NoteTab 6.1 sample files in Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, and more

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      For those of you who would like to test the new file-handling
      capabilities of NoteTab 6.1, please download the following file:

      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/sample_files.zip

      It contains plain text and HTML files based on a variety of character
      sets (Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, etc.) Their purpose is
      to demonstrate how NoteTab 6 can handle text based on different Windows
      code pages.

      If you have a version of NoteTab that is older than 6.1, please consider
      updating your copy to fully benefit from the new capabilities in
      handling these sample files. You can download the latest update through
      NoteTab's "Check for Updates" feature, which is available from the Help
      menu. If you do not see the update link in the News and Updates window,
      make sure you click on the "Get headlines" button at the top-left of the
      dialog box to refresh the list.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
        Eric Fookes wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > For those of you who would like to test the new file-handling
        > capabilities of NoteTab 6.1, please download the following file:
        >
        > http://www.notetab.com/ftp/sample_files.zip
        > <http://www.notetab.com/ftp/sample_files.zip>
        >
        > It contains plain text and HTML files based on a variety of character
        > sets (Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, etc.) Their purpose is
        > to demonstrate how NoteTab 6 can handle text based on different Windows
        > code pages.

        Hi Eric,

        Could you gives us an indication of what you want the members of the NTB
        boards to test?
        The Greek and Hebrew sample pages are displayed correctly, no problem
        there.
        However, using NTB features on the text reveal several problems. But
        then, maybe you do not expect these to be tested at all (yet).

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
          Gerard Huijing wrote:
          > Eric Fookes wrote:
          >

          >> Hi everyone,
          >>
          >> For those of you who would like to test the new file-handling
          >> capabilities of NoteTab 6.1, please download the following file:
          >>
          >> http://www.notetab.com/ftp/sample_files.zip
          >> <http://www.notetab.com/ftp/sample_files.zip>
          >>
          >> It contains plain text and HTML files based on a variety of character
          >> sets (Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, etc.) Their purpose is
          >> to demonstrate how NoteTab 6 can handle text based on different Windows
          >> code pages.
          >>

          > Hi Eric,
          >
          > Could you gives us an indication of what you want the members of the NTB
          > boards to test?
          > The Greek and Hebrew sample pages are displayed correctly, no problem
          > there.
          > However, using NTB features on the text reveal several problems. But
          > then, maybe you do not expect these to be tested at all (yet).
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Gerard

          Hi Gerald,

          I have played with these texts in NoteTab too. What did you discover?

          I found that for some languages you need to have optional Windows
          language support enabled. See the Language tab in Control Panel -
          Regional and Language Options. For example, Hebrew requires the optional
          support for right-to-left languages. Chinese, etc., require Asian
          language support. You can also enable alternate keyboards or input
          method editors for various languages.

          In general, editing right-to-left and Asian language text works better
          in NoteTab Standard and Light than in NoteTab Pro. But that is mentioned
          on the "Known Issues" page in the help file.

        • Gerard Huijing
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 10, 2009
            Sheri wrote:

            > Hi Gerald,
            >
            > I have played with these texts in NoteTab too. What did you discover?
            >
            > I found that for some languages you need to have optional Windows
            > language support enabled. See the Language tab in Control Panel -
            > Regional and Language Options. For example, Hebrew requires the optional
            > support for right-to-left languages. Chinese, etc., require Asian
            > language support. You can also enable alternate keyboards or input
            > method editors for various languages.
            >
            > In general, editing right-to-left and Asian language text works better
            > in NoteTab Standard and Light than in NoteTab Pro. But that is mentioned
            > on the "Known Issues" page in the help file.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Sheri

            Thanks for the reminder regarding extra language settings in Windows.

            On my PC they are as follows (under WinXPPro SP3, NoteTab Pro 6.1):

            Regional Settings & Languages
            tab Languages -->
            Text Services and input languages --> Details
            Second keyboard installed for Hebrew (first keyboard is English (US))
            Supplemental Languages Support: enabled and installed
            Install files for East Asian languages: not installed

            I have these settings for the Word add-on Antioch for polytonic Greek
            and Hebrew (including vowel signs). Or to be more precise, for the
            Hebrew part: Greek will work without these extras.

            What I did with the sample Greek file provided by Eric Fookes was e.g.:

            select Greek word and capitalize (Ctrl + U).

            Result: Final sigma (the 'squiggle' at e.g. the end of the last word in
            the first Greek sentence - 'sas') becomes box character when capitalized.
            When that text box is copied to another file, this box becomes 'Ò' (no
            idea what that special character will look like in my email message).

            And: When changing Greek lower case --> capitals, then
            accented lower case characters remain lower case.

            And: NTB Pasteboard displays different characters (accented Latin, so
            extended Latin, I suppose) after copy.

            Then I realized that this may not be the intention of "seeing how NTB
            handles other code pages" at all. Hence my question to the NTB message
            board.

            FYI: Eric posted an answer to my question on the NTB HTML list.

            Gerard
            --
            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            2312 ZD Leiden
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 10, 2009
              Hi Gerald,

              I was able to duplicate what you did with the last word of the first Greek sentence. I also enabled Greek Language and Greek Polytonic keyboard on my Windows language bar. I was then able to type Greek characters into NoteTab. But I wasn't able to figure out how to enter one of those "final sigma"s. Greek may be another iffy language, at least wrt some characters. When I googled for how to enter final sigma on the Windows Greek keyboard, it seemed to indicate I would need additional software. FWIW, in Notetab I can properly copy and paste strings of characters within the document, and text case is properly altered for at least some characters when I use the text case menu items or shortcuts. The Pasteboard issue has something to do with the properties of the pasteboard document. If I save the Greek txt file to a new name, open both Greek files as documents, designate one of them as a pasteboard, and then copy some text from the other document to the clipboard, it gets appended to the pasteboard and has the appropriate appearance.

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

              > Sheri wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Gerald,
              > >
              > > I have played with these texts in NoteTab too. What did you discover?
              > >
              > > I found that for some languages you need to have optional Windows
              > > language support enabled. See the Language tab in Control Panel -
              > > Regional and Language Options. For example, Hebrew requires the optional
              > > support for right-to-left languages. Chinese, etc., require Asian
              > > language support. You can also enable alternate keyboards or input
              > > method editors for various languages.
              > >
              > > In general, editing right-to-left and Asian language text works better
              > > in NoteTab Standard and Light than in NoteTab Pro. But that is mentioned
              > > on the "Known Issues" page in the help file.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Sheri
              > >

              > Thanks for the reminder regarding extra language settings in Windows.
              >
              > On my PC they are as follows (under WinXPPro SP3, NoteTab Pro 6.1):
              >
              > Regional Settings & Languages
              > tab Languages -->
              > Text Services and input languages --> Details
              > Second keyboard installed for Hebrew (first keyboard is English (US))
              > Supplemental Languages Support: enabled and installed
              > Install files for East Asian languages: not installed
              >
              > I have these settings for the Word add-on Antioch for polytonic Greek
              > and Hebrew (including vowel signs). Or to be more precise, for the
              > Hebrew part: Greek will work without these extras.
              >
              > What I did with the sample Greek file provided by Eric Fookes was e.g.:
              >
              > select Greek word and capitalize (Ctrl + U).
              >
              > Result: Final sigma (the 'squiggle' at e.g. the end of the last word in
              > the first Greek sentence - 'sas') becomes box character when capitalized.
              > When that text box is copied to another file, this box becomes 'Ò' (no
              > idea what that special character will look like in my email message).
              >
              > And: When changing Greek lower case --> capitals, then
              > accented lower case characters remain lower case.
              >
              > And: NTB Pasteboard displays different characters (accented Latin, so
              > extended Latin, I suppose) after copy.
              >
              > Then I realized that this may not be the intention of "seeing how NTB
              > handles other code pages" at all. Hence my question to the NTB message
              > board.
              >
              > FYI: Eric posted an answer to my question on the NTB HTML list.
              >
              > Gerard
              > --
              > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
              > 2312 ZD Leiden
              > Netherlands
              > inboxgen@...

            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 10, 2009

                > Hi Gerald,
                >
                > I was able to duplicate what you did with the last word of the first Greek sentence. I also enabled Greek Language and Greek Polytonic keyboard on my Windows language bar. I was then able to type Greek characters into NoteTab. But I wasn't able to figure out how to enter one of those "final sigma"s. Greek may be another iffy language, at least wrt some characters. When I googled for how to enter final sigma on the Windows Greek keyboard, it seemed to indicate I would need additional software. FWIW, in Notetab I can properly copy and paste strings of characters within the document, and text case is properly altered for at least some characters when I use the text case menu items or shortcuts. The Pasteboard issue has something to do with the properties of the pasteboard document. If I save the Greek txt file to a new name, open both Greek files as documents, designate one of them as a pasteboard, and then copy some text from the other document to the clipboard, it gets appended to the pasteboard and has the appropriate appearance.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Sheri

                Hmn. I found out the small final sigma is on the "w" key. But Shift-w doesn't type anything. In Std/Light if you uppercase one via NoteTab's menu and are displaying the document with Palantino Linotype font, you do see a character other than a box character. No idea if it looks like the one you expected. The normal capital sigma is entered with Shift-s.

              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2009
                  With the new update to 6.12, if you use NoteTab's menu option to change
                  a Greek final Sigma to upper case, it becomes an proper upper case Sigma
                  (previously became a box character).

                • Gerard Huijing
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 14, 2009
                    Sheri wrote:

                    > With the new update to 6.12, if you use NoteTab's menu option to change
                    > a Greek final Sigma to upper case, it becomes an proper upper case Sigma
                    > (previously became a box character).

                    Indeed, it does, and with the keyboard shortcuts too.

                    I first thought that NTB 6.12 now also changed accented lower case
                    characters correctly to capitals, i.e., without accents. However, if you
                    have a good look, you can see the accent preceding the capitalized
                    character. It makes no difference whether I use the menu options, or the
                    keyboard shortcuts.

                    Just a quick report, as I am stuck in the middle of a few other problems
                    on this machine.

                    Cheers,
                    Gerard
                    --
                    Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                    2312 ZD Leiden
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 14, 2009
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

                      > Sheri wrote:
                      > >

                      > > With the new update to 6.12, if you use NoteTab's menu option to
                      > > change a Greek final Sigma to upper case, it becomes an proper
                      > > upper case Sigma (previously became a box character). Indeed, it
                      > > does, and with the keyboard shortcuts too.
                      >
                      > I first thought that NTB 6.12 now also changed accented lower
                      > case characters correctly to capitals, i.e., without accents.
                      > However, if you have a good look, you can see the accent
                      > preceding the capitalized character. It makes no difference
                      > whether I use the menu options, or the keyboard shortcuts.

                      I tried changing case in the Greek text with a few other editors and it looks like they all do that.

                    • Gerard Huijing
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 15, 2009
                        Sheri wrote:

                        > I tried changing case in the Greek text with a few other editors and it
                        > looks like they all do that.

                        Blow me down, I had never realized that! After receiving your message, I
                        tried it in Word + Antioch. Now Antioch is basically a whole bunch of VB
                        macros to compose polytonic characters, so I suppose it may be possible,
                        but as it is it can't do this capitalizing either.

                        Most unfair of me, to point out the lack of a feature in NTB that maybe
                        no editor or word processor has.

                        Cheers,
                        Gerard

                        --
                        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                        2312 ZD Leiden
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 15, 2009
                          Most unfair of me, to point out the lack of a feature in NTB that maybe
                          no editor or word processor has.

                          LOL, NT has always had features that no others have had.

                          Jeff
                        • Gerard Huijing
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 16, 2009
                            On 06/15/2009 11:50 PM, Jeff wrote:

                            > LOL, NT has always had features that no others have had.

                            Touche! With an accent on the 'e'.

                            Cheers,
                            Gerard

                            --