Sizing of windows, such as Info

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2009
      Is it possible to (pre)set the size and font of the Info window as a default? If not, is there an alternative way, using
      a wizard or some other mechanism to bring up some explanatory text that the user just dismisses when they've read it? In
      this case, they do have to select the clip that contains the text, in a 'How to' format. I use the Info window
      currently, but it always comes up centered, and smaller than the amount of text I want to display.
      Thanks!

    • loro
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2009
        John Shotsky wrote:
        >Is it possible to (pre)set the size and font of the Info window as a default?

        I don't think so.

        >If not, is there an alternative way, using
        >a wizard or some other mechanism to bring up some explanatory text
        >that the user just dismisses when they've read it?

        Is it static information? In that case you could try HTA windows,
        explained here (and onwards):
        them all the time. If the text in the info window is generated on the
        fly, maybe this would get too involved.

        Lotta
      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2009
          John,

          Theoretically one could change the font size, but not window size, for info windows, but I believe that also affects other windows, like the clipbook. I'm pretty sure I did this in NTP version 4.something,
          but have not been experimenting with ver 5 or 6, nor do I remember the variable I changed in the INI file.

          This stuff is not documented. As I said, presetting migh affect other windows, and doing so on the fly involves the ProgIniLoad and ProgIniSave commands.

          In theory, if you know the variable name where an option is saved, you can change the variable, save it to the ini file, THEN use ProgIniSave to save it to the disk file, THEN ProgIniLoad to read it back into the current session. AAANNDD I may have this all wrong 8-S .

          But like I said, this is not documented for users, and may not work, AND may not continue to work, since you'd be doing undocumented stuff.

          Several things you can do as alternatives:

          You can use a wizard with (T=M;H=n) or (T=W;H=n) settings,
          where 'n' is the number of lines of the window (and the width
          is set by SetWizardWidth)

          Use the WizardTitle and WizardLabel to enhance the otherwise
          crude display.

          Other methods are pop-ups from ^!Skip, ^!Continue, etc.
          I think these all display several lines, if you embed ^%nl%
          in the text.

          Finally, there is the possibility to switch to a special document containing your message, or receiving your message pastes.

          Cheers,

          Eb