"Simple" Tab Replacement Problem

  • Don Daugherty
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
      The following command
      ^!Replace "^%TAB%" >> "," WAS
      was applied to a tab-delimited file
      with no effect.
      It was also applies (mistakenly) as ^!Replace "^%TAB%" >> "," RWAS with
      no effect.
      Anyone know what I.m doing wrong?
      The following one-line text-file was also created in note tab and tried.

      Now is the time for all good persons to go
      the party.

      Each set of spaces between words is a Tab.
      Is ^%TAB% not usable in a ^!Replace command because there is one form of
      the command that uses the TAB character as a delimiter between the
      Find-text and Replace-text?
    • John Shotsky

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > You can use \t to replace tabs.
          > John
          Don't you all love "dumb" questions!
          After eating lunch, I thought of several answers to my own. In addition
          to your solution I could have used any of these:
          ^!Replace "^t" >> "," WAS
          ^!Replace "^T" >> "," WAS
          ^!Replace "[[:blank:]]" >> "," RWAS
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009
            REGex it's \t
            Not Regex it's ^T

            I find things like the special variables only work in select places.

            Don Daugherty wrote:
            > John Shotsky wrote:
            >> You can use \t to replace tabs.
            >> John
            > Don't you all love "dumb" questions!
            > After eating lunch, I thought of several answers to my own. In addition
            > to your solution I could have used any of these:
            > ^!Replace "^t" >> "," WAS
            > ^!Replace "^T" >> "," WAS
            > ^!Replace "[[:blank:]]" >> "," RWAS

          • Flo
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2009

              > REGex it's \t
              > Not Regex it's ^T
              >
              > I find things like the special variables only work in select places.

              Don,

              Want some more? In Hex it's \x09. Since PCRE 7.2, you can also use \ci.

              I understood, however, that your question was not how to replace ^%TAB% with another sequence but WHY it doesn't work in a search string -- isn't it? This question is still unanswered.

              In my view, all preset variables matching a character above ANSI 32 can be used in a search string. Not in the search menu but in a clip.

              Flo