This clip screws up NoteTab pro

  • Vance E. Neff
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
      Hi,

      For some reason the following clip seems to stop prematurely, but
      NoteTab is still doing something in the back ground. CPU usage is at
      %100. Plus, when I exit NoteTab, it seems to exit but the process is
      still running at %100.

      All this clip does is insert an If/Endif level indicator before each line.

      Heres the clip:
      ;^!setdebug ON
      ^!Info Insert IF/ELSE rank levels
      ;^!ToolBar New Document
      ;^!SetFocus Frame2
      ^!Jump TEXT_START
      ^!Set %IfLevel%=0
      ;^!SetScreenUpdate Off
      :StartLoop
      ^!Keyboard HOME
      ^!Select LINE
      :CheckForIf
      ^!Find "^[\s\t]*if[\s\t]" ishr
      ^!IfError CheckForEndif
      :FoundIf
      ^!Inc %IfLevel%
      ^!Select LINE
      ^!GoTo RankThisLine
      :CheckForEndif
      ^!Find "^[\s\t]*endif" ishr
      ^!IfError RankThisLine
      ^!Select LINE
      :FoundEndif
      ^!Dec %IfLevel%
      :RankThisLine
      ;^!Set %Line%=^$GetSelection$
      ;^!SetFocus Frame1
      ;^!Insert "^%IfLevel% ^%Line%"
      ;^!SetFocus Frame2
      ^!Keyboard up HOME
      ^!Insert "^%IfLevel% "
      ^!Find "^P" s
      ^!IfError EndScan
      ^!Goto StartLoop
      :EndScan
      ^!SetFocus Frame1

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Vance
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
        Well without a sample of before and after it's a bit vague. I don't
        completely understand what we are doing even.

        My first comment would be to get rid of all keyboard commands if there
        is an equivalent non-keyboard ...
        example the home keyboard can be replaced by a jump doc start command.
        That will be more efficient every time Vance.

        Don

      • Flo
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009

          > Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
          > looking at the clip and looking at my sample....

          John,

          Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.

          My test lines are...

          This is an example line without a period
          Another line with a period.
          This is an example line with a period.
          Another line without a period
          This is an example line without a period

          I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.

          So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...

          ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

          It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?

          Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this case, Sheri's proposal...

          ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

          would the job, of course.

          Flo

          P.S. to Alec:

          Your first solution (without ?m)...

          ^!replace "(?<!\.)$" >> "." rwsai

          works fine for me too. Since it adds a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period it possibly doesn't meet the job (matching that sample string) (??)

          > Another way is:
          > ^!replace "(?m)([^\.])$" >> "$1." rwsai

          This doesn't work for me. It "splits" the CRNL at the end of each line because, with [^\.], also the CR is matched. So, at the end of line #1 to #4, we get ".CR.CRNL".

          By the way: We don't have to escape the dot here -- inside a character class, it's always regarded as a literal dot.

        • Vance E. Neff
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
            Don,

            Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
            ^!Keyboard commands in the future.

            Vance

          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
              Vance E. Neff wrote:
              > Don,
              >
              > Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
              > ^!Keyboard commands in the future.
              >
              > Vance
              Keyboard commands add timing into the equation ... the command takes a
              keyboard stroke figuratively and so they vary with the speed of your
              processor. Most any other command executes fully before moving on, but
              a keyboard command only send the message to "stroke" the keyboard
              essentially. So in this case, you may have had a command executing
              prematurely because the keyboard stroke had not occurred even though it
              was in process.

              Often if you add keyboard strokes, it is worthwhile to add a delay
              following them to be sure the computer actually received the stroke
              before moving on. However there can be problems with timing just moving
              from one machine to another in that one may require more delay than another.

              Always best to avoid keyboard commands when not needed.
            • Vance E. Neff
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                Hello,

                I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.

                The statement I am using is:
                ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                it always resolves to:
                ^!SetDocIndex 0

                I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                same results.
                What am I doing wrong?

                Vance
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                  >
                  > The statement I am using is:
                  > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                  > it always resolves to:
                  > ^!SetDocIndex 0
                  >
                  > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                  > same results.
                  > What am I doing wrong?
                  >
                  > Vance

                  You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.

                  ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$

                  You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,

                  ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$

                • Vance E. Neff
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                    Sheri,

                    Thanks, it never occurred to me that the path was required as part of
                    the name, though it does make sense that it is.

                    Thanks again!
                    Vance

                    Sheri wrote:
                    > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:
                    >> Hello,
                    >>
                    >> I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                    >>
                    >> The statement I am using is:
                    >> ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                    >> it always resolves to:
                    >> ^!SetDocIndex 0
                    >>
                    >> I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                    >> same results.
                    >> What am I doing wrong?
                    >>
                    >> Vance
                    >>

                    > You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.
                    >
                    > ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$
                    >
                    > You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,
                    >
                    > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Sheri

                  • Sheri
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                      Flo wrote:
                      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
                      >> looking at the clip and looking at my sample....
                      >>

                      > John,
                      >
                      > Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.
                      >
                      > My test lines are...
                      >
                      > This is an example line without a period
                      > Another line with a period.
                      > This is an example line with a period.
                      > Another line without a period
                      > This is an example line without a period
                      >
                      > I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.
                      >
                      > So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...
                      >
                      > ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                      >
                      > It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?
                      >
                      > Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this case, Sheri's proposal...
                      >
                      > ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                      >
                      > would the job, of course.
                      >
                      > Flo

                      Hi Flo,

                      Seems I'm guilty of not reading the notes very closely, and looking only
                      at the original sample, which sadly did not include any lines that
                      shouldn't be altered. I was trying to help when I really didn't have
                      time to scrutinize the messages.

                      Now I see that he did say: "there are many [...] lines that are not
                      sentences and should never get a period added"

                    • Don Daugherty
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                        Vance E. Neff wrote:
                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                        >
                        > The statement I am using is:
                        > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                        > it always resolves to:
                        > ^!SetDocIndex 0
                        >
                        > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                        > same results.
                        > What am I doing wrong?
                        >
                        > Vance

                        I think you need to include the full path with the name, e.g.,
                        ^$GetDocIndex(c:\My Documents\cncjobmisc.pm)$

                        It seems to work fine with or without quotes inside the parentheses.
                      • John Shotsky
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                          Flo,

                          Yes, you have interpreted my requirements correctly. Also, your clip does it as needed. I would never have come up with
                          that on my own. It'll be worked into my clip library in several places.

                          I didn't know the dot was considered literally inside a character class.that probably explains why some of my previous
                          clips didn't work as I expected. (I usually try things quite a few ways before I ask for help.). Also, when searching
                          for line ends, I almost always use \R, which matches any kind of line end. If I'm replacing, I use \n as the
                          replacement.

                          Sorry to be late in answering - I contracted a virus 'HACKTOOL' from a web site, and it took out my boot drive. I wasn't
                          even doing anything, but up came a blue screen of death, computer halted, then wouldn't boot again. I've spent the last
                          couple days rebuilding from scratch almost. Yes, I ordinarily run virus software all the time, but I had just rebuilt
                          this system and was waiting for my Norton antivirus software to arrive, so I was browsing the internet using only sites
                          that I'd been to before safely. Unfortunately, one of them now slips you HACKTOOL when you visit. In case any of you
                          have been browsing for graphic/image utilities, don't even think about visiting wwwdotbrothersoftdotcom.

                          John