[Clip] Re: Handling periods at ends of lines

  • Flo
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Flo,
      > >
      > > This indeed works, but I don't understand what the (?!.) term does.
      > > Can you elaborate?
      >
      > Negative Lookahead, i.e. string must not be followed by a dot.

      So it must be...

      ^!Replace "^(This is an example line[^.\r\n]*)(?!\.)" >> "$1." AWRS

      of course. Sorry again -- it's been a very long day. I better go to bed now...

      Flo
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009
        Flo,

        Thank you, I get that now. I assume that since it will only match when a period is not on the
        end of the 'found' line, that it will execute substantially faster than one that finds each
        line, period or not, as my example does. If that is the case, I can see that I might speed up my
        overall time through this technique. Some of my documents have thousands of lines, and at least
        one has over 60,000 lines.I'll time this to see what the difference is.

        Thanks again!

        John

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009
          Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when looking at the clip and
          looking at my sample. It worked on my sample without the \. surprisingly. So wouldn't the
          replace actually be $1\. too?

          In fact, this one doesn't work, while the first one did. Here are my example lines again:

          This is an example line without a period

          This is an example line with a period.

          The first clip puts a period where it is needed, the second one produces this:

          This is an example line without a period.

          This is an example line with a perio.d.

          I'm confused.the whole assertion thing is new to me.

          No rush, get your sleep.and thanks again!

          John

          > > This indeed works, but I don't understand what the (?!.) term does.
          > > Can you elaborate?
          >
          > Negative Lookahead, i.e. string must not be followed by a dot.

          So it must be...

          ^!Replace "^(This is an example line[^.\r\n]*)(?!\.)" >> "$1." AWRS

          of course. Sorry again -- it's been a very long day. I better go to bed now...

          Flo

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009

            > Thanks Sheri, but I really need it to work on the whole document,
            > finding only the lines specified in the find part of the command.
            > My documents have thousands of lines, and only a few need to be
            > changed. Essentially, I am looking for sentences that have lost
            > or were never given a period, but there are many more lines that
            > are not sentences and should never get a period added.
            >
            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com> , "John Shotsky"
            > <jshotsky@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I want to find certain lines and add a period only if there isn't
            > > one already. If there is already a period, I want to leave it,
            > > but if there is not one, I want to add one. It would be ok to
            > > remove an existing one and replace it with a new one, of course.
            > > But it has to work only on the lines I search on.
            >
            > Try it this way, untested but should work:
            >
            > ^!IfFalse ^$GetSelSize$ Next Else Skip_2
            > ^!Prompt This clip requires a selection.
            > ^!Goto End
            > ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." RAHS

            I misunderstood, thought you wanted to confine it to selected lines. All you would have needed to do is use only the replace command from the above, and put the cursor at the top of the file. Or change the H in options to a W, in which case it would always search from the top of the file through the whole document.

          • Vance E. Neff
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
              Hi,

              For some reason the following clip seems to stop prematurely, but
              NoteTab is still doing something in the back ground. CPU usage is at
              %100. Plus, when I exit NoteTab, it seems to exit but the process is
              still running at %100.

              All this clip does is insert an If/Endif level indicator before each line.

              Heres the clip:
              ;^!setdebug ON
              ^!Info Insert IF/ELSE rank levels
              ;^!ToolBar New Document
              ;^!SetFocus Frame2
              ^!Jump TEXT_START
              ^!Set %IfLevel%=0
              ;^!SetScreenUpdate Off
              :StartLoop
              ^!Keyboard HOME
              ^!Select LINE
              :CheckForIf
              ^!Find "^[\s\t]*if[\s\t]" ishr
              ^!IfError CheckForEndif
              :FoundIf
              ^!Inc %IfLevel%
              ^!Select LINE
              ^!GoTo RankThisLine
              :CheckForEndif
              ^!Find "^[\s\t]*endif" ishr
              ^!IfError RankThisLine
              ^!Select LINE
              :FoundEndif
              ^!Dec %IfLevel%
              :RankThisLine
              ;^!Set %Line%=^$GetSelection$
              ;^!SetFocus Frame1
              ;^!Insert "^%IfLevel% ^%Line%"
              ;^!SetFocus Frame2
              ^!Keyboard up HOME
              ^!Insert "^%IfLevel% "
              ^!Find "^P" s
              ^!IfError EndScan
              ^!Goto StartLoop
              :EndScan
              ^!SetFocus Frame1

              Any ideas?

              Thanks,
              Vance
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
                Well without a sample of before and after it's a bit vague. I don't
                completely understand what we are doing even.

                My first comment would be to get rid of all keyboard commands if there
                is an equivalent non-keyboard ...
                example the home keyboard can be replaced by a jump doc start command.
                That will be more efficient every time Vance.

                Don

              • Flo
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009

                  > Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
                  > looking at the clip and looking at my sample....

                  John,

                  Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.

                  My test lines are...

                  This is an example line without a period
                  Another line with a period.
                  This is an example line with a period.
                  Another line without a period
                  This is an example line without a period

                  I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.

                  So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...

                  ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

                  It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?

                  Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this case, Sheri's proposal...

                  ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

                  would the job, of course.

                  Flo

                  P.S. to Alec:

                  Your first solution (without ?m)...

                  ^!replace "(?<!\.)$" >> "." rwsai

                  works fine for me too. Since it adds a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period it possibly doesn't meet the job (matching that sample string) (??)

                  > Another way is:
                  > ^!replace "(?m)([^\.])$" >> "$1." rwsai

                  This doesn't work for me. It "splits" the CRNL at the end of each line because, with [^\.], also the CR is matched. So, at the end of line #1 to #4, we get ".CR.CRNL".

                  By the way: We don't have to escape the dot here -- inside a character class, it's always regarded as a literal dot.

                • Vance E. Neff
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
                    Don,

                    Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
                    ^!Keyboard commands in the future.

                    Vance

                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
                      Vance E. Neff wrote:
                      > Don,
                      >
                      > Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
                      > ^!Keyboard commands in the future.
                      >
                      > Vance
                      Keyboard commands add timing into the equation ... the command takes a
                      keyboard stroke figuratively and so they vary with the speed of your
                      processor. Most any other command executes fully before moving on, but
                      a keyboard command only send the message to "stroke" the keyboard
                      essentially. So in this case, you may have had a command executing
                      prematurely because the keyboard stroke had not occurred even though it
                      was in process.

                      Often if you add keyboard strokes, it is worthwhile to add a delay
                      following them to be sure the computer actually received the stroke
                      before moving on. However there can be problems with timing just moving
                      from one machine to another in that one may require more delay than another.

                      Always best to avoid keyboard commands when not needed.
                    • Vance E. Neff
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                        Hello,

                        I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.

                        The statement I am using is:
                        ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                        it always resolves to:
                        ^!SetDocIndex 0

                        I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                        same results.
                        What am I doing wrong?

                        Vance
                      • Sheri
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                          >
                          > The statement I am using is:
                          > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                          > it always resolves to:
                          > ^!SetDocIndex 0
                          >
                          > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                          > same results.
                          > What am I doing wrong?
                          >
                          > Vance

                          You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.

                          ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$

                          You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,

                          ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$

                        • Vance E. Neff
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                            Sheri,

                            Thanks, it never occurred to me that the path was required as part of
                            the name, though it does make sense that it is.

                            Thanks again!
                            Vance

                            Sheri wrote:
                            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:
                            >> Hello,
                            >>
                            >> I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                            >>
                            >> The statement I am using is:
                            >> ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                            >> it always resolves to:
                            >> ^!SetDocIndex 0
                            >>
                            >> I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                            >> same results.
                            >> What am I doing wrong?
                            >>
                            >> Vance
                            >>

                            > You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.
                            >
                            > ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$
                            >
                            > You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,
                            >
                            > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Sheri

                          • Sheri
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                              Flo wrote:
                              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
                              >> looking at the clip and looking at my sample....
                              >>

                              > John,
                              >
                              > Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.
                              >
                              > My test lines are...
                              >
                              > This is an example line without a period
                              > Another line with a period.
                              > This is an example line with a period.
                              > Another line without a period
                              > This is an example line without a period
                              >
                              > I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.
                              >
                              > So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...
                              >
                              > ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                              >
                              > It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?
                              >
                              > Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this case, Sheri's proposal...
                              >
                              > ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                              >
                              > would the job, of course.
                              >
                              > Flo

                              Hi Flo,

                              Seems I'm guilty of not reading the notes very closely, and looking only
                              at the original sample, which sadly did not include any lines that
                              shouldn't be altered. I was trying to help when I really didn't have
                              time to scrutinize the messages.

                              Now I see that he did say: "there are many [...] lines that are not
                              sentences and should never get a period added"

                            • Don Daugherty
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                                Vance E. Neff wrote:
                                > Hello,
                                >
                                > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                                >
                                > The statement I am using is:
                                > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                                > it always resolves to:
                                > ^!SetDocIndex 0
                                >
                                > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                                > same results.
                                > What am I doing wrong?
                                >
                                > Vance

                                I think you need to include the full path with the name, e.g.,
                                ^$GetDocIndex(c:\My Documents\cncjobmisc.pm)$

                                It seems to work fine with or without quotes inside the parentheses.
                              • John Shotsky
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                                  Flo,

                                  Yes, you have interpreted my requirements correctly. Also, your clip does it as needed. I would never have come up with
                                  that on my own. It'll be worked into my clip library in several places.

                                  I didn't know the dot was considered literally inside a character class.that probably explains why some of my previous
                                  clips didn't work as I expected. (I usually try things quite a few ways before I ask for help.). Also, when searching
                                  for line ends, I almost always use \R, which matches any kind of line end. If I'm replacing, I use \n as the
                                  replacement.

                                  Sorry to be late in answering - I contracted a virus 'HACKTOOL' from a web site, and it took out my boot drive. I wasn't
                                  even doing anything, but up came a blue screen of death, computer halted, then wouldn't boot again. I've spent the last
                                  couple days rebuilding from scratch almost. Yes, I ordinarily run virus software all the time, but I had just rebuilt
                                  this system and was waiting for my Norton antivirus software to arrive, so I was browsing the internet using only sites
                                  that I'd been to before safely. Unfortunately, one of them now slips you HACKTOOL when you visit. In case any of you
                                  have been browsing for graphic/image utilities, don't even think about visiting wwwdotbrothersoftdotcom.

                                  John