[Clip] Re: sorting an array

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
      Strange. I expected ^$StrSort$ would respond to a delimiter set by ^!SetListDelimiter but it seems it is strictly a line sorting function. Same thing in 4.95, so not the result of changes since then.

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
        Yes but you emphasized that I can just do it on a variable (with
        replacement of the default delimiter -- a semi-colon -- for the ^P as
        string sort works on lines of text). While I said it ... I guess it
        didn't totally sink in :-)

        Help is only kind of helpful on strsort. Much like Math, some examples
        would be helpful -- as the example in clip help uses the clipboard and
        refers to sorting like the menu sort (which was why I was thinking of a
        work document or clipboard when neither is necessary). It honestly
        didn't occur to me to try it on a variable. What I didn't want to do
        was to sort my entire document because that isn't the object I am
        working on.

        I already have zero padding handled actually as my array is built zero
        padded by my prior code, so that is no worry at this time.

        This is code we developed a while back:
        ^$StrCopyRight("0000^%PlaceStart%";4)$

        Here is my actual array build -- a little more to it. Each array
        element has four sub-elements in actuality.

        :BuildArray
        ;superlonglinefollows
        ^!SetArray
        %fielddynamics%=^$StrCopyRight("0000^%PlaceStart%";4)$:^%PlaceCount%:^$Calc(^%PlaceStart%+^%PlaceCount%)$:Place;^$StrCopyRight("0000^%NameStart%";4)$:^%NameCount%:^$Calc(^%NameStart%+^%NameCount%)$:Name;^$StrCopyRight("0000^%SchoolStart%";4)$:^%SchoolCount%:^$Calc(^%SchoolStart%+^%SchoolCount%)$:School;^$StrCopyRight("0000^%GradeStart%";4)$:^%GradeCount%:^$Calc(^%GradeStart%+^%GradeCount%)$:Grade;^$StrCopyRight("0000^%TimeStart%";4)$:^%TimeCount%:^$Calc(^%TimeStart%+^%TimeCount%)$:Time

        I am now on to the next step which is building a regex statement out of
        this ...

        More on that in a different email perhaps :-)

        thing (even if not crossing like ours) re-emphasizes and clarifies and
        yours did that for me.

        I think I still need to sort it out of an array and then put it back in
        the array because an array at zero had the number of elements. However
        if you use ^%array% I think you get the array sans the zero element ...

        So I think the following may work.

        ^!SetArray
        %new%=^$StrSort("^$StrReplace(";";"^P";"^%new%";0;0)$";No;Yes;No)$

        Alec Burgess wrote:
        > Don ... our messages crossed each other. You are saying much the same as
        > I did below "-)
        >
        > Don - HtmlFixIt.com (don@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-07-01
        > at 00:30):
        > ^!SetClipboard=^$StrSort("^$StrReplace(";";"^P";"12;03;15;99;24;05;54;50";0;0)$";No;Yes;No)$
        >> ^!SetArray
        > ew%=^$StrReplace("^P";";";"^$GetClipboard$";0;0)$
        >> ^!Info [C]^
        > ew%
        >> 03;05;12;15;24;50;54;99
        >>
        >> If I were willing to use ^P as delimiters think I can get it down to
        >> one
        >> line.
        >>
        >> ^!SetArray
        >>
        > ew%=^$StrSort("^$StrReplace(";";"^P";"12;03;15;99;24;05;54;50";0;0)$";No;Yes;No)$

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
          You can use an clip to rearrange the elements of an array, like was done
          to make the surnames first clip I am working on (and still can't get to
          work after a year of trying. I can't grasp the seemingly simple
          concepts...really need help) can the elements of the array be
          rearranged, sorted then rearranged into the desired order?

          Jeff

          Sheri wrote:

          > Strange. I expected ^$StrSort$ would respond to a delimiter set by
          > ^!SetListDelimiter but it seems it is strictly a line sorting
          > function. Same thing in 4.95, so not the result of changes since then.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          Flockmaster,

          http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

          http://bsmeadow.blogspot.com/ Blacksheep's Meadow

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/7764576@N05/ Photostream
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
            Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
            What I didn't want to do
            was to sort my entire document because that isn't the object I am
            working on.

            can you cut the piece to a new document, process it there then cut the
            finished work back to Doc Prev? That approach worked for my site
            indexing clip.

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
              Hi Jeff,

              I certainly could, but then I have to keep track of what document I am
              coming from and then get it back. What we have concluded is that I
              don't need to do that. I can work directly on a variable (with ^P as
              separators) or on the clipboard also and that way I need not leave my
              document at all.

              I was doing exactly what you are suggesting which is to sort them and
              then put them back into the array variable.

              I understand it much better (I think anyway) than I did yesterday. We
              can probably try to help you with your clip if you post up the relevant
              parts (or all) and we can probably help you along.

              Don

              Jeff wrote:

              > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
              > What I didn't want to do
              > was to sort my entire document because that isn't the object I am
              > working on.
              >
              > can you cut the piece to a new document, process it there then cut the
              > finished work back to Doc Prev? That approach worked for my site
              > indexing clip.

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                OK here it is again.

                The original concept is to highlight a name ("Jeffery G. Scism") in a
                document, have the Clip change it to "scism-jeffery-g.htm" on the
                clipboard, so I can autosave the document using that as the file name. I
                don't want to change the name ON te source document, but only the name
                it is saved as. I want it to error out if the Doc already exists. I
                don't want to overwrite existing files. If a file already exists I need
                to merge the new entry, probably manually.

                I had clips that did the name swap in my old computer, but they ere
                lost in a HD Crash.

                I searched the Clips list archive and found some of the previous
                discussion but with what I am starting with I am getting "syntax
                errors" probably due to the improved Reg-ex now in use. It was
                originally written for NoteTab Std 4.95.

                Here is the broken clip I have been working on- it goes NOWHERE. (I
                just can't grasp the concepts apparently).

                __CLIP__

                :PARSE_NAME

                ^!Set %Folder%=^%Drop%
                ^!Toolbar Copy
                ^!SetListDelimiter " "
                ^!SetArray %full_name%=^$GetSelection$
                ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%full_name^%full_name0%%"
                ^!Set %name_counter%=1

                :CreateName
                ^!If ^%name_counter% = ^%full_name0% NameDone
                ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%indexed_name%-^%full_name^%name_counter%%"
                ^!Inc %name_counter%
                ^!Goto CreateName

                :NameDone
                ;strip periods
                ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrReplace(".";"";"^%indexed_name%";0;0)

                ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrLower("^%indexed_name%")$
                ;(Syntax error this line)
                ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$FileName$.htm

                __/CLIP__/
                /

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Okay, first let's start a different thread if you don't mind.

                  Let's start by simpling this down and then building it back up, is that
                  reasonable?

                  How about this:
                  1. start with the file already open that we want to work on
                  2. highlight the name
                  3. save the file if doesn't exist already (are we renaming a file?)
                  4. give an alert if file already exists

                  Is that a good starting point?

                  Also what possible parameters are there for the name?
                  First I. Last
                  First Last
                  First Last-LastMore
                  First I. Last, Suffix(Jr/Sr/II/III/etc.)

                  For now I'll work on the first of those, but thought should be given to
                  other variations.

                  Don

                  Jeff wrote:
                  > OK here it is again.
                  >
                  > The original concept is to highlight a name ("Jeffery G. Scism") in a
                  > document, have the Clip change it to "scism-jeffery-g.htm" on the
                  > clipboard, so I can autosave the document using that as the file name. I
                  > don't want to change the name ON te source document, but only the name
                  > it is saved as. I want it to error out if the Doc already exists. I
                  > don't want to overwrite existing files. If a file already exists I need
                  > to merge the new entry, probably manually.
                  >
                  > I had clips that did the name swap in my old computer, but they ere
                  > lost in a HD Crash.
                  >
                  > I searched the Clips list archive and found some of the previous
                  > discussion but with what I am starting with I am getting "syntax
                  > errors" probably due to the improved Reg-ex now in use. It was
                  > originally written for NoteTab Std 4.95.
                  >
                  > Here is the broken clip I have been working on- it goes NOWHERE. (I
                  > just can't grasp the concepts apparently).
                  >

                  > __CLIP__
                  >
                  > :PARSE_NAME
                  >
                  > ^!Set %Folder%=^%Drop%
                  > ^!Toolbar Copy
                  > ^!SetListDelimiter " "
                  > ^!SetArray %full_name%=^$GetSelection$
                  > ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%full_name^%full_name0%%"
                  > ^!Set %name_counter%=1
                  >
                  > :CreateName
                  > ^!If ^%name_counter% = ^%full_name0% NameDone
                  > ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%indexed_name%-^%full_name^%name_counter%%"
                  > ^!Inc %name_counter%
                  > ^!Goto CreateName
                  >
                  > :NameDone
                  > ;strip periods
                  > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrReplace(".";"";"^%indexed_name%";0;0)
                  >
                  > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrLower("^%indexed_name%")$
                  > ;(Syntax error this line)
                  > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$FileName$.htm
                  >
                  > __/CLIP__/
                  > /
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                    Generally the files are new files not previously saved.

                    Yes, at some cases there is a suffix to the name, like Sr., Jr. I, II,
                    III, etc.

                    Your starting point is exactly right.

                    (my transcribers are much faster than I am in coding the pages, this
                    would save me enormous amounts of time. I really appreciate it.)

                    Jeff

                    Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                    > Okay, first let's start a different thread if you don't mind.
                    >
                    > Let's start by simpling this down and then building it back up, is that
                    > reasonable?
                    >
                    > How about this:
                    > 1. start with the file already open that we want to work on
                    > 2. highlight the name
                    > 3. save the file if doesn't exist already (are we renaming a file?)
                    > 4. give an alert if file already exists
                    >
                    > Is that a good starting point?
                    >

                    > Also what possible parameters are there for the name?
                    > First I. Last
                    > First Last
                    > First Last-LastMore
                    > First I. Last, Suffix(Jr/Sr/II/III/etc.)
                    >
                    > For now I'll work on the first of those, but thought should be given to
                    > other variations.
                    >
                    > Don
                    >
                    > Jeff wrote:
                    > > OK here it is again.
                    > >
                    > > The original concept is to highlight a name ("Jeffery G. Scism") in a
                    > > document, have the Clip change it to "scism-jeffery-g.htm" on the
                    > > clipboard, so I can autosave the document using that as the file
                    > name. I
                    > > don't want to change the name ON te source document, but only the name
                    > > it is saved as. I want it to error out if the Doc already exists. I
                    > > don't want to overwrite existing files. If a file already exists I need
                    > > to merge the new entry, probably manually.
                    > >
                    > > I had clips that did the name swap in my old computer, but they ere
                    > > lost in a HD Crash.
                    > >
                    > > I searched the Clips list archive and found some of the previous
                    > > discussion but with what I am starting with I am getting "syntax
                    > > errors" probably due to the improved Reg-ex now in use. It was
                    > > originally written for NoteTab Std 4.95.
                    > >
                    > > Here is the broken clip I have been working on- it goes NOWHERE. (I
                    > > just can't grasp the concepts apparently).
                    > >

                    > > __CLIP__
                    > >
                    > > :PARSE_NAME
                    > >
                    > > ^!Set %Folder%=^%Drop%
                    > > ^!Toolbar Copy
                    > > ^!SetListDelimiter " "
                    > > ^!SetArray %full_name%=^$GetSelection$
                    > > ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%full_name^%full_name0%%"
                    > > ^!Set %name_counter%=1
                    > >
                    > > :CreateName
                    > > ^!If ^%name_counter% = ^%full_name0% NameDone
                    > > ^!Set %indexed_name%="^%indexed_name%-^%full_name^%name_counter%%"
                    > > ^!Inc %name_counter%
                    > > ^!Goto CreateName
                    > >
                    > > :NameDone
                    > > ;strip periods
                    > > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrReplace(".";"";"^%indexed_name%";0;0)
                    > >
                    > > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$StrLower("^%indexed_name%")$
                    > > ;(Syntax error this line)
                    > > ^!Set %indexed_name%=^$FileName$.htm
                    > >
                    > > __/CLIP__/
                    > > /

                    Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                    Flockmaster,

                    http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/

                    http://bsmeadow.blogspot.com/ Blacksheep's Meadow

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7764576@N05/ Photostream
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009

                      > Okay, first let's start a different thread if you don't mind.
                      >
                      > Let's start by simpling this down and then building it back up, is that
                      > reasonable?
                      >
                      > How about this:
                      > 1. start with the file already open that we want to work on
                      > 2. highlight the name
                      > 3. save the file if doesn't exist already (are we renaming a file?)
                      > 4. give an alert if file already exists

                      By the way save directory will be the one set by NoteTab in the Options box.

                      Thanks.
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Well my regex needs work ... it botches Jeff Schism, but works correctly
                        on Jeff G. Schism ...
                        I am trying to cover both situations -- and we should add in the
                        suffixes too I suspect.

                        So file names will be:
                        Jeff Schism = schism-jeff--.html
                        Jeff G. Schism = schism-jeff-g-.html
                        Jeff G. Schism Jr. = schism-jeff-g-jr.html

                        or not?

                        ^!Continue [C]highlight name and hit control + c

                        ;set clipboard to empty
                        ^!SetClipboard

                        :LoopName
                        ;sit her and wait for something to be copied to clipboard
                        ^!Delay 5
                        ;if nothing on clipboard wait 5 more
                        ^!If "^$GetClipboardSize$" = "0" LoopName

                        :CheckName
                        ;make sure name is First I. Last or First Last
                        ^!Find "([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]*)\.{0,1} {0,1}([A-Za-z]+)" TIHRS
                        ^!IfError CheckNameError ELSE ProcessNametoFileName

                        :CheckNameError
                        ^!Info [C]We expect name to be First I. Last -- bad formatting for
                        name^PThis name is -^$GetClipboard$-^Pplease fix and retry
                        ^!Goto End

                        :ProcessNametoFileName
                        ^!SetArray %Array%=^$GetReSubStrings$
                        ^!Info [C]^%Array%
                        ^!Set %Name%="^$StrLower("^%Array3%-^%Array1%-^%Array2%")$"
                        ^!Info [C]Proposed file name:^%Name%.html

                      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                          yeah well lets get it doing the right things with the name first ...
                          progress ...
                          ^!Continue [C]highlight name and hit control + c

                          ;set clipboard to empty
                          ^!SetClipboard

                          :LoopName
                          ;sit her and wait for something to be copied to clipboard
                          ^!Delay 5
                          ;if nothing on clipboard wait 5 more
                          ^!If "^$GetClipboardSize$" = "0" LoopName

                          :CheckName
                          ;make sure name is First I. Last or First Last
                          ^!Find "([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z])\. ([A-Za-z]+)" TIHRS
                          ^!IfError Next ELSE ProcessNametoFileName
                          ^!Find "([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)" TIHRS
                          ^!IfError CheckNameError ELSE ProcessNametoFileName

                          :CheckNameError
                          ^!Info [C]We expect name to be First I. Last or First Last^Pbad
                          formatting for name^PThis name is -^$GetClipboard$-^Pplease fix and retry
                          ^!Goto End

                          :ProcessNametoFileName
                          ^!SetArray %NameArray%=^$GetReSubStrings$
                          ^!Info [C]^%NameArray%
                          ^!If "^%NameArray0%" = "2" NoMiddle ELSE Middle
                          :Middle
                          ^!Set %Name%="^$StrLower("^%NameArray3%-^%NameArray1%-^%NameArray2%")$"
                          ^!Goto NameOutput
                          :NoMiddle
                          ^!Set %Name%="^$StrLower("^%NameArray2%-^%NameArray1%-")$"
                          :NameOutput

                          Jeff Scism wrote:
                          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                          >> Okay, first let's start a different thread if you don't mind.
                          >>
                          >> Let's start by simpling this down and then building it back up, is that
                          >> reasonable?
                          >>
                          >> How about this:
                          >> 1. start with the file already open that we want to work on
                          >> 2. highlight the name
                          >> 3. save the file if doesn't exist already (are we renaming a file?)
                          >> 4. give an alert if file already exists
                          >>

                          > By the way save directory will be the one set by NoteTab in the Options box.
                          >
                          > Thanks.

                        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 1, 2009
                            Your assistance was of much help Sheri and Alec!

                            and the magic line that in fact sorts from a semi-colon delimited (that
                            is the default) array back into the same semi-colon delimited array ....
                            all one line ...

                            ^!SetArray
                            %fielddynamics%=^$StrReplace("^P";";";"^$StrSort("^$StrReplace(";";"^P";"^%fielddynamics%";0;0)$";No;Yes;No)$";No;No)$

                            so I had this in fielddynamics when I started:
                            0031:2:33:Place;0005:26:31:Name;0034:22:56:School;0001:3:4:Grade;0056:8:64:Time

                            And this when I'm done:
                            0001:3:4:Grade;0005:26:31:Name;0031:2:33:Place;0034:22:56:School;0056:8:64:Time

                            So it is sorted 1, 5, 31, 34, 56 as it should be.