Re: Opening multiple files into one

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
      John,

      All suggested solutions are essentially the same.
      They just have more or less fluff.

      The essence of combining several files into one
      using notetab is:

      ;1. set your path before the following code
      ^!Set %path%=^?{(t=D)browse to the desired folder}

      ;2. collect the filenames (include paths)
      ^!SetListDelimiter |
      ^!SetArray %allfiles%=^$GetFiles(^%path%;*.html)$

      ;3. Select the files you want to append (one line)
      ^!SetArray %selections%=^?{(T=A;H=^%allfiles0%)Select files=^%allfiles%}

      ;4. loop through the filelist to insert the
      files into the current document
      (or append them to an external file)

      :loop
      ^!InsertFile ^%selection^%selection0%%
      ^!Dec %selection0%
      ^!If ^%selection0%>0 loop

      Note that this loop is where the various solutions differ.
      Using a separate variable to track which file to insert
      lets you insert files in any order. The above solutions
      inserts the files in reverse order. I urge you to read
      up on the ^$GetFiles function in the help file.

      Eb

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

      > If you know how to do it in DOS cou could use the Shell command
      > (just kidding), or try the following (I don't have NoteTab running, so the functions below are guesses, and of course you'll have to provide a place for the inserts, and a home for the clipcode):
      >
      > ^!SetListDelimiter |
      > ^!SetArray %allfiles%=^$GetFiles(path to folder)$
      > ^!SetArray %selections%=^?{(T=A;H=^%allfiles0%)Select files}
      > :loop
      > ^!InsertFile ^%selection^%selection0%%
      > ^!Dec %selection0%
      > ^!If ^%selection0%>0 loop
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Eb
      >
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have an application that places many .html files into a folder. I would like to open them into a single document, all
      > > concatenated together without opening the individual files separately. Is this possible in NoteTab? (I know how to do it
      > > with Dos, but I'd rather just do a multi-select and grab only the files I select.)

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
        ebbtidalflats wrote:
        > John,
        >
        > All suggested solutions are essentially the same.
        > They just have more or less fluff.
        >
        > The essence of combining several files into one
        > using notetab is:
        >
        > ;1. set your path before the following code
        > ^!Set %path%=^?{(t=D)browse to the desired folder}
        >
        > ;2. collect the filenames (include paths)
        > ^!SetListDelimiter |
        > ^!SetArray %allfiles%=^$GetFiles(^%path%;*.html)$
        >
        > ;3. Select the files you want to append (one line)
        > ^!SetArray %selections%=^?{(T=A;H=^%allfiles0%)Select files=^%allfiles%}
        >
        > ;4. loop through the filelist to insert the
        > files into the current document
        > (or append them to an external file)
        >
        > :loop
        > ^!InsertFile ^%selection^%selection0%%
        > ^!Dec %selection0%
        > ^!If ^%selection0%>0 loop
        >
        > Note that this loop is where the various solutions differ.
        > Using a separate variable to track which file to insert
        > lets you insert files in any order. The above solutions
        > inserts the files in reverse order. I urge you to read
        > up on the ^$GetFiles function in the help file.
        >

        > Eb
        >
        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:
        >
        >> If you know how to do it in DOS cou could use the Shell command
        >> (just kidding), or try the following (I don't have NoteTab running, so the functions below are guesses, and of course you'll have to provide a place for the inserts, and a home for the clipcode):
        >>
        >> ^!SetListDelimiter |
        >> ^!SetArray %allfiles%=^$GetFiles(path to folder)$
        >> ^!SetArray %selections%=^?{(T=A;H=^%allfiles0%)Select files}
        >> :loop
        >> ^!InsertFile ^%selection^%selection0%%
        >> ^!Dec %selection0%
        >> ^!If ^%selection0%>0 loop
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >>
        >> Eb

        I noticed the above sets an array variable that ends with the letter "s"
        but tries to read it using a variable name that is missing the "s".
        Untested, but that's not going to work.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2009

          > ebbtidalflats wrote:
          > >> ^!SetListDelimiter |
          > >> ^!SetArray %allfiles%=^$GetFiles(path to folder)$
          > >> ^!SetArray %selections%=^?{(T=A;H=^%allfiles0%)Select files}
          > >> :loop
          > >> ^!InsertFile ^%selection^%selection0%%
          > >> ^!Dec %selection0%
          > >> ^!If ^%selection0%>0 loop

          > I noticed the above sets an array variable that ends with the letter "s"
          > but tries to read it using a variable name that is missing the "s".
          > Untested, but that's not going to work.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri

          Thanks for pointing this out. Don't know how that could have happened ;). I got a wireless keyboard. You don't suppose someone else is typing on the same frequency?

          Fastes fix, remove the s in the array declaration.

          Cheers

          Eb