Writing Clips

  • forkinpm
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2009
      Hallo!
      I am not a programmer and probably will need to call for some help on writing scripts.
      I wish to do the following with scripting capabilities:
      1. Build lists & call up the lists to select an item from the list.
      2. Create a dictionary of PoS tagged English words and later
      3. Create an English to German version of the dictionary.
      4. Scripting look-ups in the dictionary.
      5. Build some simple rules applications to choose items from.
      Anyone who knows of or has scripts doing what I wish to do, is most welcome to make contect with me.
      If anyone thinks I would be better served using a conventional simple scripting language, I would like to hear it.
      I could do with help in the learn process.
      Thanks and kind regards, Patrick forkin.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2009
        forkinpm wrote:
        > I wish to do the following with scripting capabilities:

        Clips can do a lot, but at first glance you might be served better
        with a real programming language here or possibly a database
        application.

        That said, can you make up succinct short examples of what you want?

        Axel
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15, 2009
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "forkinpm" <forkinpm@...> wrote:

          > Hallo!
          > I am not a programmer and probably will need to call for some help on writing scripts.
          > I wish to do the following with scripting capabilities:
          > 1. Build lists & call up the lists to select an item from the list.
          > 2. Create a dictionary of PoS tagged English words and later
          > 3. Create an English to German version of the dictionary.
          > 4. Scripting look-ups in the dictionary.
          > 5. Build some simple rules applications to choose items from.
          > Anyone who knows of or has scripts doing what I wish to do, is most welcome to make contect with me.
          > If anyone thinks I would be better served using a conventional simple scripting language, I would like to hear it.
          > I could do with help in the learn process.
          > Thanks and kind regards, Patrick forkin.

          I could see perhaps a clip library with content that is the German equivalent of the clip name. For example:

          clip name: dog
          clip content: hund

          If you want part of speech in there, just a longer name, e.g., dog (n)

          Then if you need some special type of lookup, you could create a command type clip, e.g., to do a reverse lookup. But for simple lookup, all you need is the clip library open, and you can select from the clip panel or in-context clipbook. If you later make it an autocomplete clip library, when you are typing a document in Notetab, you could enter dog <space> and it would automatically be changed to hund.

          The current clip library in NoteTab is shown and hidden with F4. You can create a new clip library by right-clicking the library name and selecting New Library (command is also on the Tools menu). With the F4 panel open, right click in the list and select new clip. It will prompt for a name. Then you can enter the content.

          Once you have started it, if you have a lot to enter, you can save the library and then open it as a document. Clips are in the document in this form:

          H="dog"
          hund

          H="..."

          Once all your words are in it, reopen the library in clip panel. No need to enter the words alphabetically, you can right-click over the list and select "Sorted" to sort by clip name. Then re-save and I believe the list will always be sorted when you open it after that.

          Also, once the words are in, you might think of other ways you would prefer to access it. There is a clip in the Clipcode Syntax library (in the Yahoo files area) that would allow you for instance, to show all the clipnames that contain the letters "dog" anywhere in them, and either show or enter the clip content.