RE: [Clip] "Simple" Tab Replacement Problem

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
      You can use \t to replace tabs.
      John

      From: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Daugherty
      Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2009 10:42
      To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Clip] "Simple" Tab Replacement Problem

      The following command
      ^!Replace "^%TAB%" >> "," WAS
      was applied to a tab-delimited file
      with no effect.
      It was also applies (mistakenly) as ^!Replace "^%TAB%" >> "," RWAS with
      no effect.
      Anyone know what I.m doing wrong?
      The following one-line text-file was also created in note tab and tried.

      Now is the time for all good persons to go
      the party.

      Each set of spaces between words is a Tab.
      Is ^%TAB% not usable in a ^!Replace command because there is one form of
      the command that uses the TAB character as a delimiter between the
      Find-text and Replace-text?

    • Don Daugherty
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
        John Shotsky wrote:
        > You can use \t to replace tabs.
        > John
        Don't you all love "dumb" questions!
        After eating lunch, I thought of several answers to my own. In addition
        to your solution I could have used any of these:
        ^!Replace "^t" >> "," WAS
        ^!Replace "^T" >> "," WAS
        ^!Replace "[[:blank:]]" >> "," RWAS
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
          REGex it's \t
          Not Regex it's ^T

          I find things like the special variables only work in select places.

          Don Daugherty wrote:
          > John Shotsky wrote:
          >> You can use \t to replace tabs.
          >> John
          > Don't you all love "dumb" questions!
          > After eating lunch, I thought of several answers to my own. In addition
          > to your solution I could have used any of these:
          > ^!Replace "^t" >> "," WAS
          > ^!Replace "^T" >> "," WAS
          > ^!Replace "[[:blank:]]" >> "," RWAS

        • Flo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2009

            > REGex it's \t
            > Not Regex it's ^T
            >
            > I find things like the special variables only work in select places.

            Don,

            Want some more? In Hex it's \x09. Since PCRE 7.2, you can also use \ci.

            I understood, however, that your question was not how to replace ^%TAB% with another sequence but WHY it doesn't work in a search string -- isn't it? This question is still unanswered.

            In my view, all preset variables matching a character above ANSI 32 can be used in a search string. Not in the search menu but in a clip.

            Flo