[Clip] Re: Unicode conversion (Previously on Basic list)

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009

      > This gave the same result. Screenshot below. No [.] present.

      If you can't see the [...] button, you may need to remove or comment out the two commands:

      ^!SetWizardWidth 200

      That makes them double wide, so a long file name can be fully seen. Perhaps your screen resolution doesn't support it.

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
        Yep, updating did the trick. I was on 6.12, but there was one newer one. I updated and now it works fine.
        Thanks!
        John

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2009
          I found a new problem with these files - there are non-printing spaces in it. I see printing spaces and CR's, but these
          are apparently a high-order space which simply looks like a space but isn't an ASCII space. If I copy and search for it,
          it finds them, but the search window shows only a blank, not the code that it represents. Is there any way to determine
          the code for a given character, so I could build a clip to replace it with an ASCII version? If not, I can make the
          replace work with a copied version, but that's not very obvious when reviewing it later.
          Thanks,
          John

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2009

            > I found a new problem with these files - there are non-printing
            > spaces in it. I see printing spaces and CR's, but these are
            > apparently a high-order space which simply looks like a space but
            > isn't an ASCII space. If I copy and search for it, it finds them,
            > but the search window shows only a blank, not the code that it
            > represents. Is there any way to determine the code for a given
            > character, so I could build a clip to replace it with an ASCII
            > version? If not, I can make the replace work with a copied
            > version, but that's not very obvious when reviewing it later.

            You probably meant non-breaking spaces which are hex A0. Unless they show as question marks when opened in the normal way, they are within the 256 ansi-supported characters.

            You can see what it is (in hex) by highlighting it and running this clip:

            ^!Info \x^$IntToHex(^$CharToDec(^$StrCopyLeft("^$GetSelection$";1)$)$)$

            You can replace (in the current document) all non-breaking spaces with normal spaces using:

            ^!Replace "\xA0" >> "\x20" RAWS0

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2009

              > I found a new problem with these files - there are non-printing spaces in it. I see printing spaces and CR's, but these
              > are apparently a high-order space which simply looks like a space but isn't an ASCII space. If I copy and search for it,
              > it finds them, but the search window shows only a blank, not the code that it represents. Is there any way to determine
              > the code for a given character, so I could build a clip to replace it with an ASCII version? If not, I can make the
              > replace work with a copied version, but that's not very obvious when reviewing it later.

              I posted an updated version of the clip here:

              It now replaces non-breaking spaces.

              Also if the source document cannot be processed using regex in UTF8 mode (which probably means the source document was not unicode or utf8), it opens the document as ANSI and replaces single character fractions (half, quarter and three quarters) and non-breaking spaces. Those characters are all available in the Western Ansi code page.

            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2009
                Sheri,

                Thanks, it all works as expected. Some of your code was way above my understanding, but I'll study it and learn some more from you, as usual!