Quick question regarding olding and multiple items..

  • Silverleaf
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 1:25 PM
      Greetings,

      First post here, but I've used Not Tab Light for years, specifically with regards to creating complete HTML projects. An ongoing pet-peeve/headache for me has been when I have thousands of numbered entries to edit and break so that they have proper formatting. I'm certainly not up to speed on all of the possible ways to quicken this task - but I'm hoping someone might have a few suggestions.

      Here is an example of what I'm doing:

      I have a numbered Paragraph system - running sequentially from 001-1000. While each entry is unique, they all follow the same finalized formatting:

      234. Conduct PC Check:
      • Success: See 296.
      • Failure: No Event

      Now, what I have been doing manually for the last few years - (this is a massive project with thousands of entries) is to do the following. - I'll substitute [ for < so that everything appears properly):

      Highlight the number 234. and then double-click on the [b] tag (once that is activated) then I simply rinse and repeat 1000 times by using the shortcut CTL-Space.

      Next I go back through and do a line break command [br] - again activating then using the shortcut. When all is said and done, I have an entry that looks like this:

      [b]234.[b] Conduct PC Check:[br]
      • Success: See 296.[br]
      • Failure: No Event[br]
      [br]

      This gives each entry proper formatting and makes it clear/clean and concise when viewing in the browser. The problem is the [br] command requires me to rinse/repeat that same step at least 4000 times per 1000 entries. *sigh*

      My question is:

      Does anyone know of a method to speed up this process - is there a batch file/code snippet/ suggestion that might improve my productivity?

      I still have another 2000 entries to do and while adding the text isn't all that bad, the tedium of rinse/repeat is certainly killing my enthusiasm.

      With regards,

      R.S.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 2:38 PM
        Silverleaf wrote:
        > I still have another 2000 entries to do

        You should have asked much earlier!

        > [b]234.[b] Conduct PC Check:[br]
        > • Success: See 296.[br]
        > • Failure: No Event[br]
        > [br]

        I assume that last empty line is already present. Then try:

        ^!Replace "^P" >> "<br>^P" WAS
        ^!Replace "^(\d{3}\.)" >> "<b>$1<b>" WRAS

        I assume here that you use a NoteTab version of at least 5.0. If not
        the second line needs to be modified a bit. For those two commands
        you do not even need the clip. The search and replace in the menue
        would let you replace ^P by <br>^P and then, in regular expression
        mode, ^(\d{3}\.) by <b>$1<b>

        The tedium of what you have already done must have been terrible.

        Axel
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2 2:52 PM
          I'd use regular expressions, and prevent the double <b> tags.
          ;Add <Br> To the front of the numbered sections only
          ^!Replace "^(\d{3}\.)" >> "<b>$1" ARTSW
          ;Add <b> to the end of every line
          ^!Replace "\R" >> "<br>\n" ARTSW

          John

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2 3:29 PM
            --- Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

            > You should have asked much earlier!

            LoL - Didn't know this place existed. 8)

            Many thanks for the quick reply, as I really appreciate it.

            > > [b]234.[b] Conduct PC Check:[br]
            > > • Success: See 296.[br]
            > > • Failure: No Event[br]
            > > [br]
            >
            > I assume that last empty line is already present. Then try:

            ^!Replace "^P" >> "<br>^P" WAS
            ^!Replace "^(\d{3}\.)" >> "<b>$1<b>" WRAS

            Um, I'm not following what I'm supposed to do with this text. I've used Note Tab for 6 or 7 years and just used it as a text/html editor, and haven't the foggiest idea where this is added.

            If I'm following this text - I'm supposed to exchange P with BR? There are no P's to begin. To reiterate, when I type a text block in to Note Tab, it looks exactly like this:

            994.
            • If US soldiers are in sight, but none is west of the L hex column, go to Condition 4.
            • If US soldiers are in sight and north of the 9 hex row, go to Condition 3.
            • Otherwise, see 825.

            A completed example (within NoteTab) looks exactly like this when finished:

            • If US soldiers are in sight, but none is west of the L hex column, go to Condition 4.<br>

            • If US soldiers are in sight and north of the 9 hex row, go to Condition 3.<br>

            • Otherwise, see 825.<br>

            I apologize for any confusion this may cause.

            > I assume here that you use a NoteTab version of at least 5.0. If not
            > the second line needs to be modified a bit. For those two commands
            > you do not even need the clip. The search and replace in the menue
            > would let you replace ^P by <br>^P and then, in regular expression
            > mode, ^(\d{3}\.) by <b>$1<b>

            It's version 4.95

            > The tedium of what you have already done must have been terrible.

            Been an absolute nightmare, and though I'm close to being finished, there is a ton left to do. *sigh*

            Cheers and thanks again,
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2 5:35 PM
              Silverleaf (r_silverleaf@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-05-02 at
              18:29):
              > > > [b]234.[b] Conduct PC Check:[br]
              > > > " Success: See 296.[br]
              > > > " Failure: No Event[br]
              > > > [br]
              > >
              > > I assume that last empty line is already present. Then try:
              >
              > ^!Replace "^P" >> "<br>^P" WAS
              > ^!Replace "^(\d{3}\.)" >> "<b>$1<b>" WRAS
              >
              > Um, I'm not following what I'm supposed to do with this text. I've
              > used Note Tab for 6 or 7 years and just used it as a text/html
              > editor, and haven't the foggiest idea where this is added.
              >
              > If I'm following this text - I'm supposed to exchange P with BR?
              > There are no P's to begin.
              First - update your (free) 4.x version of Notetab Lite to the current
              5.x version of Notetab Lite
              There are some changes which you probably won't notice immediately
              though you might find it interesting to browse through the "what's new"
              file which will automatically be displayed when you first run Notetab.

              The ^P's Axel refers to are tokens which represent the new-line
              separator between lines in a txt (or html) file.
              They can be used in the Find/Replace dialog in Notetab or in Clips
              (scripts which execute a set of Notetab commands)

              The two commands that Axel gave you are intended to be put in a clip and
              executed against a selection of text.

              the first can be executed in the Find/Replace dialog by putting "^P"
              (w/o) quotes in Find field and "<br>^P" (again w/o quotes) in the
              Replace field. This will put a <br> at the end of all lines in the text
              you have selected or all lines in file if nothing is selected.

              The second uses a regular expression. To do it in Find/Replace dialog
              tick [x] Regular Exp. and put "^(\d{3}\.)" and "<b>$1<b>" in Find and
              Replace fields (again w/o quotes).

              Note: in your current version this will not work as you want - some
              changes to the syntax of regular expression were made in the upgrade to
              the 5.x version were made.

              The Find field says look for all occurrences of three digits followed by
              a period and replace them by the same thing surrounded by <b> and </b>.
              btw: I think Axel had a typo in what he gave ... the second <b> should
              of course be </b> instead :-)

              This should get you started.
              If you want to create your own clips start in Notetab HELP file and look
              for the Clip Basics" topic in the index.
              Note if you want to try the regular expression in your current Notetab
              4.95 the equivalent Find and Replace fields are:
              "{\d\d\d\.}" and "<b>\1</b"

              If you want to figure out how and why this does what it does, look in
              the Help for Regular expressions in your current version - but I
              strongly recommend the upgrade to Notetab 5.

            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3 5:09 AM
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

                > Note if you want to try the regular expression in your current
                > Notetab 4.95 the equivalent Find and Replace fields are:
                > "{\d\d\d\.}" and "<b>\1</b"

                ...but keep in mind that unlike in the current version (5.8), regular expression processing in 4.95 was slow and prone to crash on a large document.