Re: [NTB] Re: Text file not reading into 6.12

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2009
      Joe: (cc: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com)
      Are you comfortable using clips?

      If so ... turns out following procedure allows you to view contents of
      file in Notetab w/o having to use external programs (as a workaround
      until Eric comes out with a fix :-) )
      Add this clip to some library :

      GetDOSOutput
      ; Alec Burgess and Sheri Pierce
      ^!if empty "^%theDosCommand%" Next Else Skip
      ^!Set %theDosCommand%="dir "C:\""
      ^!set %theDosCommand%=^?{Dos command=^%theDosCommand%}
      ^!InsertText ^%theDosCommand% 2>&1^p
      ^$GetDosOutput("^%theDosCommand%" 2>&1)$
      ;end of clip

      Once added either run it from the clip panel (or more simply drag it to
      a clipbar if using Notetab Pro or Standard rather than light)

      After opening the file (which will still open as Korean). Right-click on
      the tab containing the file and select [Copy name], open a new (empty)
      buffer (ie. NoName01.txt by default)

      Click on the button you added for the above click. Replace the contents
      it shows (which will initially be >>dir "C:\"<< by >>type << then paste
      the name copied above. (If the folder and name contain any spaces you
      have to surround the name by quotes.

      so it now reads (say): type D:\Temp\_tmp_JHROSEattach.txt and click [OK]

      After the first time you run it (during a particular session) it will
      suggest the last file you've looked at ... or just edit the line:
      ^!Set %theDosCommand%="dir "C:\"" to read
      ^!Set %theDosCommand%="type "<full_path_here_with_quotes_w/o_angle
      _brackets>""

      If this works for you and you'd like help to simplify the procedure (eg.
      so you just need to click the clipbar button and have the contents of
      the file you've just read in replaced by the "real" contents let us
      know. Further discussion along these lines s/b on the clips list.

      if you just want a finished product and don't want to bother joining
      clips list reply to the main Notetab list)

      You said: >> Can anyone
      > > recommend a free utility that reads raw files so I can see what is
      > > underlying the text?

      PSPad (just google) is a freeware editor which opens the file correctly
      and also
      has a HEX mode if you want to look at it that way.

      Eric Fookes (egroups@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-06-15 at
      17:10):