[Clip] Re: Handling periods at ends of lines

  • Flo
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 7 9:17 AM

      > Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
      > looking at the clip and looking at my sample....

      John,

      Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.

      My test lines are...

      This is an example line without a period
      Another line with a period.
      This is an example line with a period.
      Another line without a period
      This is an example line without a period

      I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.

      So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...

      ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

      It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?

      Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this case, Sheri's proposal...

      ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

      would the job, of course.

      Flo

      P.S. to Alec:

      Your first solution (without ?m)...

      ^!replace "(?<!\.)$" >> "." rwsai

      works fine for me too. Since it adds a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period it possibly doesn't meet the job (matching that sample string) (??)

      > Another way is:
      > ^!replace "(?m)([^\.])$" >> "$1." rwsai

      This doesn't work for me. It "splits" the CRNL at the end of each line because, with [^\.], also the CR is matched. So, at the end of line #1 to #4, we get ".CR.CRNL".

      By the way: We don't have to escape the dot here -- inside a character class, it's always regarded as a literal dot.

    • Vance E. Neff
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 7 10:08 AM
        Don,

        Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
        ^!Keyboard commands in the future.

        Vance

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 7 10:19 AM
          Vance E. Neff wrote:
          > Don,
          >
          > Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
          > ^!Keyboard commands in the future.
          >
          > Vance
          Keyboard commands add timing into the equation ... the command takes a
          keyboard stroke figuratively and so they vary with the speed of your
          processor. Most any other command executes fully before moving on, but
          a keyboard command only send the message to "stroke" the keyboard
          essentially. So in this case, you may have had a command executing
          prematurely because the keyboard stroke had not occurred even though it
          was in process.

          Often if you add keyboard strokes, it is worthwhile to add a delay
          following them to be sure the computer actually received the stroke
          before moving on. However there can be problems with timing just moving
          from one machine to another in that one may require more delay than another.

          Always best to avoid keyboard commands when not needed.
        • Vance E. Neff
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 9 8:08 AM
            Hello,

            I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.

            The statement I am using is:
            ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
            it always resolves to:
            ^!SetDocIndex 0

            I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
            same results.
            What am I doing wrong?

            Vance
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 9 8:23 AM
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
              >
              > The statement I am using is:
              > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
              > it always resolves to:
              > ^!SetDocIndex 0
              >
              > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
              > same results.
              > What am I doing wrong?
              >
              > Vance

              You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.

              ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$

              You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,

              ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$

            • Vance E. Neff
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 9 8:37 AM
                Sheri,

                Thanks, it never occurred to me that the path was required as part of
                the name, though it does make sense that it is.

                Thanks again!
                Vance

                Sheri wrote:
                > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:
                >> Hello,
                >>
                >> I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                >>
                >> The statement I am using is:
                >> ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                >> it always resolves to:
                >> ^!SetDocIndex 0
                >>
                >> I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                >> same results.
                >> What am I doing wrong?
                >>
                >> Vance
                >>

                > You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.
                >
                > ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$
                >
                > You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,
                >
                > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$
                >
                > Regards,
                > Sheri

              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 9 8:41 AM
                  Flo wrote:
                  > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
                  >> looking at the clip and looking at my sample....
                  >>

                  > John,
                  >
                  > Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.
                  >
                  > My test lines are...
                  >
                  > This is an example line without a period
                  > Another line with a period.
                  > This is an example line with a period.
                  > Another line without a period
                  > This is an example line without a period
                  >
                  > I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.
                  >
                  > So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...
                  >
                  > ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                  >
                  > It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?
                  >
                  > Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this case, Sheri's proposal...
                  >
                  > ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                  >
                  > would the job, of course.
                  >
                  > Flo

                  Hi Flo,

                  Seems I'm guilty of not reading the notes very closely, and looking only
                  at the original sample, which sadly did not include any lines that
                  shouldn't be altered. I was trying to help when I really didn't have
                  time to scrutinize the messages.

                  Now I see that he did say: "there are many [...] lines that are not
                  sentences and should never get a period added"

                • Don Daugherty
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 9 8:48 AM
                    Vance E. Neff wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                    >
                    > The statement I am using is:
                    > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                    > it always resolves to:
                    > ^!SetDocIndex 0
                    >
                    > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                    > same results.
                    > What am I doing wrong?
                    >
                    > Vance

                    I think you need to include the full path with the name, e.g.,
                    ^$GetDocIndex(c:\My Documents\cncjobmisc.pm)$

                    It seems to work fine with or without quotes inside the parentheses.
                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 9 9:25 AM
                      Flo,

                      Yes, you have interpreted my requirements correctly. Also, your clip does it as needed. I would never have come up with
                      that on my own. It'll be worked into my clip library in several places.

                      I didn't know the dot was considered literally inside a character class.that probably explains why some of my previous
                      clips didn't work as I expected. (I usually try things quite a few ways before I ask for help.). Also, when searching
                      for line ends, I almost always use \R, which matches any kind of line end. If I'm replacing, I use \n as the
                      replacement.

                      Sorry to be late in answering - I contracted a virus 'HACKTOOL' from a web site, and it took out my boot drive. I wasn't
                      even doing anything, but up came a blue screen of death, computer halted, then wouldn't boot again. I've spent the last
                      couple days rebuilding from scratch almost. Yes, I ordinarily run virus software all the time, but I had just rebuilt
                      this system and was waiting for my Norton antivirus software to arrive, so I was browsing the internet using only sites
                      that I'd been to before safely. Unfortunately, one of them now slips you HACKTOOL when you visit. In case any of you
                      have been browsing for graphic/image utilities, don't even think about visiting wwwdotbrothersoftdotcom.

                      John