[Clip] Re: sorting an array

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
      Strange. I expected ^$StrSort$ would respond to a delimiter set by ^!SetListDelimiter but it seems it is strictly a line sorting function. Same thing in 4.95, so not the result of changes since then.

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
        You can use an clip to rearrange the elements of an array, like was done
        to make the surnames first clip I am working on (and still can't get to
        work after a year of trying. I can't grasp the seemingly simple
        concepts...really need help) can the elements of the array be
        rearranged, sorted then rearranged into the desired order?

        Jeff

        Sheri wrote:

        > Strange. I expected ^$StrSort$ would respond to a delimiter set by
        > ^!SetListDelimiter but it seems it is strictly a line sorting
        > function. Same thing in 4.95, so not the result of changes since then.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Sheri

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
        Flockmaster,

        http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

        http://bsmeadow.blogspot.com/ Blacksheep's Meadow

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/7764576@N05/ Photostream
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
          Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
          What I didn't want to do
          was to sort my entire document because that isn't the object I am
          working on.

          can you cut the piece to a new document, process it there then cut the
          finished work back to Doc Prev? That approach worked for my site
          indexing clip.

          --

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          Flockmaster,

          http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

          http://bsmeadow.blogspot.com/ Blacksheep's Meadow

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/7764576@N05/ Photostream
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
            Hi Jeff,

            I certainly could, but then I have to keep track of what document I am
            coming from and then get it back. What we have concluded is that I
            don't need to do that. I can work directly on a variable (with ^P as
            separators) or on the clipboard also and that way I need not leave my
            document at all.

            I was doing exactly what you are suggesting which is to sort them and
            then put them back into the array variable.

            I understand it much better (I think anyway) than I did yesterday. We
            can probably try to help you with your clip if you post up the relevant
            parts (or all) and we can probably help you along.

            Don

            Jeff wrote:

            > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
            > What I didn't want to do
            > was to sort my entire document because that isn't the object I am
            > working on.
            >
            > can you cut the piece to a new document, process it there then cut the
            > finished work back to Doc Prev? That approach worked for my site
            > indexing clip.

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
              OK here it is again.

              The original concept is to highlight a name ("Jeffery G. Scism") in a
              document, have the Clip change it to "scism-jeffery-g.htm" on the
              clipboard, so I can autosave the document using that as the file name. I
              don't want to change the name ON te source document, but only the name
              it is saved as. I want it to error out if the Doc already exists. I
              don't want to overwrite existing files. If a file already exists I need
              to merge the new entry, probably manually.

              I had clips that did the name swap in my old computer, but they ere
              lost in a HD Crash.

              I searched the Clips list archive and found some of the previous
              discussion but with what I am starting with I am getting "syntax
              errors" probably due to the improved Reg-ex now in use. It was
              originally written for NoteTab Std 4.95.

              Here is the broken clip I have been working on- it goes NOWHERE. (I
              just can't grasp the concepts apparently).

              __CLIP__

              :PARSE_NAME

              ^!Set %Folder%=^%Drop%
              ^!Toolbar Copy
              ^!SetListDelimiter " "
              ^!SetArray %full_name%=^$GetSelection$
              ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%full_name^%full_name0%%"
              ^!Set %name_counter%=1

              :CreateName
              ^!If ^%name_counter% = ^%full_name0% NameDone
              ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%indexed_name%-^%full_name^%name_counter%%"
              ^!Inc %name_counter%
              ^!Goto CreateName

              :NameDone
              ;strip periods
              ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrReplace(".";"";"^%indexed_name%";0;0)

              ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrLower("^%indexed_name%")$
              ;(Syntax error this line)
              ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$FileName$.htm

              __/CLIP__/
              /

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                Okay, first let's start a different thread if you don't mind.

                Let's start by simpling this down and then building it back up, is that
                reasonable?

                How about this:
                1. start with the file already open that we want to work on
                2. highlight the name
                3. save the file if doesn't exist already (are we renaming a file?)
                4. give an alert if file already exists

                Is that a good starting point?

                Also what possible parameters are there for the name?
                First I. Last
                First Last
                First Last-LastMore
                First I. Last, Suffix(Jr/Sr/II/III/etc.)

                For now I'll work on the first of those, but thought should be given to
                other variations.

                Don

                Jeff wrote:
                > OK here it is again.
                >
                > The original concept is to highlight a name ("Jeffery G. Scism") in a
                > document, have the Clip change it to "scism-jeffery-g.htm" on the
                > clipboard, so I can autosave the document using that as the file name. I
                > don't want to change the name ON te source document, but only the name
                > it is saved as. I want it to error out if the Doc already exists. I
                > don't want to overwrite existing files. If a file already exists I need
                > to merge the new entry, probably manually.
                >
                > I had clips that did the name swap in my old computer, but they ere
                > lost in a HD Crash.
                >
                > I searched the Clips list archive and found some of the previous
                > discussion but with what I am starting with I am getting "syntax
                > errors" probably due to the improved Reg-ex now in use. It was
                > originally written for NoteTab Std 4.95.
                >
                > Here is the broken clip I have been working on- it goes NOWHERE. (I
                > just can't grasp the concepts apparently).
                >

                > __CLIP__
                >
                > :PARSE_NAME
                >
                > ^!Set %Folder%=^%Drop%
                > ^!Toolbar Copy
                > ^!SetListDelimiter " "
                > ^!SetArray %full_name%=^$GetSelection$
                > ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%full_name^%full_name0%%"
                > ^!Set %name_counter%=1
                >
                > :CreateName
                > ^!If ^%name_counter% = ^%full_name0% NameDone
                > ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%indexed_name%-^%full_name^%name_counter%%"
                > ^!Inc %name_counter%
                > ^!Goto CreateName
                >
                > :NameDone
                > ;strip periods
                > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrReplace(".";"";"^%indexed_name%";0;0)
                >
                > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrLower("^%indexed_name%")$
                > ;(Syntax error this line)
                > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$FileName$.htm
                >
                > __/CLIP__/
                > /
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Generally the files are new files not previously saved.

                  Yes, at some cases there is a suffix to the name, like Sr., Jr. I, II,
                  III, etc.

                  Your starting point is exactly right.

                  (my transcribers are much faster than I am in coding the pages, this
                  would save me enormous amounts of time. I really appreciate it.)

                  Jeff

                  Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                  > Okay, first let's start a different thread if you don't mind.
                  >
                  > Let's start by simpling this down and then building it back up, is that
                  > reasonable?
                  >
                  > How about this:
                  > 1. start with the file already open that we want to work on
                  > 2. highlight the name
                  > 3. save the file if doesn't exist already (are we renaming a file?)
                  > 4. give an alert if file already exists
                  >
                  > Is that a good starting point?
                  >

                  > Also what possible parameters are there for the name?
                  > First I. Last
                  > First Last
                  > First Last-LastMore
                  > First I. Last, Suffix(Jr/Sr/II/III/etc.)
                  >
                  > For now I'll work on the first of those, but thought should be given to
                  > other variations.
                  >
                  > Don
                  >
                  > Jeff wrote:
                  > > OK here it is again.
                  > >
                  > > The original concept is to highlight a name ("Jeffery G. Scism") in a
                  > > document, have the Clip change it to "scism-jeffery-g.htm" on the
                  > > clipboard, so I can autosave the document using that as the file
                  > name. I
                  > > don't want to change the name ON te source document, but only the name
                  > > it is saved as. I want it to error out if the Doc already exists. I
                  > > don't want to overwrite existing files. If a file already exists I need
                  > > to merge the new entry, probably manually.
                  > >
                  > > I had clips that did the name swap in my old computer, but they ere
                  > > lost in a HD Crash.
                  > >
                  > > I searched the Clips list archive and found some of the previous
                  > > discussion but with what I am starting with I am getting "syntax
                  > > errors" probably due to the improved Reg-ex now in use. It was
                  > > originally written for NoteTab Std 4.95.
                  > >
                  > > Here is the broken clip I have been working on- it goes NOWHERE. (I
                  > > just can't grasp the concepts apparently).
                  > >

                  > > __CLIP__
                  > >
                  > > :PARSE_NAME
                  > >
                  > > ^!Set %Folder%=^%Drop%
                  > > ^!Toolbar Copy
                  > > ^!SetListDelimiter " "
                  > > ^!SetArray %full_name%=^$GetSelection$
                  > > ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%full_name^%full_name0%%"
                  > > ^!Set %name_counter%=1
                  > >
                  > > :CreateName
                  > > ^!If ^%name_counter% = ^%full_name0% NameDone
                  > > ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%indexed_name%-^%full_name^%name_counter%%"
                  > > ^!Inc %name_counter%
                  > > ^!Goto CreateName
                  > >
                  > > :NameDone
                  > > ;strip periods
                  > > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrReplace(".";"";"^%indexed_name%";0;0)
                  > >
                  > > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrLower("^%indexed_name%")$
                  > > ;(Syntax error this line)
                  > > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$FileName$.htm
                  > >
                  > > __/CLIP__/
                  > > /

                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                  Flockmaster,

                  http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

                  http://bsmeadow.blogspot.com/ Blacksheep's Meadow

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/7764576@N05/ Photostream
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009

                    > Okay, first let's start a different thread if you don't mind.
                    >
                    > Let's start by simpling this down and then building it back up, is that
                    > reasonable?
                    >
                    > How about this:
                    > 1. start with the file already open that we want to work on
                    > 2. highlight the name
                    > 3. save the file if doesn't exist already (are we renaming a file?)
                    > 4. give an alert if file already exists

                    By the way save directory will be the one set by NoteTab in the Options box.

                    Thanks.
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                      Well my regex needs work ... it botches Jeff Schism, but works correctly
                      on Jeff G. Schism ...
                      I am trying to cover both situations -- and we should add in the
                      suffixes too I suspect.

                      So file names will be:
                      Jeff Schism = schism-jeff--.html
                      Jeff G. Schism = schism-jeff-g-.html
                      Jeff G. Schism Jr. = schism-jeff-g-jr.html

                      or not?

                      ^!Continue [C]highlight name and hit control + c

                      ;set clipboard to empty
                      ^!SetClipboard

                      :LoopName
                      ;sit her and wait for something to be copied to clipboard
                      ^!Delay 5
                      ;if nothing on clipboard wait 5 more
                      ^!If "^$GetClipboardSize$" = "0" LoopName

                      :CheckName
                      ;make sure name is First I. Last or First Last
                      ^!Find "([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]*)\.{0,1} {0,1}([A-Za-z]+)" TIHRS
                      ^!IfError CheckNameError ELSE ProcessNametoFileName

                      :CheckNameError
                      ^!Info [C]We expect name to be First I. Last -- bad formatting for
                      name^PThis name is -^$GetClipboard$-^Pplease fix and retry
                      ^!Goto End

                      :ProcessNametoFileName
                      ^!SetArray %Array%=^$GetReSubStrings$
                      ^!Info [C]^%Array%
                      ^!Set %Name%="^$StrLower("^%Array3%-^%Array1%-^%Array2%")$"
                      ^!Info [C]Proposed file name:^%Name%.html

                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                        yeah well lets get it doing the right things with the name first ...
                        progress ...
                        ^!Continue [C]highlight name and hit control + c

                        ;set clipboard to empty
                        ^!SetClipboard

                        :LoopName
                        ;sit her and wait for something to be copied to clipboard
                        ^!Delay 5
                        ;if nothing on clipboard wait 5 more
                        ^!If "^$GetClipboardSize$" = "0" LoopName

                        :CheckName
                        ;make sure name is First I. Last or First Last
                        ^!Find "([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z])\. ([A-Za-z]+)" TIHRS
                        ^!IfError Next ELSE ProcessNametoFileName
                        ^!Find "([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)" TIHRS
                        ^!IfError CheckNameError ELSE ProcessNametoFileName

                        :CheckNameError
                        ^!Info [C]We expect name to be First I. Last or First Last^Pbad
                        formatting for name^PThis name is -^$GetClipboard$-^Pplease fix and retry
                        ^!Goto End

                        :ProcessNametoFileName
                        ^!SetArray %NameArray%=^$GetReSubStrings$
                        ^!Info [C]^%NameArray%
                        ^!If "^%NameArray0%" = "2" NoMiddle ELSE Middle
                        :Middle
                        ^!Set %Name%="^$StrLower("^%NameArray3%-^%NameArray1%-^%NameArray2%")$"
                        ^!Goto NameOutput
                        :NoMiddle
                        ^!Set %Name%="^$StrLower("^%NameArray2%-^%NameArray1%-")$"
                        :NameOutput

                        Jeff Scism wrote:
                        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                        >> Okay, first let's start a different thread if you don't mind.
                        >>
                        >> Let's start by simpling this down and then building it back up, is that
                        >> reasonable?
                        >>
                        >> How about this:
                        >> 1. start with the file already open that we want to work on
                        >> 2. highlight the name
                        >> 3. save the file if doesn't exist already (are we renaming a file?)
                        >> 4. give an alert if file already exists
                        >>

                        > By the way save directory will be the one set by NoteTab in the Options box.
                        >
                        > Thanks.

                      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                          Your assistance was of much help Sheri and Alec!

                          and the magic line that in fact sorts from a semi-colon delimited (that
                          is the default) array back into the same semi-colon delimited array ....
                          all one line ...

                          ^!SetArray
                          %fielddynamics%=^$StrReplace("^P";";";"^$StrSort("^$StrReplace(";";"^P";"^%fielddynamics%";0;0)$";No;Yes;No)$";No;No)$

                          so I had this in fielddynamics when I started:
                          0031:2:33:Place;0005:26:31:Name;0034:22:56:School;0001:3:4:Grade;0056:8:64:Time

                          And this when I'm done:
                          0001:3:4:Grade;0005:26:31:Name;0031:2:33:Place;0034:22:56:School;0056:8:64:Time

                          So it is sorted 1, 5, 31, 34, 56 as it should be.