[Clip] Re: Unicode conversion (Previously on Basic list)

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009

      > This didn't work for me. It asks for a file name, but no browse is available. I've fixed the broken lines, so that's not
      > an issueÂ…

      so you can see it without Yahoo broken lines.

      First, you browse to the unicode text file. You have the click the [...] button on a clip wizard to browse.

      Then you can accept or change the name of the Ansi file that will be saved. If you accept the one proposed, the name is formed by prepending "Ansi_" to the original file name, and is put into your Notetab data directory. The second clip wizard also lets you browse (if you click the [...] button), but you shouldn't choose the original file name and location.

      Once that is done, the clip proceeds. The output looks fine to me.

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
        This gave the same result. Screenshot below. No [.] present.

        John

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009

          > This gave the same result. Screenshot below. No [.] present.
          >

          > John

          The group supports text only, you would have to post your screen shot in the files area.

          BTW, the clip is likely compatible only with version 6.12, the latest slipstream release of NoteTab. The Help-About screen says 6.12, and the file version shown in Explorer for NotePro.exe properties says 6.1.2.4. The file date is 6/16/09.

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009

            > This gave the same result. Screenshot below. No [.] present.

            If you can't see the [...] button, you may need to remove or comment out the two commands:

            ^!SetWizardWidth 200

            That makes them double wide, so a long file name can be fully seen. Perhaps your screen resolution doesn't support it.

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
              Yep, updating did the trick. I was on 6.12, but there was one newer one. I updated and now it works fine.
              Thanks!
              John

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2009
                I found a new problem with these files - there are non-printing spaces in it. I see printing spaces and CR's, but these
                are apparently a high-order space which simply looks like a space but isn't an ASCII space. If I copy and search for it,
                it finds them, but the search window shows only a blank, not the code that it represents. Is there any way to determine
                the code for a given character, so I could build a clip to replace it with an ASCII version? If not, I can make the
                replace work with a copied version, but that's not very obvious when reviewing it later.
                Thanks,
                John

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2009

                  > I found a new problem with these files - there are non-printing
                  > spaces in it. I see printing spaces and CR's, but these are
                  > apparently a high-order space which simply looks like a space but
                  > isn't an ASCII space. If I copy and search for it, it finds them,
                  > but the search window shows only a blank, not the code that it
                  > represents. Is there any way to determine the code for a given
                  > character, so I could build a clip to replace it with an ASCII
                  > version? If not, I can make the replace work with a copied
                  > version, but that's not very obvious when reviewing it later.

                  You probably meant non-breaking spaces which are hex A0. Unless they show as question marks when opened in the normal way, they are within the 256 ansi-supported characters.

                  You can see what it is (in hex) by highlighting it and running this clip:

                  ^!Info \x^$IntToHex(^$CharToDec(^$StrCopyLeft("^$GetSelection$";1)$)$)$

                  You can replace (in the current document) all non-breaking spaces with normal spaces using:

                  ^!Replace "\xA0" >> "\x20" RAWS0

                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 8, 2009

                    > I found a new problem with these files - there are non-printing spaces in it. I see printing spaces and CR's, but these
                    > are apparently a high-order space which simply looks like a space but isn't an ASCII space. If I copy and search for it,
                    > it finds them, but the search window shows only a blank, not the code that it represents. Is there any way to determine
                    > the code for a given character, so I could build a clip to replace it with an ASCII version? If not, I can make the
                    > replace work with a copied version, but that's not very obvious when reviewing it later.

                    I posted an updated version of the clip here:

                    It now replaces non-breaking spaces.

                    Also if the source document cannot be processed using regex in UTF8 mode (which probably means the source document was not unicode or utf8), it opens the document as ANSI and replaces single character fractions (half, quarter and three quarters) and non-breaking spaces. Those characters are all available in the Western Ansi code page.

                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 8, 2009
                      Sheri,

                      Thanks, it all works as expected. Some of your code was way above my understanding, but I'll study it and learn some more from you, as usual!