stuff"
                between
                instances! And it sure works a lot better when I inserted the 2nd "?" and
                put it
                outside of the parenthesis! <g>

                I don't use RegEx very often (probably because I don't know it well), so I
                do not
                remember the syntax or operators between uses. NoteTab's built in RegEx help
                file is pretty useless to me and only leads to frustration. Even armed with
                the
                knowledge of (?s), NTB's help file didn't. There was only an entry for
                dotall with
                no explanation of usage or how to turn it off.

                What do you recommend for a resource, either online or downloadable, both to
                look up stuff like this as well as to learn the "language"?

                Thanks again for the assistance.

                Namaste', Art

                BTW Don, either you are psychic with slow email and responded a day before I
                asked or your system clock is a day off. <g> Pick up an atomic clock updater
                from NIST [http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm%5d and forget about ever having
                to set
                your clock again.