Re: [Clip] This clip screws up NoteTab pro

  • Vance E. Neff
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 7 10:08 AM
      Don,

      Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
      ^!Keyboard commands in the future.

      Vance

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 7 10:19 AM
        Vance E. Neff wrote:
        > Don,
        >
        > Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
        > ^!Keyboard commands in the future.
        >
        > Vance
        Keyboard commands add timing into the equation ... the command takes a
        keyboard stroke figuratively and so they vary with the speed of your
        processor. Most any other command executes fully before moving on, but
        a keyboard command only send the message to "stroke" the keyboard
        essentially. So in this case, you may have had a command executing
        prematurely because the keyboard stroke had not occurred even though it
        was in process.

        Often if you add keyboard strokes, it is worthwhile to add a delay
        following them to be sure the computer actually received the stroke
        before moving on. However there can be problems with timing just moving
        from one machine to another in that one may require more delay than another.

        Always best to avoid keyboard commands when not needed.
      • Vance E. Neff
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 9 8:08 AM
          Hello,

          I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.

          The statement I am using is:
          ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
          it always resolves to:
          ^!SetDocIndex 0

          I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
          same results.
          What am I doing wrong?

          Vance
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 9 8:23 AM
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
            >
            > The statement I am using is:
            > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
            > it always resolves to:
            > ^!SetDocIndex 0
            >
            > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
            > same results.
            > What am I doing wrong?
            >
            > Vance

            You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.

            ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$

            You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,

            ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$

          • Vance E. Neff
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 9 8:37 AM
              Sheri,

              Thanks, it never occurred to me that the path was required as part of
              the name, though it does make sense that it is.

              Thanks again!
              Vance

              Sheri wrote:
              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:
              >> Hello,
              >>
              >> I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
              >>
              >> The statement I am using is:
              >> ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
              >> it always resolves to:
              >> ^!SetDocIndex 0
              >>
              >> I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
              >> same results.
              >> What am I doing wrong?
              >>
              >> Vance
              >>

              > You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.
              >
              > ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$
              >
              > You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,
              >
              > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$
              >
              > Regards,
              > Sheri

            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 9 8:41 AM
                Flo wrote:
                > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
                >> looking at the clip and looking at my sample....
                >>

                > John,
                >
                > Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.
                >
                > My test lines are...
                >
                > This is an example line without a period
                > Another line with a period.
                > This is an example line with a period.
                > Another line without a period
                > This is an example line without a period
                >
                > I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.
                >
                > So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...
                >
                > ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                >
                > It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?
                >
                > Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this case, Sheri's proposal...
                >
                > ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                >
                > would the job, of course.
                >
                > Flo

                Hi Flo,

                Seems I'm guilty of not reading the notes very closely, and looking only
                at the original sample, which sadly did not include any lines that
                shouldn't be altered. I was trying to help when I really didn't have
                time to scrutinize the messages.

                Now I see that he did say: "there are many [...] lines that are not
                sentences and should never get a period added"

              • Don Daugherty
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 9 8:48 AM
                  Vance E. Neff wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                  >
                  > The statement I am using is:
                  > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                  > it always resolves to:
                  > ^!SetDocIndex 0
                  >
                  > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                  > same results.
                  > What am I doing wrong?
                  >
                  > Vance

                  I think you need to include the full path with the name, e.g.,
                  ^$GetDocIndex(c:\My Documents\cncjobmisc.pm)$

                  It seems to work fine with or without quotes inside the parentheses.
                • John Shotsky
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 9 9:25 AM
                    Flo,

                    Yes, you have interpreted my requirements correctly. Also, your clip does it as needed. I would never have come up with
                    that on my own. It'll be worked into my clip library in several places.

                    I didn't know the dot was considered literally inside a character class.that probably explains why some of my previous
                    clips didn't work as I expected. (I usually try things quite a few ways before I ask for help.). Also, when searching
                    for line ends, I almost always use \R, which matches any kind of line end. If I'm replacing, I use \n as the
                    replacement.

                    Sorry to be late in answering - I contracted a virus 'HACKTOOL' from a web site, and it took out my boot drive. I wasn't
                    even doing anything, but up came a blue screen of death, computer halted, then wouldn't boot again. I've spent the last
                    couple days rebuilding from scratch almost. Yes, I ordinarily run virus software all the time, but I had just rebuilt
                    this system and was waiting for my Norton antivirus software to arrive, so I was browsing the internet using only sites
                    that I'd been to before safely. Unfortunately, one of them now slips you HACKTOOL when you visit. In case any of you
                    have been browsing for graphic/image utilities, don't even think about visiting wwwdotbrothersoftdotcom.

                    John

                    > Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
                    > looking at the clip and looking at my sample....

                    John,

                    Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.

                    My test lines are...

                    This is an example line without a period
                    Another line with a period.
                    This is an example line with a period.
                    Another line without a period
                    This is an example line without a period

                    I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string
                    "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.

                    So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...

                    ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

                    It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?

                    Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this
                    case, Sheri's proposal...

                    ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

                    would the job, of course.

                    Flo

                    P.S. to Alec:

                    Your first solution (without ?m)...

                    ^!replace "(?<!\.)$" >> "." rwsai

                    works fine for me too. Since it adds a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period it possibly doesn't meet the
                    job (matching that sample string) (??)

                    > Another way is:
                    > ^!replace "(?m)([^\.])$" >> "$1." rwsai

                    This doesn't work for me. It "splits" the CRNL at the end of each line because, with [^\.], also the CR is matched. So,
                    at the end of line #1 to #4, we get ".CR.CRNL".

                    By the way: We don't have to escape the dot here -- inside a character class, it's always regarded as a literal dot.