[Clip] Re: Handling periods at ends of lines

  • Flo
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009

      > I really need it to work on the whole document, finding only
      > the lines specified in the find part of the command.
      > I'm reasonably certain it can be done using a replace statement
      > such as I am using (so I can control what is found), but with some
      > element that prevents the double periods.

      Try this (corrected -- sorry!)...

      ^!Replace "^(This is an example line[^.\r\n]*)(?!.)" >> "$1." AWRS

      Flo
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009
        John Shotsky (jshotsky@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-04-06 at
        18:25):

        > PS: Oddly enough, as I was playing with it some more, I found the
        > magic solution: 1 measly
        > question mark makes it work correctly.
        >
        > ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.+?)\.?\R" >> "$1\.\n" ARSTW

        beating the dead horse department ....

        Hi John:
        The "cleanest" way to do it is with a negative lookbehind:
        ^!replace "(?m)(?<!\.)$" >> "." rwsai
        (?m) forces ^ and $ to match at linebreaks ... not really needed since
        that is the default in Notetab 5
        (?<!\.) is negative lookbehind

        Another way is:
        ^!replace "(?m)([^\.])$" >> "$1." rwsai

        If like me, you have difficulty remembering the syntax for the four
        lookaround cases.
        (?=positive_lookahead)
        (?!negative_lookahead)
        (?<=positive_lookbehind)
        (?<!negative_lookbehind)

        you could also do what I frequently do ... break it into two steps ...
        first to change missing and correct data, second to correct the
        over-corrections ... ie:
        ^!replace "$" >> "." rwsai ;--- adds period to EVERY line
        ^!replace "\.\.$" >> "." rwsai ;--- removes a double period at end of
        line

        all three of the above methods will put a period on empty or blank_only
        (or blank_tab_only if present) lines.

        If you don't want periods in this case as Sheri's suggestion handled,
        add this extra line to whichever of the three you chose
        ^!replace "^\s*\.$" >> "" rwsai

        In many cases its *is* possible to come up with a one-liner at the
        expense of obviousness and readability but its not always (IMO) wise to
        do so in case you or someone else will need to figure out after the fact
        what was being done.

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009
          Many thanks to you and the others!

          This gives me some more needed training in the finer points. I tend to bull my way through to
          get results I want, then go back and neaten things up later. This is one where I have been
          letting it make errors, then clean them up with another clip. I realize that makes the clips
          take more time, which is one reason for wanting to only make changes that are necessary.

          ;I document a lot.

          ;Just in case I need to come back to edit.. J

          I will play around with these suggestions to see which ones execute fastest and most accurately.
          Usually, after I dissect an example, it dawns on me what the documentation was trying to say. My
          master clip library is now over 7200 lines, so it is a very busy clip library, indeed. Any
          improvements in accuracy and/or speed are appreciated.

          John

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009
            Flo,

            This indeed works, but I don't understand what the (?!.) term does. Can you elaborate?

            Thanks!

            John

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009

              > Flo,
              >
              > This indeed works, but I don't understand what the (?!.) term does.
              > Can you elaborate?

              Negative Lookahead, i.e. string must not be followed by a dot. Or more exactly: Matches at a position where you don't see a dot when looking ahead.

              Flo
            • Flo
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009

                > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Flo,
                > >
                > > This indeed works, but I don't understand what the (?!.) term does.
                > > Can you elaborate?
                >
                > Negative Lookahead, i.e. string must not be followed by a dot.

                So it must be...

                ^!Replace "^(This is an example line[^.\r\n]*)(?!\.)" >> "$1." AWRS

                of course. Sorry again -- it's been a very long day. I better go to bed now...

                Flo
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009
                  Flo,

                  Thank you, I get that now. I assume that since it will only match when a period is not on the
                  end of the 'found' line, that it will execute substantially faster than one that finds each
                  line, period or not, as my example does. If that is the case, I can see that I might speed up my
                  overall time through this technique. Some of my documents have thousands of lines, and at least
                  one has over 60,000 lines.I'll time this to see what the difference is.

                  Thanks again!

                  John

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009
                    Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when looking at the clip and
                    looking at my sample. It worked on my sample without the \. surprisingly. So wouldn't the
                    replace actually be $1\. too?

                    In fact, this one doesn't work, while the first one did. Here are my example lines again:

                    This is an example line without a period

                    This is an example line with a period.

                    The first clip puts a period where it is needed, the second one produces this:

                    This is an example line without a period.

                    This is an example line with a perio.d.

                    I'm confused.the whole assertion thing is new to me.

                    No rush, get your sleep.and thanks again!

                    John

                    > > This indeed works, but I don't understand what the (?!.) term does.
                    > > Can you elaborate?
                    >
                    > Negative Lookahead, i.e. string must not be followed by a dot.

                    So it must be...

                    ^!Replace "^(This is an example line[^.\r\n]*)(?!\.)" >> "$1." AWRS

                    of course. Sorry again -- it's been a very long day. I better go to bed now...

                    Flo

                  • Sheri
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 6, 2009

                      > Thanks Sheri, but I really need it to work on the whole document,
                      > finding only the lines specified in the find part of the command.
                      > My documents have thousands of lines, and only a few need to be
                      > changed. Essentially, I am looking for sentences that have lost
                      > or were never given a period, but there are many more lines that
                      > are not sentences and should never get a period added.
                      >
                      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com> , "John Shotsky"
                      > <jshotsky@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I want to find certain lines and add a period only if there isn't
                      > > one already. If there is already a period, I want to leave it,
                      > > but if there is not one, I want to add one. It would be ok to
                      > > remove an existing one and replace it with a new one, of course.
                      > > But it has to work only on the lines I search on.
                      >
                      > Try it this way, untested but should work:
                      >
                      > ^!IfFalse ^$GetSelSize$ Next Else Skip_2
                      > ^!Prompt This clip requires a selection.
                      > ^!Goto End
                      > ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." RAHS

                      I misunderstood, thought you wanted to confine it to selected lines. All you would have needed to do is use only the replace command from the above, and put the cursor at the top of the file. Or change the H in options to a W, in which case it would always search from the top of the file through the whole document.

                    • Vance E. Neff
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
                        Hi,

                        For some reason the following clip seems to stop prematurely, but
                        NoteTab is still doing something in the back ground. CPU usage is at
                        %100. Plus, when I exit NoteTab, it seems to exit but the process is
                        still running at %100.

                        All this clip does is insert an If/Endif level indicator before each line.

                        Heres the clip:
                        ;^!setdebug ON
                        ^!Info Insert IF/ELSE rank levels
                        ;^!ToolBar New Document
                        ;^!SetFocus Frame2
                        ^!Jump TEXT_START
                        ^!Set %IfLevel%=0
                        ;^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                        :StartLoop
                        ^!Keyboard HOME
                        ^!Select LINE
                        :CheckForIf
                        ^!Find "^[\s\t]*if[\s\t]" ishr
                        ^!IfError CheckForEndif
                        :FoundIf
                        ^!Inc %IfLevel%
                        ^!Select LINE
                        ^!GoTo RankThisLine
                        :CheckForEndif
                        ^!Find "^[\s\t]*endif" ishr
                        ^!IfError RankThisLine
                        ^!Select LINE
                        :FoundEndif
                        ^!Dec %IfLevel%
                        :RankThisLine
                        ;^!Set %Line%=^$GetSelection$
                        ;^!SetFocus Frame1
                        ;^!Insert "^%IfLevel% ^%Line%"
                        ;^!SetFocus Frame2
                        ^!Keyboard up HOME
                        ^!Insert "^%IfLevel% "
                        ^!Find "^P" s
                        ^!IfError EndScan
                        ^!Goto StartLoop
                        :EndScan
                        ^!SetFocus Frame1

                        Any ideas?

                        Thanks,
                        Vance
                      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
                          Well without a sample of before and after it's a bit vague. I don't
                          completely understand what we are doing even.

                          My first comment would be to get rid of all keyboard commands if there
                          is an equivalent non-keyboard ...
                          example the home keyboard can be replaced by a jump doc start command.
                          That will be more efficient every time Vance.

                          Don

                        • Flo
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009

                            > Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
                            > looking at the clip and looking at my sample....

                            John,

                            Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.

                            My test lines are...

                            This is an example line without a period
                            Another line with a period.
                            This is an example line with a period.
                            Another line without a period
                            This is an example line without a period

                            I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.

                            So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...

                            ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

                            It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?

                            Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this case, Sheri's proposal...

                            ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS

                            would the job, of course.

                            Flo

                            P.S. to Alec:

                            Your first solution (without ?m)...

                            ^!replace "(?<!\.)$" >> "." rwsai

                            works fine for me too. Since it adds a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period it possibly doesn't meet the job (matching that sample string) (??)

                            > Another way is:
                            > ^!replace "(?m)([^\.])$" >> "$1." rwsai

                            This doesn't work for me. It "splits" the CRNL at the end of each line because, with [^\.], also the CR is matched. So, at the end of line #1 to #4, we get ".CR.CRNL".

                            By the way: We don't have to escape the dot here -- inside a character class, it's always regarded as a literal dot.

                          • Vance E. Neff
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
                              Don,

                              Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
                              ^!Keyboard commands in the future.

                              Vance

                            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 7, 2009
                                Vance E. Neff wrote:
                                > Don,
                                >
                                > Thanks, for some reason that fixed it. I'll attempt to keep away from
                                > ^!Keyboard commands in the future.
                                >
                                > Vance
                                Keyboard commands add timing into the equation ... the command takes a
                                keyboard stroke figuratively and so they vary with the speed of your
                                processor. Most any other command executes fully before moving on, but
                                a keyboard command only send the message to "stroke" the keyboard
                                essentially. So in this case, you may have had a command executing
                                prematurely because the keyboard stroke had not occurred even though it
                                was in process.

                                Often if you add keyboard strokes, it is worthwhile to add a delay
                                following them to be sure the computer actually received the stroke
                                before moving on. However there can be problems with timing just moving
                                from one machine to another in that one may require more delay than another.

                                Always best to avoid keyboard commands when not needed.
                              • Vance E. Neff
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                                  Hello,

                                  I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.

                                  The statement I am using is:
                                  ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                                  it always resolves to:
                                  ^!SetDocIndex 0

                                  I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                                  same results.
                                  What am I doing wrong?

                                  Vance
                                • Sheri
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello,
                                    >
                                    > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                                    >
                                    > The statement I am using is:
                                    > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                                    > it always resolves to:
                                    > ^!SetDocIndex 0
                                    >
                                    > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                                    > same results.
                                    > What am I doing wrong?
                                    >
                                    > Vance

                                    You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.

                                    ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$

                                    You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,

                                    ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$

                                  • Vance E. Neff
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                                      Sheri,

                                      Thanks, it never occurred to me that the path was required as part of
                                      the name, though it does make sense that it is.

                                      Thanks again!
                                      Vance

                                      Sheri wrote:
                                      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:
                                      >> Hello,
                                      >>
                                      >> I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                                      >>
                                      >> The statement I am using is:
                                      >> ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                                      >> it always resolves to:
                                      >> ^!SetDocIndex 0
                                      >>
                                      >> I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                                      >> same results.
                                      >> What am I doing wrong?
                                      >>
                                      >> Vance
                                      >>

                                      > You might try running this clip while cncjobsmisc.pm is the active document; it will give you the full document name.
                                      >
                                      > ^!Info ^$GetDocName()$
                                      >
                                      > You can copy the full name from the info popup, and paste it into your getdocindex function. I would put the name in double quotes, e.g.,
                                      >
                                      > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex("C:\Test Docs\cncjobsmisc.pm")$
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      > Sheri

                                    • Sheri
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                                        Flo wrote:
                                        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Thank you again, I was still missing how the dot was working when
                                        >> looking at the clip and looking at my sample....
                                        >>

                                        > John,
                                        >
                                        > Let me first try again to clear the job you want to do.
                                        >
                                        > My test lines are...
                                        >
                                        > This is an example line without a period
                                        > Another line with a period.
                                        > This is an example line with a period.
                                        > Another line without a period
                                        > This is an example line without a period
                                        >
                                        > I understand that you want to add a period to line #1 and #5 only. That is, to lines which (a) contain the sample string "This is an example line", and which (b) don't end with a period.
                                        >
                                        > So here's another proposal which combines Sheri's approach with the sample string...
                                        >
                                        > ^!Replace "^(This is an example line.*)[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                                        >
                                        > It adds a period to line #1 and #5 only. The rest is ignored. Is this the job you want to do?
                                        >
                                        > Maybe I misunderstood the whole issue and you want to add a period to ANY line that doesn't end with a period. In this case, Sheri's proposal...
                                        >
                                        > ^!Replace "[^\r\n.]\K$" >> "." AWRS
                                        >
                                        > would the job, of course.
                                        >
                                        > Flo

                                        Hi Flo,

                                        Seems I'm guilty of not reading the notes very closely, and looking only
                                        at the original sample, which sadly did not include any lines that
                                        shouldn't be altered. I was trying to help when I really didn't have
                                        time to scrutinize the messages.

                                        Now I see that he did say: "there are many [...] lines that are not
                                        sentences and should never get a period added"

                                      • Don Daugherty
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                                          Vance E. Neff wrote:
                                          > Hello,
                                          >
                                          > I am havng problems getting ^$GetDocIndex()$ to work.
                                          >
                                          > The statement I am using is:
                                          > ^!SetDocIndex ^$GetDocIndex(cncjobsmisc.pm)$
                                          > it always resolves to:
                                          > ^!SetDocIndex 0
                                          >
                                          > I tried quotes and assigning the document name to a variable with the
                                          > same results.
                                          > What am I doing wrong?
                                          >
                                          > Vance

                                          I think you need to include the full path with the name, e.g.,
                                          ^$GetDocIndex(c:\My Documents\cncjobmisc.pm)$

                                          It seems to work fine with or without quotes inside the parentheses.
                                        • John Shotsky
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 9, 2009
                                            Flo,

                                            Yes, you have interpreted my requirements correctly. Also, your clip does it as needed. I would never have come up with
                                            that on my own. It'll be worked into my clip library in several places.

                                            I didn't know the dot was considered literally inside a character class.that probably explains why some of my previous
                                            clips didn't work as I expected. (I usually try things quite a few ways before I ask for help.). Also, when searching
                                            for line ends, I almost always use \R, which matches any kind of line end. If I'm replacing, I use \n as the
                                            replacement.

                                            Sorry to be late in answering - I contracted a virus 'HACKTOOL' from a web site, and it took out my boot drive. I wasn't
                                            even doing anything, but up came a blue screen of death, computer halted, then wouldn't boot again. I've spent the last
                                            couple days rebuilding from scratch almost. Yes, I ordinarily run virus software all the time, but I had just rebuilt
                                            this system and was waiting for my Norton antivirus software to arrive, so I was browsing the internet using only sites
                                            that I'd been to before safely. Unfortunately, one of them now slips you HACKTOOL when you visit. In case any of you
                                            have been browsing for graphic/image utilities, don't even think about visiting wwwdotbrothersoftdotcom.

                                            John